Wire Management at gigs?

wheresgrant3

• Members

Since most of our gigs are DIY and we usually soundcheck 1/2 before, I never had time to notice what a mess of wire I have that accumulates beneath my feet. I have on average 6-8 instrument cables dangling from my synths, 1-2 power srtips on the floor, an skb board full of guitar pedals that has all kinds of wires all over the place. I'm just wondering what you guys do... if you have any secrets, to neatening up your wires. The other night we played a semi-pro gig for a company party and I was a little embarassed at the spegetti mess of black cables everywhere.

• Members

Get some of that wiring loom shell for making wiring harnesses on cars. It's cheap, plentiful (AutoZone, etc), easy to work with, available in a wide variety of diameters, and attractive.

It looks basically like a sump-pump/pool filter/etc hose, split in half. You shove your wires through the split, bingo-bongo mess becomes attractive.

http://www.action-electronics.com/grc/rcsl.jpg

Wes

• Members

Yep, the velcro cable ties are it. Don't want anything more permanent unless all your inputs & outputs are coded to the appropriate plug on the appropriate cable somehow.... I prefer a diagram, and I use the cable length/type neccessay for that particular situation - then they get velcro'd together for neatness.

• Members

+1 on the velcro cable ties, especilaly if they are black and not some awful neon color. I've noticed that more cables are coming with them now.

If the cables are going to be run where walking will occur then I recommend carrying some non-residue duct tape. Not regular ordinary duct take mind you - that stuff leaves a terrible mess - but the kind that is easy to remove and leaves no residue. You can find it at WalMart.

• Members

Originally posted by The Pro

If the cables are going to be run where walking will occur then I recommend carrying some non-residue duct tape. Not regular ordinary duct take mind you - that stuff leaves a terrible mess - but the kind that is easy to remove and leaves no residue.

AKA black electrical tape. Always have at least one roll handy.

• Members

I'll try to take some photos and post how I've organized my cables and pedals. I use the zip ties for cables that I know will not need to be separated (e.g. power cords for my 2 live keyboards). I do the same on patch cords and I have all my pedals velcroed to a board with zip ties keeps the cords neat. I recently added some of the flexible tubing that someone else mentioned. That makes it look neater. I also have velcro straps that I use to attach the dangling cables to my stand. I'm quite particular on the aesthetics like this, so I like to keep those cables out of sight!

Regards,

Eric

• Members

I always have a difficult time managing my wife at gigs. She drinks far too much and can be quite embarrassing. Sometimes she'll.... Oh, wire management. I find a few loops of Velcro quite helpful both at gigs and at home. Come to think of it, my wife likes the Velcro loops as well...

Archived