kurzweil sp76 stage piano? any ideas? deal for $375?

brettryantalley

• Members

hey guys...i posted awhile ago and got some great suggestions from alot of you guys and i really appreciate it. my budget is below 400 and ive come across a deal for a kurzweil sp76 stage piano for 375. i researched it alot, and theres a huge mix of opinions. some say its great and some dont. I'm a beginner, but i have chords down...and thats just through practicing at my church...so this will be my first keyboard. i want at least 76 keys...and i want semi-weighted keys. im starting to record, so i want MIDI compatibility (which this has, but it doesnt have aftertouch...what is that?)...so the main sounds i want are piano and strings to be played live. i'm feeling like this is going to be my best option for under 400...anyone have experience with it. as always, any and all advice is needed and wanted. thanks in advance for all of the advice.

• Members

In my opinion, you can't possibly beat the SP-76 for $375. I owned one for a time and liked it a lot... the sounds and the keyboard action, but traded up 'cause I needed a full-blown workstation (with sequencer, etc.) with my 76-key 'board. True, it lacks aftertouch, I believe, but still a good deal. Whereas initial touch is velocity sensitivity when you first press the key, aftertouch allows you to control parameters while holding the note... e.g., press harder to bring in a vibrato effect, volume swell, etc. Hope this helps!

• Members

brettryantalley -

That is a solid deal - $375 for a Kurzweil SP76 - especially for your 1st keyboard.

I use a Kurzweil MicroPiano module, which has the exact same sounds as the SP-stage piano series 'boards: SP76, SP88, SP88x. I think the piano sounds are great - even though it's 15yr. old technology. And the string sounds are fabulous!

I say, go for it + enjoy!

:D

• Members

You can't go wrong with that board, that was my first gig board years ago, I love that board, the piano sounds really cut thru a mix and it is light weight and has the wonderful reliable feel and sounds, I do not like the Kurzweil Rhodes sounds too much compared to the Yamaha Rhodes but the strings, and other EPs are nice.

I live by the Kurzweil piano, I upgraded my SP 76 to the much better PC2 76 which was my primary gigging board for some years, I recently sold that and now just use the PC2 rack at home. For your purposes the SP76 is perfect especially for church, I recommended that board to alot of Gospel musicians.

That price is also a good deal!!!

Archived