TC Electronic Konnekt 24D - The Next Generation

Anderton

• Members

Actually the first driver that supported fabrik c&r as cubase plugins worked better for me plugin-wise. Now I seem to get latency on the effects whenever I use them.

PentiumD 3.0/XPProSP2/SX3.1.1

/Mikael

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

(re)Hello !

Now, I've another question.

Has anybody ever used fabrik effects in a live configuration ? I mean, do you think it is possible to plug the K24D on insert (for Fbrk C) or on auxiliary (for Fbrk R) on a mixing desk ??

Thank you

Kevin

Fabrik C as inserts, yes, as long as you use the K24D's input 1&2

and you can even choose whitch outputs for the return (K24D>setup>3&4output source)

As for the FabrikR as AUX, it is possible and on any input BUT it will not be perfect because you still get the dry signal as we don't have a PreFader option.

When we get to the era of asking for new features, I hope it will be one of them.

Hope this helps.

• Members

It is a very old wound that is affecting certain kinds of PC notebooks.
(I don't know what about MACs)
If you're interrested in more details, RME's Matthias Carstens, wrote, in 2001,

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/hdsp_notetune.htm

So it is not a K24D's driver issue.

The fact that the K24D's driver 1.0.1.8x was not sensitive to this problem, shows that more performant drivers, are more demanding, and are harmed by the, more than 20ms that take some notebooks to switch the fan on & off.

It is not a hardware problem, as after reinstalling windows XP without ACPI (i.e. MPS MultiProcessor PC) the dropouts disapear. the fan still switches regularly but it takes just between 1 & 2 ms.

B.T.W this is not recommanded to guys who are not VERY familiar with computers setup, drivers install ... and many functions will not be available.
One guy has reported a CPU getting very hot (85 deg. C) when his notebook is without ACPI.

I am in touch with the HP support team who are reporting to their technical services and I think it would help if we could supply to our manufacturers, a list of PC notebooks (with ACPI) that are affected by the cooling fan problem and more important, those witch are not.

I hope, Mr. Anderton, that you have no objection that this thread is used to
collect the needed information, as it is not a K24D nor a T.C. issue.

Thank you.

• Members
:D :D :D :D

Seen in a well known manufacturer support site. (Name edited)

Quote:

Right click on your xxx interface icon in your system tray just to the left of the time. Set the CPU setting to HIGH. If HIGH setting does not improve performance, try LOW.

End of quote.

:D :D :D :D

• Members
It is not a hardware problem, as after reinstalling windows XP without ACPI (i.e. MPS MultiProcessor PC) the dropouts disapear. the fan still switches regularly but it takes just between 1 & 2 ms.

I don't recommend people do that (install XP as Standard PC rather than with APM or ACPI). It's better to turn off power management (as in my previous message) which merely requires a reboot, than to reinstall Windows.

As a last resort, if the above suggestions are still not helping folks with dropouts, you can also try adding the /PCILOCK option to the boot.ini file which will allow the BIOS to set the IRQ levels rather than XP. This will probably be more effective for desktop users rather than laptop owners since you can move the PCI firewire card around to try and get an unshared interrupt, or if all you can manage is a shared one, at least a shared IRQ that won't be active when you're running an audio program:

devices.png

You can free up at least a couple of IRQs by turning off the serial ports and parallel ports in the BIOS, as well as the floppy drive. Also consider turning off any built in sound card too and turn off system sounds in Control Panel so they won't go through your 24D.

As a footnote, by managing IRQs and turning off power management, I was able to get the 1.1 driver to work flawlessly in Sonar with a 128 sample latency. In the current 1.2x beta, I can get down to a pop and click free 96 samples. And this is on my older, backup system (main system down for repairs) which is a socket 754 AGP motherboard with an MT-37 cpu (laptop chip).

• Members

Hi folks,

My report as follows:
:thu: :thu: :thu:

I did a cold uninstall manually including windows registry just In case, before I Installed the new driver 1.20.144. Everything whent fine with no error screens or reboots. So, new driver and firmware Instalation whent like a breez.

My first test was done with Ableton Live Lite 6 (which I like more every time), about two hours of running a loop with no problems, recorded two audio tracks and two midi tracks with no performance problems at all at 128 samples and a CPU load of about 25% with no mixdown. Note: The Lite version has limited tracks, will upgrade soon to full version, great audio engine, fast and easy workflow and very flexible! Oh and very important, it dose what they say it has to do!

The only issue I had was when I switched to 128 samples from my original 256 samples, flashing blue light (never happen before in 1.03), but as soon as I closed the T.C Near GUI and opend it again, the blue light whent steady again, so not really an issue. Had no DAW running when I did this BTW.

Next was Sonar 4, ran EZDrummer as DX and to my suprise, no more accelaration in playback as it use to happen with the 1.03 driver with MIDI files, so happy camper there too! Also another great DAW, even though it´s allot older then others!

I also tried Cubase LE, whent fine, but since I lost my Interest with Stainberg, I didn´t play around to much with it.

All in all, I think this driver is allot more stable then 1.03. I did try 1.10, but after some time I did give me some problems, specialy with Fabric C and R, so I revirted back to 1.03, which also gave me problems (blue screen of murrder after 20min with the unit on). 1.03 was never the same after installing 1.10. I think there was a problem with T.C Near when reverting to a earlier version before, I would say that it just didnt uninstall something on the way. Anyway I think thats fixed now cuz everything whent smooth with the new driver. I did push my system hard this time, with closing windows and programs fast, changing VST´s and all that and NO problems :D

I did stop using my DAW when I was getting those ugly blue screens of death for some time beacuse if I didn´t, I think I would have punched the hell out of my laptop! So I dicided to stop and wait till the new driver came out. I don´t know if it´s because I havent used my unit for some time, but I would say it even sounds better now! I would also say that the unit dosent get as hot as before, not that It got very hot before, it just seems to run cooler now. Hey, maybe I think the K24D is the moon of my deep blue sky, I don´t know, but aim sure happy now that I can spend more time again recording and not building my own stompboxes as before...:thu: Had to find something to ease my hungry music hart :love:

Hey man, aim just VERY happy now! I hope the new driver stays as good as now and no new issues arise with it, I doubt it, as I think T.C has done it´s homework, which I was confident they would. There are more test I have to go through, like plugg-ins, assimilator and digital conexions, but the most Important test has been achived for me, which is beeing hable to record without beeing afraid of a system crash! There´s nothing worst then beeing Inspaired while your recording a good take and your system goes out the window! You know the feeling...

A 10 for T.C, Mike for holding in there and Craig for his review´s and expertise :thu: This post will be sent to T.C as report with my system specs.

Good care everyone and once again, thank you Mike and Craig.

Best regards,

Mike

• Members

Hello Mike Martin and all !

I am a newbie for both Konnekt and Cubase SX3 here ..( I used the M-AUDIO and Adobe Audition before and would like to go up with higher hardware gear and more pro software tool .)

After doing the research for awhile I decided to buy the Konnekt 24D because I really like the TC effect - reverb that I used the M-ONE XL effect unit before . I got the 24D last week, the excitement replaced with the frustration because I got so many problems to get this unit work properly, after trying 2 desktop and one laptop, finally I can get it work with one desktop .pheww.. I did contact the TC support but no helps thus far .

One problem that I have right now and hope Mike or others help me is . It does not matter I used cubase or adobe audition to record the vocal. the 24D only record one channel - the left one only when I configure the track to record in stereo . There is only Mic connect to the 24d, nothing else . I have no problem with M-AUDIO FIREWIRE unit

Thank you for all your helps

best regards,
K

• Members

I seem to be having a problem with Adobe Audition only playing out of the left channel (I haven't tried to record yet). I'll see what I can conjure up...

Kim, what version of Audition are you using? I've got 1.5.

Cubase LE and Zynewave Podium seem to be fine except for the occasional fuzz out.

JP

• Members

It gets stranger... It would seem in Audition that the Left and Right channels are reversed. So, it's actually the Right channel that's playing... only it's coming through the Left output. This is verified in the TC Near panel meters and my hardware monitor control.

Again, Podium (v 1.77 CM) is just fine with Left/Right channels and panning.

JP

• Members

I seem to be having a problem with Adobe Audition only
playing
out of the left channel (I haven't tried to record yet).

I ran into the same bug in the previous beta: left channel output only through the MME driver. ASIO was fine. My "fix" was to uninstall, then reinstall the driver. It hasn't happened again though.

What happens if you turn off the unit, reboot your machine, then turn it on again?

Also, make sure you report this through the beta test email.

• Members

I seem to be having a problem with Adobe Audition only
playing
out of the left channel (I haven't tried to record yet). I'll see what I can conjure up...

Kim, what version of Audition are you using? I've got 1.5.

Cubase LE and Zynewave Podium seem to be fine except for the occasional fuzz out.

JP

Hello jpleong,

The adobe audition I use is version 1.5 . Please record and let me know whether you get both channel or only left channel only . I did try the 24d beta driver 1.2, but doesnot help !

For Cubase users, is there tutorial somewhere show how to setup the 24D with Cubase SX3 ? any tips and helps are appreciated .

please note that I currently recording vocal only .

Thanks jpleong and all , have a great day!

K

• Members

Mikews99 and Kim, still a no-go after a reboot and reinstall. Same exact problem with Audition. It happens in Edit mode, too. This has got to be someway the drivers interact with the software, as I was having latency-compensation issues with Audition before the beta drivers.

But, alas, no issues with Cubase LE and Podium. Kim, have you tried the included Cubase LE or downloaded the Podium demo? Both playback with my Konnekt, no problem.

I still haven't tried recording yet but I will try later today and we'll see what happens!

JP

• Members

Kim, have you tried the included Cubase LE or downloaded the Podium demo? Both playback with my Konnekt, no problem.

I still haven't tried recording yet but I will try later today and we'll see what happens!

JP

JP,

I haven't tried on Cubase LE, however I did try on Cubase SX3, the same problem, only left channel has been recorded. I contact TC technical support, they said this is normal (??). This case I think we can't record vocal in stereo mode . Can we ?? Please let me know after your recording test

Thanks, cheers

K

• Members

Kim, I was able to get a stereo signal recorded (hand clapping) in Adobe Audition. Of course, playback was only on the left channel...

How do you have Audition configured? Also, where do you live?

JP

• Members

after instaling the new driver,every thing seemed to be ok
but today I tried to use the assimilator plug and it loads up
but is Disabled,downloaded and tried to instal the new version
of the plug but I get a pop up saying it cant find the konnekt??
any ideas people???

• Members

Big Ted,
Assimilator should not be downloaded seperately from the current (beta) driver package. Its included within the current package. If you downloaded it seperately, you should uninstall it. Then you'll have to run the driver install again and it should automatically install Assimilator.

• Members

i wonder about where the opinion from someone like tunai is.

he wrote on the old thread about every day how bad the situation is with the old drivers.

tunai???

i´m no tunai of no sort, but still wanted to state that my current cobination of gear and soft is far from perfect. it takes ´bout a couple of minutes to get in glitch heaven. changing buffer size will take the pain away... for ´bout a couple of minutes, then the all thing starts all over again. not much music making in konnekt turff for your´s truly.

K24D still is a musically useless product to me, so far, and the Fabrik effects are just LAME as they are now.

but TC seem to be on it (at last) and some improvements do have been made so far, and support has answered mails, and Mike is back and helpfull, so there are fewer reasons to complain, i guess.

well, that pretty much sums it.

Cheers,

Miguel

Toshiba satellite m-30 laptop, Pentium M 1,8 GHz, 512 Mb, Win XP home SP 2, Ableton Live 6.0.7, Reason 3

P.S. - i would like to know how c4logic (or other toshiba owners) is goin.

• Members

Cheers,

Miguel

Toshiba satellite m-30 laptop, Pentium M 1,8 GHz, 512 Mb, Win XP home SP 2, Ableton Live 6.0.7, Reason 3

P.S. - i would like to know how c4logic (or other toshiba owners) is goin.

hello miguel,

well, for me changing buffer size does not take the pain away. with the latest beta drivers i have drop outs every 30 seconds, and with drivers 1.10 i am able to listen to music *almost* without drop outs in WDM mode.

in ableton i cannot presently work with konnekt. glitches happen when i simply start playing a sample. have already reported bugs about the effects - distortion happens on the fabrik c when too many live tracks are run through it. tried various settings on fabrik c - no luck.. changing system settings in tc near (buffer size, frequency rate) will stop audio and will leave the playback sub-process in memory, until i kill it with task manager.

toshiba satellite pro m30 / winxp professional sp2 / ableton live 6.0.7

-andrejs

• Members

Big Ted,

Assimilator should not be downloaded seperately from the current (beta) driver package. Its included within the current package. If you downloaded it seperately, you should uninstall it. Then you'll have to run the driver install again and it should automatically install Assimilator.

yes Mike the new driver installed assimilaitor but as i said

when the plugin gui shows it as a red disabled sign

on the screen cant see any way to enable it?

I thought a new instal of assimilaitor might do the trick

but it wont allow me to install anyway,so I cant use it!

• Members

The beta version 1.20 is AVAILABLE for MAC !! coooool

But, I'm so upset, I don't have any time to try it before a few days !!...didn't you know french people were never happy ?

I wait for your tests...maybe I won't even install it...it depends on your comments (just a joke, I hope it'll work fine)

• Members

Note!

Assimilator Konnekt users should uninstall the Assimilator before installing

Please make sure to update your firmware

Windows (installer build 1444):

Driver:

The driver is now signed by Microsoft.

Installation process is now very smooth: run the installer and connect your device -

no questions asked.

Control Panel:

System settings: support for 48 and 32 samples buffer sizes

Fixed: crash when resetting to defaults

Fixed: crash when uploading firmware

Fixed: Nick Name now works as one would expect

Fixed: device arrival/removal crash. Still quite slow.

Mac (installer build 1463):

Driver:

Latest driver 3.0.0.36.

Known issues in this beta version

Win: Potential clicks and pops when the TC Near control panel and/or Fabrik plug-ins are open. Fixed before final

Mac: Potential crash of Fabrik plug-ins when changing sample rate

Win+Mac: Since this is a public beta and not a final release, the "Check for updates" function in the installer and control panel will prompt a wrong message saying that you don't have the latest version

Archived