eddy van halen using line6 spiders?

Fendert

• Members
Looks like he's probably got tendonitis or somethin'. Tryin' to give him a rubdown.
:love:

this is actually quite common. i had dequervein's tendonitis in my right hand and both different doctors that gave me cortisone shots told me that they see a lot of musicians and they'll have them wearing hand braces up until about half an hour before going on stage or the doc will give them cort shots in the arm or wrists.

either that or the guy is just trying to get some blood flowing in his forearms.. ed's fluffer :lol:

• Members
I can't stand {censored} tone, even out of a small practice amp. No thanks.

Ah...so you need the very best amps to make you sound half decent eh?

:p

I love my {censored}ty little amps. Instead of magical tone just effortlessly flowing out, it makes me work on my technique a little more. It's like weight lifting...makes you work a little harder so when you go to the real deal you really are that much better. Ideal for warmups and personal practice/excercises.

• Members

I love my {censored}ty little amps. Instead of magical tone just effortlessly flowing out, it makes me work on my technique a little more. It's like weight lifting...makes you work a little harder so when you go to the real deal you really are that much better. Ideal for warmups and personal practice/excercises.

I agree with this, but since I don't have a stage rig (don't play out), and my 'practice' time is also my 'playing' time, I don't want no dang spider. :cop:

• Members

I think it's easier to sound better through cheap, {censored}ty, amps than it is to sound good through a good high end tube amp. A 100w tube amp brings all your flaws right the hell out while a {censored}ty little amp will hide them.

• Members

I think it's easier to sound better through cheap, {censored}ty, amps than it is to sound good through a good high end tube amp. A 100w tube amp brings all your flaws right the hell out while a {censored}ty little amp will hide them.

That's cool that you think that but I just don't buy it. I don't get your logic. I don't think many other people do either...as most of us spend a {censored} load of time and money on top gear so...why? So we sound better. Right? You heard it right here in this thread...."does not want {censored}ty amp". Some will often spend MORE time looking for "great gear" than actually practicing.

A "{censored}ty amp" doesn't have the ability to instantly bring out all the nuances of your playing. You may call that "hiding". I call it burying you. So I have to work harder to coax good tone out of it. I have to concentrate on what and how I am playing...and not just show off what tremendously sick H-CAF approved tone I have. When I take it to my good amps...I instantly here how that concentrated effort has improved my playing.

If you look at my football analogy...if you have two wide receivers of equal natural talent...the one that doesn't lift weights is gonna get his ass handed to him by the one that does. He's had to work harder and get stronger.

A really good amp can sound stellar just strumming a D maj chord. A "{censored}ty amp" prolly leaves you a bit less inspired. You have to FORCE your will on it. You have to be more careful, creative and thoughtful. For me...it's too easy to get lost in the great tone if it's automatically there. I probably spend a few hours at least, every week on my old Harmony hollow body and lil red Guitar Research combo....just for old school bare bones practice. Weight training.

• Members

That's cool that you think that but I just don't buy it. I don't get your logic. I don't think many other people do either...as most of us spend a {censored} load of time and money on top gear so...why? So we sound better. Right? You heard it right here in this thread...."does not want {censored}ty amp". Some will often spend MORE time looking for "great gear" than actually practicing.

A "{censored}ty amp" doesn't have the ability to instantly bring out all the nuances of your playing. You may call that "hiding". I call it burying you. So I have to work harder to coax good tone out of it. I have to concentrate on what and how I am playing...and not just show off what tremendously sick H-CAF approved tone I have. When I take it to my good amps...I instantly here how that concentrated effort has improved my playing.

If you look at my football analogy...if you have two wide receivers of equal natural talent...the one that doesn't lift weights is gonna get his ass handed to him by the one that does. He's had to work harder and get stronger.

A really good amp can sound stellar just strumming a D maj chord. A "{censored}ty amp" prolly leaves you a bit less inspired. You have to FORCE your will on it. You have to be more careful, creative and thoughtful. For me...it's too easy to get lost in the great tone if it's automatically there. I probably spend a few hours at least, every week on my old Harmony hollow body and lil red Guitar Research combo....just for old school bare bones practice. Weight training.

+1:thu:

• Members

I would say that playing on a {censored}ty guitar and then moving on to a nice guitar has this effect but when I first got my Cobra I had to work on my chops so much more than when I was playing through my VS100. The guys around my area who play through Spiders and {censored} live just fall apart when they plug in to my Cobra.

• Members

Yes. I need a great amp to make me sound good. Truth. I mean, if I'm going to have to HEAR myself play at all, it wouldn't be through a Spider amp. No way. I'd rather just play acoustically.

• Members

I would say that playing on a {censored}ty guitar and then moving on to a nice guitar has this effect but when I first got my Cobra I had to work on my chops so much more than when I was playing through my VS100. The guys around my area who play through Spiders and {censored} live just fall apart when they plug in to my Cobra.

That's fine I know what you mean. There's certainly an adjustment period when you step up. When I got my first really good guitar, I was AMZED at how much better I got. It wasn't that it uncovered all my mistakes...but that I could do and hear all the things I wanted to do on it. It opened up the world to me. But I'm not talking about noobage here. I am talking very specific personal practice.

We've all said it before. A really really good player can make a {censored}ty amp sound decent. Why? How? Because he knows what he has to do to get good tone out of it. He knows he can't just bash a drop D chord and expect to impress.

Bash the same drop D chord on a Roadking into a 4x12 and you probably move the world slightly.

Either way you look at it...you gotta practice. So do your best and work hard on whatever amp you have.

• Members

That's fine I know what you mean. There's certainly an adjustment period when you step up. When I got my first really good guitar, I was AMZED at how much better I got. It wasn't that it uncovered all my mistakes...but that I could do and hear all the things I wanted to do on it. It opened up the world to me. But I'm not talking about noobage here. I am talking very specific personal practice.

We've all said it before. A really really good player can make a {censored}ty amp sound decent. Why? How? Because he knows what he has to do to get good tone out of it. He knows he can't just bash a drop D chord and expect to impress.

Bash the same drop D chord on a Roadking into a 4x12 and you probably move the world slightly.

Either way you look at it...you gotta practice. So do your best and work hard on whatever amp you have.

I see where you're coming from now. That makes sense. I have to work much harder to sound good to myself when playing out of my Vypyr than when I'm playing through my Cobra.

Archived