Covering your favorite songs

furdock7

• Members

I'll cover songs if I can do something very different from the original, I don't see any point in trying to do it just the same way 'cos you'll never manage that as well as it's original artist.

Curiously you've just reminded me of the cover I did a couple of years ago of Britney Spears Born To Make You Happy, it's still up at http://www.broadjam.com/ though you have to search my username to get to it. (Bad Singing Warning).

Atm there's a few things I'm thinking of covering. Possibly Boney-M's Rasputin, possibly an Evanescence track, and probably Nick Cave's The Mercy Seat. I've got some really twisted ideas for that one, but in case I do it, I won't spoil the surprise:D

• Members

Originally posted by furdock7

How do you feel about doing this.

Every time i learn/cover one of my favorite songs it seems to take something away from them, and I dont like the song as much anymore.

You guys have the same experience?

Cheers

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

From a live performer's perspective:

Some songs are just plain fun to play, especially out in bars, parties - 'cause everyone knows/loves them, and everyone just perks up when you play them:

Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones

Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight - Bob Seger

Rosalita - Bruce Springsteen

All Right Now - Free

Some songs, however, have just become so cliche and part of mainstream culture that even though they were pretty darn good songs to begin with, they're just so played out (and yet you still have to play them - out!):

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

Old Time Rock + Roll - Bob Seger

Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen

...and then there are the timeless, classic jazz standards, which everyone can interpret in their own way and still sound great - because they are truly timeless (though perhaps a teeny bit cheesy):

Autumn Leaves

All the Things You Are

There Will Never be Another You

Girl from Ipanema

Satin Doll

Don't Get Around Much Anymore

As Time Goes By

Misty

These kinds of tunes have enabled Rod Stewart to "reinvent" himself - as a crooner, with his "Great American Songbook" albums. Of course, hundreds of artists before him have recorded these exact same tunes, but because of Rod's previous popularity as a rock star (which of course will usually command a much bigger audience/market share than a jazz singer) - he's hotter than ever!

:cool:

Archived