Adding a grounded plug to older equipment

• Members

I'm working with some older equipment, a Maxon UE-300 and a UE-305 for a friend.  Also released by Ibanez.  Both have two prong plugs and from looking at the schematic and taking into account the age of the devices, it seems about right.  My friend is getting some buzzing with them and says this is regardless of the volume on the guitar or the pickups used.  I have to do a little digging and eliminate a few possibilities, but I was wondering if there was any benefit to adding a chassis ground to older devices like this?  Most of me doesn't want to modifiy anything as they appear to be somewhat rare and sought after these days in original condition.  But I'm still curious as too whether I would realize any real benefits from doing this on older equipment in general.

• Members

Of course this may depend on the design and by all rights shouldn't matter with some. If the plug has both spades that are the same size try unplugging and turning the plug over and plug it back in. I had a very old traynor amp that would buzz one way. Not the other. It did seem to matter to the amp which way it was plugged in. Maybe Andy could shed some light on this?

Dookie

Archived