Hammond Module

Bronzee

• Members

I would choose a Roland VK-8M over the Hammond XM1 module. The XM1 is closer in sound quality, leslie, percussion to the Hammond XB series, the percussor to the XK2 and XK3.

The Roland gives you a better leslie sim, better tone controls and percussion.

The XM1 isn't bad, but the VK is better.

Have fun!

• Members

Unfortunately, an adequate rack-mount B3 clone does not exist at the present time. Being more of a piano player, I really just need a few standard B3 presets with decent leslie simulation in a rack-mount box and I'm happy...... yet I don't particularly care for the dedicated organ patches in the Tritons, Motifs, etc. The "B3" module introduced by EMU was lousy (especially the leslie simulation), but may sound better through an external leslie simulator. If you can get your hands on an old Voce V3, this is probably the best rack-mount clone out there, although it has some problems including noise and popping sounds as a function of the internal schematics. While you can eliminate these problems by using an external leslie simulator, you lose some MIDI functions (e.g., volume). I am currently using a Voce Micro BII organ module with a Dynacord CLS 222 leslie simulator (hard to find) and it sounds OK. I am looking to get rid of my V3. Table-top or "synth-mount" clones including the Voce V5 and the Roland VK-8M are good suggestions, but are not rack-mount devices. I prefer the V5 because it is considerably smaller than the VK-8M; I utilize a V5 in another (live) application (Yes, I have a V3, V5, and MicroB!). I have been waiting forever for either Korg or Hammond to develop rack-mount versions of their CX-3 and KX3 products, respectively. Hopefully, this will happen sometime soon! Hope this helps!

Chris

• Members

At least the Roland VK-8m is a one-piece unit, unlike the Hammond XK1 controller/module. I'm not a Roland fan but I had a chance to try out a VK-8m in a music store and was quite impressed with it's beefy sound and good leslie sim. It's really a decent organ module and I'm sure it'll cover any gig.

• Members

Your response/recommendation on the Nord Electro Rack 2 is well taken. I have read great things about this unit and I've been meaning to test drive one. I only wish it didn't chew up so many rack spaces......Boy, I want it all don't I?

Chris

• Members

There is no clonewheel with a decent Leslie sim. I've heard them all. The closest ones are VK8/VR760 and the XK3, but they still don't hold up to a Dynacord CLS-222 or the real thing.

I disagree. I owned and loved the Dynacord CLS222 for the better part of 10 years and it indeed was the poster child of non-rotary Leslie sims. I have used most all of the Leslie simulators available, plus Motion Sound and I have a 122.

I do believe that the Leslie simulation in the Nord Electro is a better than the CLS222. It has much of the same warmth and space as the CLS222, but the realism is a notch better to my ears. The only thing it does not have is any way to adjust rotor speed or a couple of the other parameters on the CLS222. But I don't believe this is a problem, because Nord nailed the settings on the Electro. Leslie speed is sort of a "set it and forget it" thing, in any event.

The new version Korg CX3 also has a respectable Leslie simulation, with tons of tweakability. Between it and the Electro, I believe they definitely raised the bar on electronic Leslie simulation.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by kikedeolivos

You should play, feel, the Korg CX-3 (Version2)

The XK3 can't hold a candle against the Korg CX-3 Leslie sim.

I have both and just so you know the XK-3 is the thing happening out there. I just did a a huge gig and people could not believe the sound of it. You do not buy a clone for Leslie simulation alone. That is not a valid reason, it is secondary to sound, feel and features.

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

I have both and just so you know the XK-3 is the thing happening out there. I just did a a huge gig and people could not believe the sound of it. You do not buy a clone for Leslie simulation alone. That is not a valid reason, it is secondary to sound, feel and features.

First of all, I played the Hammond Suzuki several times and what other people/reviewers say, is up to them. I never buy anything because of other's opinions, I go out and try it for myself.

For starters:

1) The keybed is cheesy.

2) The location of the display is awfully positioned.

3) Does not respect a B3/C3 layout in terms of button positioning.

4) Big and heavy

4) Again, horrible Leslie sim, because, as you imagine, Hammond Suzuki sells Leslies, so, what's the point of putting a descent Leslie sim,: people, go and buy Leslies, Motion Sounds Low Pro, Pro 3T, Speakeasy Pres's.

At the end, you are hauling a lot of stuff that invalidates the point of having a "portable" do it all clone.

Just my opinion, I could have bought either and I'm keeping the CX-3.

• Members

First of all, I played the Hammond Suzuki several times and what other people/reviewers say, is up to them. I never buy anything because of other's opinions, I go out and try it for myself.

For starters:

1) The keybed is cheesy.

2) The location of the display is awfully positioned.

3) Does not respect a B3/C3 layout in terms of button positioning.

4) Big and heavy

4) Again, horrible Leslie sim, because, as you imagine, Hammond Suzuki sells Leslies, so, what's the point of putting a descent Leslie sim,: people, go and buy Leslies, Motion Sounds Low Pro, Pro 3T, Speakeasy Pres's.

At the end, you are hauling a lot of stuff that invalidates the point of having a "portable" do it all clone.

Just my opinion, I could have bought either and I'm keeping the CX-3.

SO the Leslie is a big deal to you. Yeah I like the CX-3's positioning I have a Version Two. The XK-3 is just better tonal wise. The keybed is not chessy. If you are worried about weight in a keyboard you should not gig. IT is a difference of 7 pounds.

• Members

SO the Leslie is a big deal to you. Yeah I like the CX-3's positioning I have a Version Two. But if someone bought a clone on Leslie sim alone that is kind of foulish. The XK-3 is just better tonal wise. The keybed is not chessy. If you are worried about weight in a keyboard you should not gig. IT is a difference of 7 pounds.

• Members

... If you are worried about weight in a keyboard you should not gig. IT is a difference of 7 pounds.

I've been gigging for about 33 years and yes, 7 pounds here, 5 pounds there make a big difference to me, maybe I'm getting too old but music is something that I am not giving up.

Take care.

• Members

I've been gigging for about 33 years and yes, 7 pounds here, 5 pounds there make a big difference to me, maybe I'm getting too old but music is something that I am not giving up.

Take care.

Yeah I understand that. I am really surprised you did not like the XK-3 keybed? It is a little different than the CX-3 I have to admidt. I know lifting equipment is a pain. Yes do not give up on the music and especially the Hammond organ!:)

Archived