Which VA would you choose as a controller??

ExplodingBoy

• Members

The Novation KS5 does indeed have 61 keys. The KS4 has 49 & the K station has 25. But why do you want a Va as a controller keybrd? Compared to romplerslike the Alesis QS6.2 the ability to do splits and layers & do stuff with a variety of rack synths from one controller is pitiful. Imo your better off useing a rompler for controller stuff due to much more midi flexibility as noted etc.

• Members

FS uses all the standard nubers for cutoff, resonance ADSR control. i think Virus transmits the same. for others, there can be some mapping assigning within FS itself.

separate controller is a nice idea, but Virus KB and KC feature a top class semi weighted 61 keyboard - my favorite semi weighted actually (from K5000 series). no controller can match that, and the immediacy of having the control knobs on the board, and a great sound to boot.

go for the virus, if it means a few xtra bucks - wait and save. prices are coming down as we speak..

• Members

there's no standard for assigning CC numbers to synth parameters that i'm aware of.

if there is such a spec, i'd be interested in a link to it.

my Virus KC knobs can send CC's, but they're non-assignable.

these are the standard CC numbers i know of:

http://www.futureproducers.com/dictionary_definition.php/wordid/84

there are no references to specific synth parameters such as cutoff, resonance, and so on.

assigning numbers to these parameters is up to the manufacturer, and i think most of them are different.

• Members

I kmow I can do better splits etc with a rompler, but I need a warm sound to compliment the FS1R. Since I have limited money, I need to kind of find a two in one solution right now.. (controller and VA). It may only be temporary so I've bid on a Virus KB for now. We'll see what happens.

I'm tempted to just get another EX-7 honestly. I can't think of a better controller than the EX series. Z1 is also a very close choice.

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

there's no standard for assigning CC numbers to synth parameters that i'm aware of.

if there is such a spec, i'd be interested in a link to it.

my Virus KC knobs can send CC's, but they're non-assignable.

these are the standard CC numbers i know of:

there are no references to specific synth parameters such as cutoff, resonance, and so on.

assigning numbers to these parameters is up to the manufacturer, and i think most of them are different.

That's not a very good CC list at all. Hmmnnnn. from memory- cutoff 74, res 71... there's attack and release 72&73, parameters for reverb depth, chorus depth and other such goodness. its fairly comprehensive but it would be nice if it included full envelopes. Obviously you can make them.

Um.. we're talking about GS/XG {censored} which is somewhere between GM and GM2, right? the CC list may in fact just be GM.

It's as much as a standard as you need, and i appreciate gear that will let me work with it. The VariOS, for example, pisses me off a little cause i cant assign the parameters.

For what it's worth, the Roland JP has assignable controllers- luckily for me anyways. My JP-8080 makes a nice controller for the VariOS. Strangely enough though, the controller i use for my softstuff and such is mainly the EF-303. I assign four numbers to the knobs for each patch... then i have 16 patches i can quickly cycle through. Works pretty well for me. I also use a small arsenal of "performance" controllers such as the D-field, D-beams, breath controller and of course the good old yammy wheels and sliders.

• Members

http://smasher.suspicious.org/fs1r/midicc.html

looking at your link,

i doubt that CC24 = Formant is standard for most synths, since most synths don't have this parameter.

as i've said, there are stnadards that were set in the original midi spec, then i think some GM standards were set later, such as 71-74, and 91 and 93 (for GM/GS only).

but other manufacturers can and do use these CC numbers for other parameters.

anyways, i guess the important point is having a VA that has knobs which can be assigned to send specific CC numbers.

the only ones i can think of offhand that do this are the yamaha AN1X and the korg Z1.

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

i doubt that CC24 = Formant is standard for most synths, since most synths don't have this parameter.

Oh ya, it turns out all synths can formant shift with this CC. They just forgot to mention it. I tried it out on a Roland SC-55 and simply by sending this CC i was able to incorporate some jaw dropping formant shifting lfo sequences.

Who knew?...

;)

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

er... looking at your other thread... why dont you just get the EX-5 as a controller?

I'm not sure about the other thread, but the EX5 only has two VA voices and one physical modeling voice. It's enough more me, but most VA only synths have 5 or more voices.

If two voices are enough, *run* for the EX5!

Mike

• Members

well, E.B.said he can't spend over 1K, otherwise i'd agree with flukewurm - you probably won't find a better controller than the G2X.

one of the few things someone might want that it can't do is poly-pressure - everything else it's pretty much got nailed.

• Members

So here's what I've decided. For now, I'm just going to get a Roland A-70 for the FS1R. I may be getting one WITH the JV expansion voices for around $350.

That will leave me with about $650 for a seperate VA. I think things will be easier this way PLUS I'll have the rompler voices (acoustic pianos etc) from that A-70 expansion. This kind of covers all my bases. I'll have sampled sounds, a super powerful FM synth AND then money left over to get a VA of some sort. Maybe I could get a Micron and spend the other $250 or 300 on my MBox or some accessories.

I just think it will be a better idea to keep my VA seperate from the FS1R.

Any thoughts on that combo? I've heard that the A-70 is one of the best midi controllers around because it has 4 seperate midi outs and all kinds of sliders and knobs. Plus, I think getting an expanded one for $350 is a steal. Thoughts?

Archived