Alesis io26 and io14 Interfaces

Anderton

• Members

Craig I want to thank you so much for this review (I'm one of the people who requested it). I have ordered an io26 from Sam Ash (although it's taking it's time (they tell me it's backordered)).

I'm currently running a AMD X2 4.3g w/ 4G ram 1T raid ATI PCI express video. The multitrack app I use is Nuendo 3.2 (I'm guessing that this is the same engine as SX and won't present a problem). I use Sony Sound Forge for 8 for mastering and misc editing duties. I also do occasional video work with premier pro 1.5 as well.

As soon as my io26 arrives I'll be happy to share the results and let you know if there's any compatability problems (from reading this thread, it sounds like there won't be).

Thanks again. Your the best

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As soon as my io26 arrives I'll be happy to share the results and let you know if there's any compatability problems (from reading this thread, it sounds like there won't be).

Based on my experience with Steinberg software and my X2 computer, you're going to be a happy camper. Do let us know what you experience.

• Members

Hey Anderton I got Cubase to record and it sounds great. I was having some audio dropouts at first, but after I clicked the 'release drivers to background' button in the device setup it was all good. I was selecting the in and outs wrong. And even better my plugins from another program work with Cubase even better then they did with the first program. Sweet.

Very cool! But I'm curious what you mean about plug-ins "working better." One thing I've experienced with the io26 is if I back off the samples to 128, it opens up a lot of "processor headroom" for plug-ins, so they seem more "solid" and less prone to causing problems. Is that what you mean?

• Members

Here we go Craig[As per your request]: This are excerpts from the ProReview Thread pages 6 and up and also new info.My notes and experiences with the io26:

"The io26 It's working fine with Reaper, so far............"

" I got drop outs with Sonar Home Studio 4...............

It's working great with Reaper.............. so far..."

I kept trying different buffer settings

"I adjusted the Latency[i'm working with my desktop and Reaper] and so far no drop outs and no problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

"

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolrahool:

Hey Vilo you mean that you adjusted the buffer size settings right? What do you have those set to?

My answer:

Buffer size in samples:192

Buffer size in Milliseconds:4ms[sets automatically when the Buffer size in samples is set ]

"I'm on a PC and using Reaper: http://reaper.fm/

WELL GOOD NEWS FROM ME!!!

I adjusted the buffer size to 192, and the io26 is now working on my desktop and laptop, with Reaper [laptop] and Sonar HS 4, Reaper on my Desktop, I'll try SonarHS4 on my laptop later on on the week"

Page 9 of this thread: Screen Shot of my settings:

Mine looks like this....

RF1HDM.jpg

I'm on a PC and also using the io26 with a laptop with no problems

FYI: @ 192 Samples I Have I recorded 4 tracks in my laptop and also in my desktop with no latency that I can hear and no dropouts.

My daughter used it to record a demo track, acoustic guitar and vocals, with the io26/Reaper and an acoustic electric guitar , I gave her a crash course and she did it with no problems.

Some of the members of my band are out of town, but I want to use it to record the whole band and see what happens, I have to mention that I have used the Alesis Multimix FW16 to record them with no problems. I know Alesis is working on the io26 problems, so I'm sticking with it, specially because I can't find a unit with all this features at the price I paid for[$299.99]

I'll keep recording, if I encounter any problems or new ways of making it work better I'll let you guys know.

• Members

Very cool! But I'm curious what you mean about plug-ins "working better." One thing I've experienced with the io26 is if I back off the samples to 128, it opens up a lot of "processor headroom" for plug-ins, so they seem more "solid" and less prone to causing problems. Is that what you mean?

I mean that the plug-ins sounded more realistic with Cubase then it did with Krystal, and the interfaces seemed to work better (i.e. effects banks that I didn't know were in the plugin were there. This was on my home laptop - 728 mb ram, 2.8 GHZ Intel Celeron Processor. I think that maybe one of the reasons the plug-ins sound better is maybe the higher audio quality?

• Members

Last week it appeared that my noise problem was eliminated by going back to an early driver, version 1.5d0. It turns out the noise still occurs. It's infrequent, but recurring. While recording, every 7 or 8 minutes the recording breaks up into noise for about five seconds and then cleans up again. It has been doing this over and over. You might not hear it if you only recorded 3 minute songs.

I've placed a sample at the bottom of my io|26 summary web site. See:
http://www.bmumford.com/tmp/alesis/noise.mp3

• Members

i have read allot of this thread... maybe i missed it but is there a comparison of the alesis io26 and the digi 003? im going to buy one or the other in a day or so. any advice would be awesome/ i realize a main difference is the programs and the imputs. is it worth the extra loot to have pro tools and its hardware?

• Members

Basically if you want to use Pro Tools, you have to have a Pro Tools-approved interface made by either Digidesign or M-Audio (for the "M-Powered" version of Pro Tools). If you want to use something else (Cubase, Sonar, DP, whatever), then you can use any interface you want, including the Digidesign ones. As the Digi interfaces tend to include Pro Tools LE, you're paying more for the interface but getting the software along with it; but you're then "locked" into that system, and I think many would feel you could get a better deal by choosing a particular piece of software and an interface to go with it. The io26 is extremely cost-effective, compared to what Digi offers; and software like Reaper, as recommended by our friend ViLo and many others, makes a very inexpensive package that does a lot.

• Members

I'm not sure about Alesis hardware. I just brought home the IO26, connected it to a brand new MacPro (dual 2.6 dual cores, 4 GB RAM, 1.7GB RAID). Connected up just fine to both the computer and an ADAT. I set the IO26 to sync to the ADAT clock. I get audio from all tracks, but in Logic all the audio is mixed to two channels instead of independent tracks.

My biggest complaint thusfar is how *terrible* the manuals are. I think this one's going back to the store, and I'll stay away from Alesis as I spec out my university's new $500k audio lab.

• Members

I'm not sure about Alesis hardware. I just brought home the IO26, connected it to a brand new MacPro (dual 2.6 dual cores, 4 GB RAM, 1.7GB RAID). Connected up just fine to both the computer and an ADAT. I set the IO26 to sync to the ADAT clock. I get audio from all tracks, but in Logic all the audio is mixed to two channels instead of independent tracks.

My biggest complaint thusfar is how *terrible* the manuals are. I think this one's going back to the store, and I'll stay away from Alesis as I spec out my university's new $500k audio lab.

So it works, but you don't like the manuals?:rolleyes: Intresting!

• Members

thanks for the fast reply!!! i do want to be familiar with protools. ive used sonar and garageband mainly and feel i should move to protools but have never used it yet.

is the quality of the imputs/preamps and other features on the io26 as good as on the digi 003? or should i not be so damn picky and save myself some $$

i went to guitar center to get the io26 and the people there didnt even know what it was... seemed kinda weird. they had none in stock.

this is a random question but i cant find it out myself, does cakewalk make a mac version of sonar that doesnt have to be run on windows?

• Members
i went to guitar center to get the io26 and the people there didnt even know what it was... seemed kinda weird. they had none in stock.

You seem surprised by this. :confused:

This is pretty standard for most of the GC stores I've been in. :lol:

• Members

thanks for the fast reply!!! i do want to be familiar with protools. ive used sonar and garageband mainly and feel i should move to protools but have never used it yet.

is the quality of the imputs/preamps and other features on the io26 as good as on the digi 003? or should i not be so damn picky and save myself some $$

this is a random question but i cant find it out myself, does cakewalk make a mac version of sonar that doesnt have to be run on windows?

No Cakewalk doesn't make a Mac version of Sonrar. They only just recently made Two new soft synths Dimension Pro and Rapture multi-platform.

Ed

• Members

Connected up just fine to both the computer and an ADAT. I set the IO26 to sync to the ADAT clock. I get audio from all tracks, but in Logic all the audio is mixed to two channels instead of independent tracks.

Sounds to me like the outputs in Logic aren't assigned properly, I have no trouble getting independent outs from ANY host program to the io26. But sometimes you have to do a little work to reassign them if they were expecting a different interface.

• Members
I found that the manual made it easy to install and use the interface. What do you find lacking?

I cruised thru it, I did not need the manual.....It was to easy to install, Kristal and Reaper picked up the io26 real easy, in Kristal, I just have to go to preferences and activate the i/o's the first time, then I just arm the track and Kristal will choose the right i/o's, In Reaper I have to assign the input when I arm the track or before that, very easy, but not in SOnar HS4, the more you pay for the software the more complicated :D:D:D

• Members

that's nothing...I went in there weeks ago to ask about the io26, they said they hadn't seen one, didn't have one, and didn't know anything about. I looked more closely at the boxes behind the counter and saw a box for the io26. Brand new, in stock.

Hilarious...

• Members

I had the same experience at 8th Street Music. It would be nice if these guys knew what was going on. In my dream world, one of them might have asked me what kind of system I was using and said "oh, hey, I heard some guys using power pc macs were having trouble with that." Instead I got a "Uhm, let me go check." They acted pretty surprised when I wanted to open the box and see how solid the thing was, too. It seems strange to me that people would just take it on faith that the thing is what they expect it to be. If you're ordering it from the net, fine, but if it's right there in front of you it's worth taking a look.

• Members

well i guess im going to order the io 26 in a day or 2 from musiciansfriend.

im going to run it on garageband at first without even trying cubase.

anyone have any comparision info on garageband vs. cubase le?

Archived