american idol

MartinC

• Members

I thought about how great Lambert would have been with Queen, but i'm not sure it would have been the best deal for him. He's a solo srtist now, and he doesn't have to sing tunes that he'll never get writer's credit on, deal with guys twice his age who probably don't want to spend all their time on the road. Whatever success he ends up having, it will be his. And if he has a few hits, or even one big one, he'll probably have made the right choice-he can always go do gigs with Queen, but his shot at individual mainstream success is now.
As far as sajaya, I completely forgot about him until you brought him up, but I still remember on William hung!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't believe I forgot Adam Lambert in my list. I guess that's because America forgot him pretty quickly, too.
:)
Brian V.

If he were touring with Queen right now, he'd be a household name playing to packed stadiums of people paying insane ticket prices to see him. I'd be there watching too :lol:

I think ultimately the argument in this thread stems from the fact that kmart's list of great singers sang great songs (and we've been listening to their versions of them for 20+ years - that matters too), whereas the American Idols haven't really put out any great songs. It's too hard to fairly compare the singers themselves without the songs being of similar caliber.

• Members

Anyway, you can twist this to be about 'pretty' ONLY all you want, but the fact of the matter is that AI is concerned about finding decent singers (broad/loose definition in play here) who above and beyond ALL else can be properly marketed based on the IMAGE that AI decides will have the biggest impact to their financial bottom line. A great looking girl with a middling voice will absolutely do better on that show than a dog with a great voice, because that's what AI wants (That's why someone like Susan Boyle would NEVER get on AI in the US).

I don't disagree with any of this. I merely responded your own statement:

I get where you're going with this, but based on what I've seen, I think you're under the impression that AI places far more importance on technical ability than they do IMO.

End of day, it ALL has to pass the 'pretty picture' bar, and I guarantee you the lesser singer with great looks will beat out the better singer who's a dog on that show
every time

I gave you two examples of people who aren't physically attractive who won. You seem to want to dismiss that to hold to your opinion. The only other thing I take issue with concerning you in this discussion is your opinion that no great singers have emerged from AI. I already conceded that it's subjective, but if you can't see the greatness in some of the singers who have come through here, then I guess we have a very different definition of what constitutes greatness in singing. I said before, just because it's a TV show first and foremost doesn't preclude an occasional great singer coming out of it, and I believe some have. A very large percentage of the general public agrees with me. I stand by that.

And for what it's worth, lots of people coming through AI who seem to do well for themselves are the ones who didn't win.

• Members

And then he goes and sings a bunch of crappy songs instead of hooking up with a great band, just like everyone else from AI. That's my problem with the show - they find awesome singers, then have them sing a bunch of GREAT songs throughout the show, but after they win they give them crap for their own album. You don't need awesome singers for auto-tuned bubblegum, any pretty face will do. Let the good singers sing good music.

Yes well the problem here is that Lambert did not actually win.

• Members
I can't believe I forgot Adam Lambert in my list. I guess that's because America forgot him pretty quickly, too.
:)
Brian V.

He's on MTV and VH1 regularly. One of his songs reached #2 on Billboard in July last year. He's doing okay.

• Members

He's on MTV and VH1 regularly. One of his songs reached #2 on Billboard in July last year. He's doing okay.

]

Yeah, and if the pop singer thing doesn't work out, he can probably get a theater gig on Broadway. He was a theater actor/ singer when he auditioned for AI.

• Members

#10, actually, and I know he's between album cycles, but my point is his second record probably won't sell half of the first one, and no one talks about him much anymore.

I love the guy, personally - I wish him great success. I even own his album.

I do wish he was a smidge less "theatrical" at times - maybe if he brought it down to a "Muse" level of theatricality, that'd be better (LOVED when he covered "Starlight"), but he's a fantastic singer.

Brian V.

Archived