Greatest Organ solos of all time

Learning67

• Members

Rick Wakeman - Close To The Edge, last part

+1 for Light My Fire (Manzarek)

+1 for Supper's Ready (Banks)

Thijs van Leer (Dutch 70s band Focus) - "Answers, Questions, Questions, Answers" (or something like that) on their Live At The Rainbow album. Some of Focus's stuff is really great!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you have not listened to Toamas Holopainen from Nightwish, you have not been paying attention to the great synth players out there.

That guy is by far, the finest player to hit the stage. His sequences are flawless, his leads are faster and more complex than anything I have heard to date. The man makes 16th note leads and 8th note trills seem effortless, not to mention the sheer beauty of his compositions, and the fantastic sounds he creates with his Korg(s).

If you can keep up with him, you can play anything.

IMHO, of course.

• Members

I guess to me, and probably others, when I say "solo" I mean improvised. Thus excluding all those bach pieces.

Granted, back in the day those guys could improvise freakin' fugue. But we dont have recordings from the 18th century. I personally find the Bach D minor tocatta and fugue a cliche these days. Its music to inspire a 16 year old to practice. There are zillions of other classical pieces just as good if not better. (Did Fox improvise fugues? He may have)

I cant believe I left Jon Lord off my initial list! Hush, hyway star, so many killer solos.

• Members

Originally posted by Learning67

and for that matter.....where on earth is there a beach boys organ solo? and, as much as I love and respect everything he did until "In A Square Circle", where are the stevie wonder organ solos?

Theres one on Golden Lady on the Innervisions LP, however IIRC it was Clarence Palmer who played it and not Stevie..

• Members

Originally posted by Learning67

I guess to me, and probably others, when I say "solo" I mean improvised. Thus excluding all those bach pieces.

Granted, back in the day those guys could improvise freakin' fugue. But we dont have recordings from the 18th century.

ah ... the notation IS the way those 17th/18th century composers recorded their improvisations. excluding Bach just because the recording was pen to paper instead of transducer to tape is not fair to Bach ... and merely reinforces the rift between "pop" and "classical" music.

the strong relationship between baroque and soul music is one of the most-ignored musical mysteries of the 20th century ... but that's a topic for another thread.

or a book.

• Members

Originally posted by Purity_Control

Classical wise I'd go with Buxterhude over Bach

thanks for reminding me of Dietrich.

I have Walter Kraft's multi-record multi-box set of the entire collected works of Buxtehude which i should pull out someday.

Bach might not have wanted to bone his daughter, but that guy could write some mean organ music.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

thanks for reminding me of Dietrich.

I have Walter Kraft's multi-record multi-box set of the entire collected works of Buxtehude which i should pull out someday.

Bach might not have wanted to bone his daughter, but that guy could write some mean organ music.

I wish I could go back in time and give Buxtehude an overdrive pedal, or maybe just a B-3 w. a Leslie! :p

• Members

Originally posted by Rockman59

where on earth is there a beach boys organ solo

"Fun, Fun, Fun"........now that Daddy took the T-Bird away.....

Yes - that is a fun solo!

Not exactly a masterpiece but fun, catchy + a perfect 8 bars for the tune it sits in the middle of.

:D

• Members

A couple that haven't been mentioned:

Neal Doughty's solo in "Roll With The Changes" by REO Speedwagon

Melvin Seals' solo on the Sam Cooke medley on Elvin Bishop's live "Raisin' Hell" album

"Footstompin' Music" by Grand Funk Railroad (not really a "solo" per se, but a kickin' organ-driven rocker)

• Members

Doug Ingle - Iron Butterfly

"Innagaddadavida" or however it was spelled. Not the greatest of all time but worthy of being on the list of candidates.

I'd also throw in there Steve Winwood for several works he did over the years.

• Members

Originally posted by Rockman59

where on earth is there a beach boys organ solo

"Fun, Fun, Fun"........now that Daddy took the T-Bird away.....

Also "Surfin USA". Also, while not solos, some fairly decent, although simple, work on "In My Room", "Good Vibrations", etc.

+1 for Doug Ingle.

While I don't remember his name, the organist for Uriah Heep did some nice work.

• Members

I had the good fortune of taking lessons for 5 years as a teenager on a magnificent 76 rank 3 manual baroque voiced Casavant Freres. I've attached a picture of the sanctuary. It was an amazing thing to do every Monday afternoon for those years. My Dad (rest his soul) hustled back from his 5 man carpool 50 mile commute to the shipyard and hauled me right back across town in the middle of rush hour to get it done. At 25 bucks a pop in the late 60's and early 70's. I sometimes forget my sheer dumb luck.

• Members

Back in 1974-75, Jon Lord used to do an unaccompanied organ solo as the lead-in to "You Fool No One". He would often quote known pieces - but he'd also often do classic organ improvisation (obviously minus the footpedals). And along with the usual Hammond 'tricks' he'd throw in the occasional "gates of hell" ringmodulator effect, along with rocking the organ to get crashing thunderclaps from the reverb springs.... from a heavy rock perspective, no one's bettered that stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I saw Tony Monaco in person this year at the NAMM Hammond booth. THAT was an education watching him. Caught Joey D there too. Both those guys are monsters on the organ. I happened to be in the right place at the right time, the view from behind watching their hands (and feet) move is not an angle you'll get if you went to a club appearance.

Tom Scholtz was actually a keyboard player before he started to play guitar. I learned Foreplay by ear - that thing plays like a Hanon exercise, a real finger twister.

Virgil Fox, I love his stuff. His CD on the Wanamaker organ will blow your mind. He also did a digital recording in 1977, a challenge for the pipe organ mind you.

If you get tired of T&F in Dm, give the Gigue Fugue in G a run. That ranks as a favorite with the T&F.

Archived