Peavey 112 PT speakers, any info?

• Members

I recently purchased two used Peavey speakers without doing my usual "in depth research". They are Peavey 112 PT speakers. The only information I can find on them was on the Peavey Forum. They seem to be from the 1986-87 era and are rated at 100W continuous and 200W program. They are 16 ohm speakers and replacement woofers and tweeters are still available. Beyond that I can find no other info. For instance, what is the frequency response. Also, since they are 16 ohm, are they designed for some particular application and therefore not very good at other applications. I intend to use them as monitors and perhaps as mains some of the time. I welcome any info you can offer.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

JR

• Members

I am not familiar with the specific model, but 16 ohm were relatively common, especially for lower powered speakers, and allow 4 boxes in parallel on a 4 ohm rated amplifier. There were not a lot of high powered 2 ohm stable amps being built back then.

IMO, a lot of driver failures would be eliminated by the natural power limiations of 16 ohm loads, especially for lower powered speakers. Line losses would be less also.

No problem for a monitor application, just note that each speaker will receive about 1/2 of the 8 ohm rated amplifier power.

• Members

Peavey sold a lot of 16 ohm speakers for monitors. As the horse said, you could put 4 on an amp output for a 4 ohm load and all would still be good (no magic smoke released ;>). I suspect the PT part of the designation means Piezo tweeter. Simpler crossover, less parts, cheaper. A little harshness in the highs and the midrange is so-so from the crossover but they can be tweaked fine for monitors.

And www.peavey.com is THE place to get all the gory details on all things Peavey. They'll usually pull out the old manuals & drawings to answer your questions.

Boomerweps

• 6 years later...
  • Members

The Peavey Mod# 112 PT PA Enclosure was produced in 1986 & 1987 and sold for $139.50 each. They are rated at 100 watts Rms (Root mean square  NOT "Ride Me Sideways") and 200 watts Peak Power. The 12 inch Woofer is a EMINENCE Loud Speaker and the 3 inch Tweeter is a MOTOROLA Piezo. The enclosure does not contain crossover components, it is straight wired from the input jacks to the speakers. They will work with a Mixer/Power Amp rated from 125 to 200  Peak Power Wattage @ 8 ohms. (Example - Peavey MP 4 Mixer/Amp Mark III Series). A user manual/spec sheet was not published for users. 

• Members

Yah, we've been holding our breath for the 7 years between the last post on that thread and now LOL freak.gif .

One of the conspiracy theorists over on the "feedback" forum says these kinds of posts are being made by the Lithium/MF folks to "pump up" the forum's internet visibility - they are always a newly registered user, they only post once on a very old thread and never come back, and they post something pasted from a quickie Google search (hence the weird font). I'm starting to think they are right facepalm.gif .

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived