my post Thanksgiving Xmas show..

• Members

for about 12 years now I've been working a show right after Thanksgiving. mostly kids singing to tracks, but good kids, some stars, some TV personalities. Still, nothing too hard. Sometimes I set up a PA, sometimes it's the house. PA. This year the same venue, they have a house PA.

I ran it last year. It's not great..bunch of dual 15 JBL Sound Power cabs flown. Sort of a comb filter nightmare. two mounted then another pair above those with a couple feet from the top of the first pair to the bottoms of the second pair. So, the horns are literally like 7 feet from each other and the cabs point into the same places. LX9 board.

This year I go up to the board and say hello to the house guys. They don't even look up and give sort of an  "Uggh" sound. I figure they've been beat down by the endless Xmas songs the past two days. They tell me I can't run the board. Really?  ...all 4 channels. They said it's for insurance purposes. Whatever. 

I ask for two direct boxes so the tracks can be started and stopped from the stage...I got a puzzled look. I also had an acoustic guitar and noticed two SM81 routed to the board. I asked if I might be able to use one for the acoustic. "You cant use those kind of mics, they feed back" I said I'd put the HPF to it's most extreme setting and we don't need it in the monitors(two more JBL SRX725 laid on their side btw). He said he'd get an SM57 on a stand. 

He brings the HOSA DI box and plugs both 1/4 from the laptop audio into it. I ask for another DI box and he sarcastically asks "how many computers are you running"? Oh boy...I tell him that's not how you should use that box...

So, his helper brings out a Countryman e85 box and says it's stereo. I tell him no it's not, that the E85s is stereo.. but he insists he's done it before. Then I say I will use the passive and the active one both, and reminded him to arm phantom power. He asks why. I said "so it will actually work" . Hah! He says it doesnt need it and its worked before. I say" well then your phantom is probably on then". 

Anyhow we got through the show. poor mixing. A track or kid would be low for 30 seconds before I'd hear an adjustment. Booming subwoofers. Guitar feed back with the 57 on a classical guitar. For two hours I did almost nothing. 

Sometimes don't you want to just pull rank and say you've been mixing shows since they were in diapers? 

Archived