TC Electronic Konnekt 24D - The Next Generation

Anderton

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It isn't lost; they are ignoring it. I sent an email to TC support two weeks ago and got nothing but the sound of crickets chirping.

Wish I could hear even the constant chirping of crickets from my Konnekt...

• Members

Most ASIO drivers use custom IOControl calls to the hardware. The WDM drivers are there mainly for easy Windows MME/DirectX compatibility, so I wouldn't expect WDM drivers to have the same I/O as ASIO drivers.

????

My olds AI (Gina 24 and Waveterminal 192X) both showed same IO´s (All it had) using WDM or Asio drivers.

The fact that only appears a stereo analog IO in WDM driver of K24 is , for my taste a clearly driver issue.

• Members

That doesn't tell me enough to be of much help...are you referring to the various known issues, or does it just plain not work, and if so, what's the problem? Aside from the issues of using effects as VSTs, I'm having very good luck on Windows XP SP2 with all my various programs...even Sonar.

I´m running Fabrik R like Vst plugin in Sonar 6,2 and it work great.

Sonar runs fine with K24 new driver (No dropouts or speedups) and the sound quality is superb.

The only problems I found are:

It Works ok in 256 samples Latency, in 128 and below there are a lot of cliks!

In WDM driver mode, only 1 stereo IO appears (No Digital, Adat, Fabrik and so on)

My setup:

Asus PG5gdc deluxe MB

Intel 3,2 mhz Prescott

1 GB Ram

2 Sata WD 200GB HD

Nvidia Geforce 6200 G. adapter

MIdiman midisport 4x4 USB midi interface

• Members

????

My olds AI (Gina 24 and Waveterminal 192X) both showed same IO´s (All it had) using WDM or Asio drivers.

That doesn't mean anything. I have an old Aardvark Aark card that has 10 ASIO I/O's, 10 MME I/O's, and NO WDM I/O's. It all depends on how the manufacturer decides to write the drivers. Like I said in my previous message, some drivers completely ignore WDM except maybe for basic services, and do all of the professional I/O through ASIO. For a company with limited programming resources, this makes total sense.

• Members

Just received a replacement for my faulty Konnekt 24D. Excluding the public holiday it was a two week turnaround for them to pass it on to the authorised service centre, investigate the fault, decide it couldn't be fixed and send me a new one- not too shabby at all for an internet retailer!

I was keen to try out the new 1.2 beta on my Intel Macbook. Loaded it up, updated the firmware, fired up Ableton Live 6 and ....

the distorted bitcrusher effect was great! Except I wasn't using one.
Rolled back to 1.1 again. Oh well.

• Members

macbook pro

some issues with the new beta driver:

- drops out at lauching a software
- tc near cp is still long to open
- audio distortion from time to time (logic express 7.2). restart is necessary.
- AU plug in don't work,appearing as 'disable' when running at 48kHz.
-Assimilator OK

back to previous driver.
I am not peacefull when working on stage with the K24.

• Members

TC eventually did come through with a workable Windows driver and they say they're going to come up with a Mac one next, so I'm withholding judgement until the new one comes out.

But you cannot withhold your judgment as to whether they released Konnekt Live already. If even they admit that the driver isn't workable at the moment, why is it so hard to admit that the way they do business really isn't that admirable.

And I don't see how it helps if Alesis or some others are having problems as well. If you have a faulty product, you shouldn't sell it, even if others are doing it as well.

• Members

I don't think saying "We know the Mac drivers have problems" is "playing it down." What I don't know is how many people these problems affect.

I don't see any Mac users presenting any new information in this thread, just restatements of the "There isn't a new Mac driver and I'm upset" posts. The purpose of this new thread was supposed to be to hold the new Windows drivers up to scrutiny, and as they're working a lot better, that's what you've been hearing about from me (and of course, others).

Nobody ever said that is playing it down. Maybe we need remind ourselves of how this started.

I pointed out that the Mac drivers have problems and yet TC are releasing Konnekt Live. Neatopepito replied that it's lame to cry unethical blah blah - instead one should return ones faulty equipment. Not a very cogent reply, considering I don't have any faulty equipment, but you seconded him (that's how I think most people interpret the "thumbs up" sign).

Also, when you say you don't see any Mac users presenting any new information, at least my post presented a new insight - namely that TC are releasing a product they know is not Mac-compatible (at least to any satisfying degree). This casts doubt on their actions last year as well, with regard to the other Konnekts.

And I haven't objected to you saying how well your Konnekt works (or the others). But this time you said it in an inappropriate context.

While it's true that we don't know how great a percentage exactly of Mac users are affected by driver problems, I think it's clear enough that the problems are serious enough to make it unethical to market Konnekt Live as Mac-compatible.

• Members

I would rather say that you are just wasting your energy whining about other people raising important issues here.

To repeat, I am not mad about anything, I just wanted to open a conversation about whether it seems likely that TC's actions are a bit suspicious. I hope this will now finally be clear to you.

• Members

That doesn't mean anything. I have an old Aardvark Aark card that has 10 ASIO I/O's, 10 MME I/O's, and
NO
WDM I/O's. It all depends on how the manufacturer decides to write the drivers. Like I said in my previous message, some drivers completely ignore WDM except
maybe
for basic services, and do all of the professional I/O through ASIO. For a company with limited programming resources, this makes total sense.

This is true, TC seems to be a Company with limited programing resources...

Too bad for a 500 bucks piece of hardware.

For my taste, If the AI has WDM drivers, it will have all IO´s.

• Members

I pointed out that the Mac drivers have problems and yet TC are releasing Konnekt Live. Neatopepito replied that it's lame to cry unethical blah blah - instead one should return ones faulty equipment. Not a very cogent reply, considering I don't have any faulty equipment, but you seconded him (that's how I think most people interpret the "thumbs up" sign).

I seconded that if something doesn't work, it should be returned. Which I think makes sense - a lot of stores offer return policies in case something doesn't work. For example, I just bought a hard drive at Office Max. I wasn't sure if it would work with my system but I had 15 days to find out. As it turned out, it worked. If it hadn't, I would have returned it rather than complain about incompatibilities with my system. Maybe I've just grown to accept that a lot of computer-based stuff simply doesn't work with particular systems.

Also, when you say you don't see any Mac users presenting any new information, at least my post presented a new insight - namely that TC are releasing a product they know is not Mac-compatible (at least to any satisfying degree). This casts doubt on their actions last year as well, with regard to the other Konnekts.

Yes, but I was also asked whether the Konnekt Live would be covered in this thread, and I said no. And I said this thread was about the Windows driver for the K24D. I can't say ANYTHING yet about the Konnekt Live, as I have not seen it, have not tested it, and have had no reports about how it works with the Mac. Perhaps you are assuming it is the same product because it's the Konnekt line, and has a similar case and specs...for all I know it uses different hardware to get around the problem. Or maybe it doesn't. But at least I'm willing to admit I don't know. You say that TC is marketing a product that they know is not compatible with Macs. I say that is a very real possibility, but it cannot be stated as truth yet. I believe in the concept of "innocent until proven guilty." If reports start coming in that the Konnekt Live is not compatible with Macs, that is an entirely different matter.

And I haven't objected to you saying how well your Konnekt works (or the others). But this time you said it in an inappropriate context.

On the contrary. As clearly stated, this thread is about the new Windows drivers for the K24D. That is what I am talking about. That is the context. I don't believe anyone knows yet what the status of the Konnekt Live is with Macs. Have you tested it? Do you know TC didn't make a hardware change? I don't, and I'm not about to make judgements without facts. I can, however, make a judgement on the new Windows drivers with the K24D because I can test that, for real, here in my studio.

While it's true that we don't know how great a percentage exactly of Mac users are affected by driver problems, I think it's clear enough that the problems are serious enough to make it unethical to market Konnekt Live as Mac-compatible.

That is speculation. I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm not saying your right; I'm saying you don't know. If you have tested the K-Live or know people who have tested it with Macs and they've had the same problems described here, then there is no doubt, and your statement goes from speculation to fact (assuming of course that the number of people having problems with Macs represents a significant number of people, not just isolated cases).

• Members

Hello There,

Newbie on this forum, i've read all the topics since the beginning and i want to share my experience with mi K24D and Mac drivers. I use a Macbook Pro 2.16, with an external FW800 Hard drive alongside Logic Express 7.2.3 :

With 1.10, it's absolutely flawless, no problem regarding latency (256 and even 128 works great), and everything is working nicely. i mean, for me. Of course we need improvements but it seems that v1.2 will take care of that.

With 1.20 beta, no problem for installation (i've uninstalled v1.10 before moving up) but it's really unstable, pops and cliks under 256, AU plugs includes delay in the audio flux, weird, i used a Creamware Scope before on a PC system and there were an option in logic audio "Plug in delay compensation" for DSP systems but it does not seem that it's included in recent mac versions of logic...maybe i'm wrong.

Anyway, before going any further, i'd like to know if it'll be possible to use multiple instances of the Fabrik C/R plug in logic because one instance only is quite frustrating....

Take care

• Members

to be precise

-fx on the input AND output(24d has fx only on the inputs)

hello. again, i'm still confused... i thought the Konnekt 24's VST plugin integration allowed you to place the plugins anywhere within your DAW, including the outpus (thus, i can have the 3band compresor going on my DAW's main stereo out, yes?).

so, please clarify someone: can the VST plugins be placed on your DAW output?? thanks!

• Members

I seconded that if something doesn't work, it should be returned. Which I think makes sense - a lot of stores offer return policies in case something doesn't work. For example, I just bought a hard drive at Office Max. I wasn't sure if it would work with my system but I had 15 days to find out. As it turned out, it worked. If it hadn't, I would have returned it rather than complain about incompatibilities with my system. Maybe I've just grown to accept that a lot of computer-based stuff simply doesn't work with particular systems.

I think this was said by neatopepito in response to the worries I raised. And you seconded him in that context. And I still don't see the cogency of the reply. But if this is all you mean, then so be it. I agree: if something doesn't work, you should return the product, and in the general case, there's no reason to start complaining about unethical companies etc. But it is also clear that if there is reason to think that the company knew it's not going to work in your system and still sold it to you, there is also reason to voice these concerns. So the conversation drifted aside from the topic.

• Members

Yes, but I was also asked whether the Konnekt Live would be covered in this thread, and I said no. And I said this thread was about the Windows driver for the K24D. I can't say ANYTHING yet about the Konnekt Live, as I have not seen it, have not tested it, and have had no reports about how it works with the Mac. Perhaps you are assuming it is the same product because it's the Konnekt line, and has a similar case and specs...for all I know it uses different hardware to get around the problem. Or maybe it doesn't. But at least I'm willing to admit I don't know. You say that TC is marketing a product that they know is not compatible with Macs. I say that is a very real possibility, but it cannot be stated as truth yet. I believe in the concept of "innocent until proven guilty." If reports start coming in that the Konnekt Live is not compatible with Macs, that is an entirely different matter.

Yes, Konnekt Live is off-topic in itself, but the reason I took this up originally was because I thought it might show in new light what happened last year with the 24D.

Now there's a misunderstanding here for which I am partly to blame. I've said that "I hope I'm wrong" and I've asked people to "correct me if I'm wrong". Of course, this kind of language should make it clear that I don't claim to know anything, I'm just raising concerns, with some justification I think. But then again, I think I also used a knowing tone of voice in a couple of posts, so the misunderstanding is, in part, my own fault.

Anyway, you're right to point out that there might be significant differences in the hardware. And this is a cogent reply to the worries I raised. So let's all stay optimistic. (On the other hand, Mike or somebody else from TC could have chimed in immediately - but they didn't.)

• Members

Anyway, you're right to point out that there might be significant differences in the hardware. And this is a cogent reply to the worries I raised. So let's all stay optimistic. (On the other hand, Mike or somebody else from TC could have chimed in immediately - but they didn't.)

Yes. Let me clarify - the questions you've raised are completely valid. I just don't have any answers yet...

• Members

Somethings I have noticed with the new Windows drivers-> though the audio will "fuzz-out" such events are happening less and less as I use the Konnekt and Podium more and more (!). Also, when the audio fuzzes out in playback, if I move my mouse cursor to the taskbar, the audio will often clean-up after one or two seconds. Sometimes I have to move the cursor to the taskbar more than once but I've found that, at least during playback, this lets me mix and work without having to quit and restart Podium.

One major problem I've encountered... For some reason, after recording with the Konnekt into Podium, the DAW's .ini file gets messed up and causes a Windows "This program must be shut down" error on the next startup. The work-around (provided by Frits, Podium's awesome creator) is to delete the Podium.ini file before restarting. I think there's something with the way the driver is interfacing with the DAW. Weird.

Cheers, all.

JP

• Members

Just a question....when recording live into Channel 1 (using a mic) I hear myself in both ears (headphones are in the mute headphone channel of Konnekt 24), and when playing back its in both ears...however, once I stop using the konnekt and just listen from headphone out on my Macbook Pro 2.16 coreduo its only in the left side and when I pan to the right, there is no audio...I'm using Garageband (I plan on stepping up to Logic soon). When recording it is in stereo (according the the set-up in GB), however even if it was in mono I still should be able to pan to the left and right fields. I recall seeing in this forum awhile back that a few users were having issues with one side recording/working and that they had to return their units for a replacement. Is this what I'm experiencing. Sorry, I'm a newbie. Also, once I step up to Logic will I be able to use the effects as an AU rather than VST (therefore alleviating any need for a wrapper)? Thanks.

• Members

Yes. Let me clarify - the questions you've raised are completely valid. I just don't have any answers yet...

Well, as it happens, that's all I ever wanted to hear. When somebody said that raising those questions is "freaking lame" and you show him thumbs up, I sort of thought you don't consider the questions "completely valid". That's why I wrote you were playing down what I had said. I never wanted anybody to prejudge anything. That has been a complete misunderstanding (partly consequent on a couple of bad choices of words on my part, as I said), and we have obviously been talking past each other to some extent.

By the way, the reason why many don't deal with their non-working Konnekts as they would have with a hard drive (return it) is obvious - there's currently nothing that can match the Konnekt, for the price.

And by another way, the Alesis interfaces are reviewed in the June issue of Sound On Sound, and as with the Konnekt, no notice is made of all the different problems. The Pro Review not only makes notice of them but actually is the vehicle for discovering them collectively.

• Members

When recording it is in stereo (according the the set-up in GB), however even if it was in mono I still should be able to pan to the left and right fields.

It sounds to me like you've set up your track to record stereo. This means the Garageband is pulling a stereo signal from the Konnekt from one of its pairs (1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8, etc...). Since you've only got Channel One loaded with an input, only Left will be produced -the right channel will be empty. I'm not sure how to correct this in Garageband (haven't been a mac user for a few years, sadly) but hopefully someone else can clue you in quick.

Also, did you get the Cubase LE that came with the Konnekt? If your's didn't come with the Cubase LE disc, it's worth contacting TC to get a hold of. For the cost of free, it's a great program. Maybe not for loops, but for everything else it will completely blow away Garageband!

JP

• Members

Kim07, I just got your PM and sent you a reply. Please look at my answer to Chucksluck as I think you may have the same issue.

Note, if you select "stereo track" or Konnekt 1+2 and only use the one input or the other, it will only record to that side (1=Left, 2=Right). It does NOT record to both sides.

So, if you record with a mic going in only to Channel One on the Konnekt, be sure that the DAW is set for a mono track and that the input specified is either Konnekt 1 (not 1+2) or (in the case of Audition) TC Near Audio Left.

Chuck and Kim, let me know if that helped.

JP

• Members

I'm on a macbook c2d, and I'm having the "normal" issues with audio dropouts. I've been in contact with TC support for quite some time, and now they ask me to replace the unit. To me it sounds like a driverissue, though; it's exactly the same as described by other mac intel guys. Should I send it back?

Archived