DigiTech Vocalist Live 4 (VL4)

Anderton

• Members

I have the VL PRO. My solution for locating the pedal was to move it to my left. I have always used my right foot in the past but by using my left foot I could see the pedal to my left.

The unit sounds great when I solo. I haven't had success with a full band. I still use it with the band but only the for the awsome preamp and reverb.

The problem I have using it with the band is they get their volumes out of control (this will never change with these guys). The outside sounds get into my vocal mic and screw up the harmonies. I have an EV supercardiod mic, so it has excellent side rejection. Is there some kind of adjustment I can do to the VL PRO to help with this problem? An adjustment up or down to the compresser maybe?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not True, Helicon has a very good Vocal Forum along with daily tips I get

E-Mailed. Here it is, check it out if you like.

http://forums.voicecouncil.com/

I didn't know HC owned them........

EDIT:

We are talking about a Harmony Central Vocal Forum, for Vocalists in bands and Vocalists in Solo situations.

Thanks for the link to TC , I'll check it out.:thu:

• Members

The problem I have using it with the band is they get their volumes out of control (this will never change with these guys). The outside sounds get into my vocal mic and screw up the harmonies. I have an EV supercardiod mic, so it has excellent side rejection. Is there some kind of adjustment I can do to the VL PRO to help with this problem? An adjustment up or down to the compresser maybe?

I think this is a common beef with vocalists in a lot of bands - the last few times this happened to me, everyone just kept blaming it on the drummer!

I found the trick on the vlpro to solve this is to use the noise gate threshold in the pre-effects menu. You just keep raising that threshold until it cuts out the band noise feeding through your mic. The thing that bugs me is that this parameter is stored with each preset. So if I'm playing with a band that's loud, I need to go to each preset and change the threshold which is a pain. I wish it were global but I can't find a way to make it work that way.

I think I may have found one solution though - if I use a CC controller and map it to that threshold, I should be able to adjust it on the fly which is good because for quiet songs if the threshold is too high it will cut out your vocal a bit. I haven't tried this yet, but it seems like it should work - I've used the expression pedal quite a bit and that works well. There is so much in this box when you dig under the hood. - luckily the manual isn't too bad.

• Members

strat2; with you on the vocalists forum
:thu:

This is a great thread, makes for a good read
:cool:

Hopefully :lol: we all show up there :thu:

I agree, lot's of neat info on this thread with cool people...........

We have about 44 Forums (if I counted right) at HC, including :

Consumer Electronics

Movie Reviews

5 Forums on old Trade shows

There are typically 4 members in a band, 25 % of them are theoretcally singers, 1 out of 4 , we don't have 10 Vocal Forums we have NONE.

All we've been asking for since 05 is ONE Vocal Forum.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054994

:blah:

EOR

:cop:

• Members

Hey David (HaloRecordings) I just got the spreadsheet, Thanks!

As far as the coax to optical SPDIF, i don't know of one off the top pf my head.

About the SPDIF on the pro: the digital out volume doesn't seem quite right. I think they made it so that even if everything is all the way up, you can't clip on the output side. Too bad, because I'd like it so that if I was using it as a mic pre, I can get close to 0dBFS when I run the lead solo (without harmonies) but it's like 6dB down or something.

Your welcome.

Thanks for the info on the SPDIF. When I get back to recording, Hopefully in the near future, I'll just have to take the guitar output of my D3200and bring it into the PRO to create the harmonies. Then dump the lead vocal out to its own track and each harmony to their own tracks.

Enjoy the spreadsheet.

David

• Members

I
somewhat
agree about plastic pedals. However, in todays world of technological advance plastics can in some places really outperform metal. Metal construction definately looks alot tougher, which is half of it anyway, right?!!! I was involved in the testing of the RP500 and it is a very nice unit. You will not find better amp modeling in a unit twice that price. The AudioDNA2 chips are amazing. Tons of good useable effects. It can easily be tweaked on the unit, or my fav is to use X-Edit on the comp to set it up. Fact is, it is easy to tweak and can really be dialed in. I wish I had some of the recordings I did while testing. The wah works great. The exp pedal can be used for any parameter until you press it hard down. Then it engages the Wah and controls it based on the parameters you have set. You dis-engage it the same way. Go to GC and check it out.

Hi Tyler,

Well, I just think if you are charging $499.00 + for a guitar effects box, it should have metal buttons. VOX and T.C. Helicion have them and those boxes do stand up on the road. Still, I have a BOSS non-latching footswitch that I use with the VL4. It's got a molded plastic pedal but I'm not launching off the thing either!:rawk:

That's great you tested the RP-500 and took note of the AudioDNA2 chip. I just downloaded the manual to be a few steps ahead when I get it. I plan to check out both the RP-500 and Scott Ian's Artist Series box. You can see them lined up at my webpage below. I'd also like to see how their Wah stacks up against the Ibanez WD-2 I already use. I was pretty impressed with their RP-70. I can imagine the RP-500, (their flagship model), will really be over the top. Thanks for your insights! Do you use another guitar miltieffects processor now or do you use individual stomp boxes?

• Members

Hi Tyler,

Well, I just think if you are charging $499.00 + for a guitar effects box, it should have metal buttons. VOX and T.C. Helicion have them and those boxes
do
stand up on the road. Still, I have a BOSS non-latching footswitch that I use with the VL4. It's got a molded plastic pedal but I'm not launching off the thing either!
:rawk:

That's great you tested the RP-500 and took note of the AudioDNA2 chip. I just downloaded the manual to be a few steps ahead when I get it. I plan to check out both the RP-500 and Scott Ian's Artist Series box. You can see them lined up at my webpage below. I'd also like to see how their Wah stacks up against the Ibanez WD-2 I already use. I was pretty impressed with their RP-70. I can imagine the RP-500, (their flagship model), will really be over the top. Thanks for your insights! Do you use another guitar miltieffects processor now or do you use individual stomp boxes?

Wanted to jump in on this. I've yet to hear an all-in-one come close to using separates. Some come close but never quite there. I've purchased and tested and used close to 300 items including all-in-ones such as the BOSS, ZOOM and DigiTech lines and I've always come back to the separates. Main reason is the sacrifice the all-in-ones tend to make in things like available options in the order of the chain and number of effects allowed into the chain. The main draw back of separates is the space needed. If I were more technical, I would custom make my board taking out the components and making them fit into a smaller space. That's what virtually all of the "effect heroes" have done. I also can get a great "chunka chunka" amp sounds off of some of these separates that sounds great through the PA. You can read more details at the band in a box noted in signature.

Interested to hear other views.

• Members

Wanted to jump in on this. I've yet to hear an all-in-one come close to using separates. Some come close but never quite there. I've purchased and tested and used close to 300 items including all-in-ones such as the BOSS, ZOOM and DigiTech lines and I've always come back to the separates. Main reason is the sacrifice the all-in-ones tend to make in things like available options in the order of the chain and number of effects allowed into the chain. The main draw back of separates is the space needed. If I were more technical, I would custom make my board taking out the components and making them fit into a smaller space. That's what virtually all of the "effect heroes" have done. I also can get a great "chunka chunka" amp sounds off of some of these separates that sounds great through the PA. You can read more details at the band in a box noted in signature.

Hi Keith,

I'm glad you did weigh in on this one! I currently use separate stomp boxes because I like the option of shaping my own sound. Also, if one goes down, you can remove it from the effects chain and get on with it. Still, using the VL4 was a revelation because of the ease of calling up a variety of effects on one preset. I don't think I'm alone either because I've seen guitar multieffectors on stage a quite a bit lately. The last one had a 50,000 watt system blowing and they sounded great using a BOSS GT-8!

I think there is a place for both. If I'm doing a mid-sized venue or concert, I take the VL4 and leave my separate Super Chorus pedal at home. I use the Chorus onboard the VL4's guitar effects. Its faster to load in the flight case and set up. Best advice is to have both so in case you have play at a radio or television station, (I've done this and broadcast studios are often REALLY tiny!), you can pack something like the RP-500 and be ready to rip. DigiTech's RP-500 is a new concept though because it allows you to choose the order of the pedals in your effects chain. It can be used as a separate stompbox, switching station or call up your presets. I think they are listening to us!

• Members

SoloArtist - I use the GSP1101 (rack mount) and a control 2. If you want nice stompboxes Digitech is releasing a new line called "Hardwire" These are the upper end products. There are 7 models coming out any time now...

The thing I like about the GSP1101 is the flexibility. No you cannot totally reorder effects, except put the modulation effects before/after the pre-amp. there is way more amp models stomp boxes and effects than you could ever realistically put on the floor in a clean easy package. However, I do agree that I like the idea of arranging the order. But I think that custom tone comes down to tweaking your settings and especially EQ; post EQ AND pre EQ! Multi FX boxes get looked down as not being as good as the respective stomp boxes, but I "believe" that this is because they simple are not as easy to dial in and the people who don't like them don't take the time to dial them in. although not all Multi FX boxes are created equal! The new digitech stuff is really really good! Ok that's enough for now. I gotta run before the wife beats me :cry:

• Members

SoloArtist - I use the GSP1101 (rack mount) and a control 2. If you want nice stompboxes Digitech is releasing a new line called "Hardwire" These are the upper end products. There are 7 models coming out any time now...

The thing I like about the GSP1101 is the flexibility. No you cannot totally reorder effects, except put the modulation effects before/after the pre-amp. there is way more amp models stomp boxes and effects than you could ever realistically put on the floor in a clean easy package. However, I do agree that I like the idea of arranging the order. But I think that custom tone comes down to tweaking your settings and especially EQ; post EQ AND pre EQ! Multi FX boxes get looked down as not being as good as the respective stomp boxes, but I "believe" that this is because they simple are not as easy to dial in and the people who don't like them don't take the time to dial them in. although not all Multi FX boxes are created equal! The new digitech stuff is really really good! Ok that's enough for now. I gotta run before the wife beats me
:cry:

Tyler,

Hardwire, huh? This could be promising! I wonder if they will release them at the 2009 NAMM or before? Definitely what you said is true about taking the time to set up a multi-effects box. Also keep in mind the sort of system your going to be running this thing through. A rig that doesn't have enough umph to give you plenty of headroom for volume will make any effects box sound like a toy!:mad:

I'm glad to hear that you think the new DigiTech stuff is really, really good. I had a really, really bad experience with their RP-50 a couple of years ago. It kept cutting off my instrument so I took it back and traded it in for a BOSS DR3 Drum & Bass machine. Somewhat jaded by the experience, I didn't buy anything else from them until I saw an ad for the VL2 in a guitar magazine. Only then did I give them another try but I am SO glad that I did. Using these signal processors and effects has expanded my horizons far beyond what I thought was possible. The phantom power on the VL2 and VL4 encouraged me to "step up to the mic" and try a condenser. Now that's all I perform with. So if you are using the new technology to enhance your sound, you're going to make progress. Others will notice too but you have to be willing to take a chance or two. I hope you will not be staying at a "safehouse" tonight!:D

• Members

Hi everybody....

I got my ATM-710 today....

I tried it at church and i have one word to say....

WOW!!!!!!

The clarity, i can whisper and it will be picked up nice and clear; it picked up my vocals much better than my Audix Om2, and I am using a windscreen....

I am so happy that I bought it....

My wife wants one too (she sings with me in church)....and I think i am going to get it for her....

Thanks for the recommendation.... What a great microphone!!!!! and with the Vl4...

"DINAMIC DUO"!!!!!!

:):D

Thanks
:wave:

Omar

I've been using the SM58 for so many years I was a bit hesitant, but, I just ordered the ATM-710. I have high expectations. Always looking for that studio sound in the real world. Hope all you guys are right.

David

• Members

I've been using the SM58 for so many years I was a bit hesitant, but, I just ordered the ATM-710. I have high expectations. Always looking for that studio sound in the real world. Hope all you guys are right.

David

Hard to beat the SM58 on a number of levels, but I too was convinced by Solo Artist's and others endorsement of the AT condenser mics in conjunction with the VL4. Since I play in a loud band, I got the 2010 because of the comments about it being less susceptible to feedback and bleeding from other sound sources. Looking forward to trying it out with the lads this weekend.

Rickysound

Hear the VL4 on YouTube:

• Members

I have recorded with the vl4, and the results in the mix are very good....

but as a solo channel...no way, sounds so artificial....

how do I record:

I record vocal and guitar in diferent tracks....

then I send the recorded vocal thru one of my outputs to the vl4 input, same for the guitar.... then from the out of my vl4 to my interface....but i kill the guitar and the vocals from the mixer section of the vl4, so I record a track of only the harmonies...

It has been working quite well...

I can put a sample, but the song is in spanish and it is fully mixed....

let me know if you guys want to, ok?

Hope this helps :wave:

Omar :thu:

• Members

David

Well, I do not think you will be dissaponted....

I sure wasn't.......

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gc24 View Post
Can't take anymore ads about Digitech coming out with another machine. I have gone from the VL4 to the Pro. Have to stop somewhere here.
LOL
Pretty soon we won't be needed at all! I mean, I guess they can move to a "thought processor" so all we'll need to do is stand there and think about the song and it will play.

• Members

I have recorded with the vl4, and the results in the mix are very good....

but as a solo channel...no way, sounds so artificial....

how do I record:

I record vocal and guitar in diferent tracks....

then I send the recorded vocal thru one of my outputs to the vl4 input, same for the guitar.... then from the out of my vl4 to my interface....but i kill the guitar and the vocals from the mixer section of the vl4, so I record a track of only the harmonies...

It has been working quite well...

I can put a sample, but the song is in spanish and it is fully mixed....

let me know if you guys want to, ok?

Hope this helps
:wave:

Omar

That is what I did, I record the harmony parts separate so that I can pan them, add reverb or whatever to make them sound more....for lack of a better word real.

So far the results have been good...I cant post the material since it is not my own (clients material). I should finish one of my own this weekend...so I may be able to post it soon.

• Members

That is what I did, I record the harmony parts separate so that I can pan them, add reverb or whatever to make them sound more....for lack of a better word real.

So far the results have been good...I cant post the material since it is not my own (clients material). I should finish one of my own this weekend...so I may be able to post it soon.

I still think just allowing the machine to do its thing with your vocal does just fine and is less cumbersome (if not a total studio approach to the recording it still works). At least with the VL4 anyway, taking the full wack harmony and lead to a track works fine as long as you've got a good balance between your lead and the harmony at the VL.

My issue is wanting to do a re-take of the vocal forces you to play along again.

• Members

I still think just allowing the machine to do its thing with your vocal does just fine and is less cumbersome (if not a total studio approach to the recording it still works). At least with the VL4 anyway, taking the full wack harmony and lead to a track works fine as long as you've got a good balance between your lead and the harmony at the VL.

My issue is wanting to do a re-take of the vocal forces you to play along again.

not for me....

First, I use a metronome to do my guitar track and vocal, sometime together, sometimes one at a time....after I recorded (I make sure that I lay down good tracks before trying to do the harmonies) i send the recorded tracks (independently) thru outputs in my interface, I do not play again... I sent the dry vocals and dry guitar to the vl4.... and then from the vl4 a dry signal of the harmonies only......i turn the knobs for vocal and guitar all the way down..so it si only harmonies...

If i need to rerecord the vocals, i just turn off the harmonies track that I lay down, I cue my daw and record on top of my vocals or in a new track and I follow the guitra that was previously recorded....... I do not need to play again the guitar... that is why the metronome comes handy, to make sure that you are insync....If you are too good, you might not need a metronome, but I think, in my humble opinion, that everybody need s a metronome....

anyways, did you understand how I do it.....?????

now, this way... you record harmony tracks independently, I mean, first the 3rd aboves, the 5th aboves, etc, etc... then apply compression (if needed), volume mixing (for dynamics, if needed) and effects, I do not use the effect from the vl4 to record, it limits me for after recording editing and processiong...

hope this helps.... :wave:

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gc24 View Post
Can't take anymore ads about Digitech coming out with another machine. I have gone from the VL4 to the Pro. Have to stop somewhere here.
LOL

Let's sue Digitech for making us spending money cop.gifcop.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You are right!

Omar thumb.gif

• Members

Anybody know if any major recording artists have used any of the VLs in the studio? On any recordings? or 'heaven forbid' ...a live concert setting ?
On a side note; I used pre-set 21 [VL4] in an indoor setting , with harmony level at 3pm and vocal level at 1pm and the harmony was maybe too strong.
Now outdoor, the same level seemed okay. Guess the acoustics in a small hall versus an outdoor setting ;.... one has to watch out for that.

Archived