Best way to start Seq

• Members

the_resonator, what exactly do you mean by "artistic statement"?

Of course modern pop music own a lot to marketing (probably one of the highest promotion-to-product ratio industries), but we're not talking about clothes or dance moves here. No-one's talking about comparing Britney's dance moves to your musical intentions, that's apples and oranges.

We're talking about music, and in the context of pop music we're talking about its ability to shake your feet.

Once we all admit that different people enjoy music in different ways, and have different expectations... then this whole argument starts to look a little silly... :D

Forever,

Kim.

• Members
Originally posted by Jeez

What's a split sheet?

It's a contract that states what percentage of writer's share each contributor to a particular piece of music receives from BMI, ASCAP, etc. Your percentage is based on your contribution, the importance of said contribution within the body of work (i.e. did you write the hook or just lay in a tambourine sample?

• Members

ASCAP, BMI

If you could ever make a mountain fly

If Japanese can boil teas

Then where the f**ks my royalties ?

*Aerosmith

Welcome, my son, to the machine

*PF

You're gonna make it if you try

They're gonna love you....

*PF

A daily dose, of eMpTV

*Dream Theater

I'm not into pop either. Some rather talented bands feel likewise. Now day's, it's all about IMAGE.

Sorry to continue the hi-jacking

• Members

See, Resonator, that's what I'm looking for! A little explanation, a little nuance, a little passion... Nice post, by the way. You know me, nothing I write should ever be taken too seriously, and if there were anything at all I take issue with it's the automatic lumping in of what will be known heretofore as "the artist" and "the song". Britney Spears (or hell, Adolf Hitler) could've performed "Strawberry Fields Forever" or "Comfortably Numb"; since when is the song deemed "100% worse than warm {censored}" simply because of who sings it? It's not a rhetorical question.

Originally posted by the_resonator:
Honestly, i don't think it's necessary for me or anyone else to write a 3 page anything about pop music like that.

I do; that's what we're talking about!:) What is it about the songs Britney sings that you believe makes them so {censored}ty?

I suspect the first inevitable stumbling block is the Karaoke nature of it (point the young and attractive person at this song, in these clothes, position her in the market thus...and voila!)

Okay, cool, sure, I had a major problem with this too at one time. But what does this have to do with the song?

I don't spend enough time with that sort of music to be able to even reliably differentiate between Spears and whomever else may be the girl of the hour. It's also nothing new, as this sort of pop has a fairly long history of at least 60 years or so ("it's my party and i'll cry if i want to"). You may find it interesting that i would lump Elvis Presley right in there with Britney SPears, in that niether writes(or wrote) music...

Fair enough. But man, if you automatically eschew all music not written by the artist performing it, you're missing out on a lot of phenominal material. Sounds a bit closed-minded to me, like "I don't listen to music recorded on Macs". Furthermore, how do you know Britney (or any other artist) doesn't write their own material? Vanilla Ice wrote the lyrics to "Ice Ice Baby". Does that mean it's less {censored}ty or more important music than anything Smokey Robinson, Frank Sinatra, or Pavarotti's ever performed? Britney in fact wrote a decent amount of material on her last album, both musically and lyrically. Does an artist have to write 100% of the song they're performing? What if a guitarist plays a riff written by an ex-member of the band? What if you discovered tomorrow that your favorite band never wrote a lick of music on their album? Would it automatically and magically render their entire catalogue {censored}ty? Or would you simply enjoy it less?

...and both have more owing to wardrobe and dance steps than statements of interest to me.

How does one measure what percentage of an artist's worth is based on image, posturing, and wardrobe? I might suggest P-Funk, Michael Jackson, Depeche Mode, The White Stripes, and Nine Inch Nails all fall victim to this as well. The only difference is the music, which, except for a few select individuals, nobody here seems to want to discuss.

And, of course, it's subjective. I never said otherwise, but I don't think you can "qualify" your statements either.

Sure I can. Kim and I have tried to start numerous threads on what makes a good pop song, but they always devolve into pages of 14-year-olds whining about Britney Spears.:D And what's more frustrating (or in my case, amusing) is that no one really says anything

• Members

Originally posted by SirGarrote

of all the threads, this one
deserves
to be hijacked.

-G

Blue halo and I can be had cheap! I'll just pm him, and.... :D And if he's not available, I'm sure I can count on another one of my many fellow hijackers. Let me know. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by audacity works

Kim and I have tried to start numerous threads on what makes a good pop song, but they
always
devolve into pages of 14-year-olds whining about Britney Spears.
:D

Or making Triton jokes. :D:rolleyes::D

Forever,

Kim.

Archived