QSC GX7 Amplifier

• Members

I was wondering why the GX7 is priced below it's PLX counterpart, the 1804? Are the components of equal quality? 

Also, I need to run a 50Hz HPF (for my speakers' longevity). What's the best most economical way to do this with the GX7, since it does not have built in HPF? (use a Driverack?)

Lastly, what's a good price for a used unit in good working condition? 

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

• Members

musicnmotionz wrote:

I was wondering why the GX7 is priced below it's PLX counterpart, the 1804? Are the components of equal quality? 

Also, I need to run a 50Hz HPF (for my speakers' longevity). What's the best most economical way to do this with the GX7, since it does not have built in HPF? (use a Driverack?)

Lastly, what's a good price for a used unit in good working condition? 

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

The GX7 does not support 2 ohms, is lower (total) power, does not have the signal processing features that the PLX does, this is one reason why it's less expensive. They are also built differently, the GX series is much harder to service than the PLX, therefore perhaps more expensive. 

For a HPF, something like the DRPX is a good choice. If you are biamping, then the HPF is contained in the High Out x-over filter.

What speakers are you using?

• CMS Author

Planning depends on the details. How are you using the LA212's; fullrange front of house, biamped with subs for front of house, or as floor wedges?

If they are being using fullrange, I would suggest you consider an amp that has HPF's built in. The RMX series has them, and cost is comparable to the GX's, but these amps are heavy. The PLX series are lighter and have the HPF's. Long-term I'd suggest the PLX.

If the LA212's are being used as part of a biamped, system, then a driverack would probably cost efficient, as you'll need at least a crossover in addition to HPF's. In this case a GX series amp works out fine.

• Members

I'm surprised at the price I still see used RMX's going for. You would think they would be dirt cheap but not so in many cases. I would spend the extra $$$ and look at PLX if you need the features. I have a pair of 3602's and three 1804's. Each have their place but I really like the extra features on the 02 series.

• Members

Yeah, I hear you. I'm 26 years old, and I've made a decision to stick with amplifiers under 25lbs and speakers under 55lbs. 

I'm currently using a QSC CX702 amplifier with the EAW LA212's. It's my living room sound system at the moment. But when I have to disconnect and move everything for the occassional gig, the barrier strip terminals are a pain. Plus, the amp makes a huge "POP" sound (heard through the speakers) when I turn off the power switch. Any ideas why that's happening? 

Thanks for all the input so far!

Archived