Remember when synths used to be black?

• Members

Originally posted by rylos

Every DX7 I have still is. Are they supposed to, like, change with time? Like molt or something?

:D

I thought DX7's were brown... maybe they do change color!

I've only had one black synth -- Kawai K4. and it stinks.. er.. I mean, it's a beautiful awesome synth that's worth every penny I'm asking for it... ah heh... :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought DX7's were brown... maybe they do change color!

DX7IIs are black. I should have been more specific. Although right now my original version DX7 is also black. At least, until the lights are turned on...

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

make the nord black? *GAAAASP*

the red sets it apart!
:mad:

Aye, I very much like the garish colors of Waldorf synths as well. Colorful can be dignified if done correctly. For an example of "incorrect" color usage, check out Kurzweil's VA1.

• Members

I got good wood right now....erm......no....wrong thread.....

I actual prefer a colorful studio, it's more vivid and inspiring. However, I do love the look of the Virus Indigo II redback and that new Nord does look sweeter than...a...wood popsicle?

• Members

Originally posted by gilbertopb

I received mine today, but without the PG.

Nice colors! Black of course.

*LOL* If i had any talent i would paint little psychedelic patterns in neon colours all over these boards, but i haven't so i won't...

(Because both of mine are scratched and "old" looking anyway.)

But what really matters is the sound - mmmmmmhhhhh :) :)

And the PG really helps too, because the physical sliders unlock all the possibilities for quick experimenting. I recommend finding one.

With the PG i'd guess that this is one of the most powerful analogues in its price range (that's easy to say - it costs even less than the Junos here... MUAHAHAHAHAAA to all the Juno buyers... :D)

The only things i (sort of) miss are:

1 extra LFO

Ramp waves for the LFO

More memory

Oh, and BTW my Yamaha TG77 is black too and big - it looks very menacing on my desk, in a sort of the Darth Vader of rack modules way...

• Members

Y'know, I'm surprized that noone (that I know of, anyway) has come out with a CLEAR synth, like plexiglass or just see-thru plastic, either completely colorless or I-Mac style, in lots of pretty primary colors. I would almost expect Casio or Yamaha to put out a budget-line keyboard like this. Kids would love it!

I would love it.

I WANT A CLEAR SYNTH!

Oh, and glow in the dark paint is easy enough to find, even if it is that kinda sickly light yellowy green. I think a cooler thing would be blacklight reactive paintjobs; that would look better at a concert. Or clear. With little lights inside that blink, like all computers have inside them in seventies sci-fi flicks.

Man, now I'll never be satisfied:(

• Members

Originally posted by Etcher

I WANT A CLEAR SYNTH!

So, take a cheap synth and make a plexiglas case for it. I've actually envisioned something like this; you could take the guts of several modules and a controller and a small mixer and a MIDI router, you could put them all together in a personalized instrument and do whatever you want with the design; a clear case with christmas lights would be just about as viable as any other option :) Maybe get some of those flourescent tubes that they put in computer cases.

Kiru

• Members

Y'know, I'm surprized that noone (that I know of, anyway) has come out with a CLEAR synth, like plexiglass or just see-thru plastic, either completely colorless or I-Mac style, in lots of pretty primary colors. I would almost expect Casio or Yamaha to put out a budget-line keyboard like this. Kids would love it!

I would love it.

I WANT A CLEAR SYNTH!

Gleeman Pentaphonic Clear. Very rare. But there's actually interesting circuitry to see in there, not a single DSP, a bunch of outputs, and that's it. Plus, it's rather easily scratched - you'll see 'm all.

gleeman.jpg

penta-clear-4.jpg

I must also confess that I'm quite charmed on how the Moog Super Happy Hyper Mega Ultra Extreme Edition Tentacle Rape 5 (or whatever they plan to call it, Kiru'll understand this joke) has blue backlights for the text.

• Members

Hmm. :/

Now that I see one, I can see why they don't make them anymore. I had a clear phone once, and I remember hating how ugly it was. Circuitboards are kept hidden for a reason.

I also get the "tentacle rape" joke, you legendary Overfiend, you

;)

Sometimes being a geek lets you see things you weren't meant to...

• Members

I also get the "tentacle rape" joke, you legendary Overfiend, you

;)

Part 2 and 3 on VHS, much to the dismay of a fellow who scored 1 at the same local store but didn't get the others.

Still looking out for a DVD with the full Project A-ko on. The music in A-ko pt 2 rules, btw.

• Members

I have to say, I remember Project A-ko being a bit of a disappointment. As for circuitboards, I think a lot of them look cool... but some are just really ugly, and some things (like, say, phones) would definitely match decor a lot better if they're not see-through.

Kiru

Archived