How many horns do you have?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well - since this is a WOODWIND and brass forum....and us sax folk call our horns...er... horns:

1. Martin Baritone

2. Martin "Indiana" Tenor

3. Martin "Handcraft" C-Melody

4. Martin "Indiana" Alto

5. Martin "Handcraft" Soprano

6. Conn Clarinet

7. King Coronet

8. Artly Flute

9. King-Strasser Oboe

Additional non-horn stuff:

1. Gibson "Victory" electric guitar

2. SeaGull Acoustic guitar

3. Korg DW8000 synth

I can sorta play em all - except the Clarinet (working on it -truly the term "torture stick" applies) and the Coronet. . .

:wave:

• Members

Between me and my kids:

3 Bb trumpets

1 C trumpet

1 Eb/D trumpet

2 flugelhorns

1 French Horn

a school system tuba

Plus

4 guitars (Gibson ES345, Veillette-Citron, Ovation steel string, Takamine nylon string)

1 bass (Fender Jazz)

Steinway M

Rhodes

ARP Odyssey

Mac based project studio with the usual gear (synths and modules, mics and mic pre)

• Members

alright SBB, finally a thread that everyone can get into...democracy is a good

thing 'round here...

right now, 6 horns for me...

Selmer Series 9 bass clarinet, low C (late 60s vintage)

Buffet R-13 soprano clarinet (mid 50s vintage, early Moennig tapered bore)

Pearl sterling silver soprano flute (70s vintage, drawn tone hole, b foot)

Dave Guardala New York series tenor sax (early 90s vintage, silver plate)

Yanagisawa 990B alto sax (early 90s vintage, black lacquer)

Selmer Serie II soprano sax (late 90s vintage, silver plate)

• Members

Bach TB200 (with F attachment)--one person called this a Bach Omega, can someone here verify that? I've never heard that before...

Pennywhistles in D and C

Parlor-sized bagpipes (they were cheap, and I use them more for air support training than anything)

and my other "horns" (my true babies):

Gretsch Catalina Club 4 piece, silver sparkle; Ludwig supersensitive, ca. 1970's; Pearl Piccolo snare; various 1960's Slingerland marching drums (one bass and two snares--silver sparkle); K custom dark hi-hat and ride; A custom crash; Wuhan splash and china

• Members

Whoa, SB, I just noticed your amended sig and I have to say that I love it.

If you really need an absolutely complete trumpet arsenal:

Bb piston (maybe 2 or 3 differently voiced)

Bb rotary

C piston

C rotary

D

Eb (and not necessarily an Eb/D)

E (for playing the Hummel in its historically accurate key)

F

G

Bb/A piccolo

Bb flugelhorn

Eb flugelhorn (if you're playing in a British brass band)

Bb cornet

C cornet (Phil Smith plays one, IIRC for some posthorn solos like "Pines of Rome". If you're not Phil Smith, you probably don't need one.)

Natural trumpet

I can't remember what pieces call for F and G trumpets. I know there was a recent eBay sale of a Schilke G trumpet for $2600. Someone must have needed it.

Rotary trumpets are becoming requirements for auditioning for top symphonies. For the current NYP 2nd trumpet audition, the excerpt list specified which pieces were to be played on rotary. I know someone with a rotary piccolo. It definitely sounds different than, say, a Schilke P5-4.

I don't see a reason for owning a bass trumpet but there's probably some Wagner piece that calls for one.

• Members

Of course. For trombone, you'd have a bass trombone, a tenor, a tenor with F attachment, a tenor with a sound better suited to jazz, and a Superbone.

For trumpet, its Bb, C, picc, Eb, flugel, and cornet.

For Indo, Firebirds!
:thu:

well im broke i have a tenor trombone with f attachment. a sound suited to jazz is in the lips not the horn. :blah:

• Members

Bb rotary

C piston

C rotary

D

F

G

Bb/A piccolo

Bb flugelhorn

Bb cornet

C cornet (Phil Smith plays one, IIRC for some posthorn solos like "Pines of Rome". If you're not Phil Smith, you probably don't need one.)

Natural trumpet

I can't remember what pieces call for F and G trumpets. I know there was a recent eBay sale of a Schilke G trumpet for $2600. Someone must have needed it.

Rotary trumpets are becoming requirements for auditioning for top symphonies. For the current NYP 2nd trumpet audition, the excerpt list specified which pieces were to be played on rotary. I know someone with a rotary piccolo. It definitely sounds different than, say, a Schilke P5-4.

I don't see a reason for owning a bass trumpet but there's probably some Wagner piece that calls for one.

Damn! Love the list!

I'd sure love to try a couple rotary trumpets. I'm going to NAMM in January again, I guess I'll know what to look for! I think Scherzer is one of the more well-known rotary picc trumpet makers. IIRC, Allison Balsom used one for some of her recordings and sounded really fantastic.

And I figured if the guy with his name on the horn won't stand behind it, I shouldn't be pushing them TOO hard. But hey, Zig is pretty damn old. He'll be dead before too long, and then it'll be OK to buy new Kanstuls.:D

I only feel bad because he does have some very great guys working for him.

• Members

I think Scherzer is one of the more well-known rotary picc trumpet makers. IIRC, Allison Balsom used one for some of her recordings and sounded really fantastic.

That's the rotary picc I referenced. It's a great sounding instrument. The local guy who has one is a trumpet retailer/repairman with access to just about everything this side of Monette. It has a more round, "large horn" sound than the more common Schilke or Selmer. If you've heard the difference between a rotary Bb or C vs. piston, it's what you'd expect.

• Members

Bb rotary

C piston

C rotary

D

F

G

Bb/A piccolo

Bb flugelhorn

Bb cornet

Natural trumpet

If you can't play ALL that on a C and a picc, you're just compensating :D

• Members

If you can't play ALL that on a C and a picc, you're just compensating
:D

Oh, as if you're not compensating with that stupid slide :D

I'd bet Al Vizzuti could spend the rest of his career with nothing more than his Bb and those ridiculous chops.

But, the one who dies with the most toys, wins.

• Members

Fox Renard 222 Bassoon with High D Key

Martin Alto Saxophone (don't know much about it.)

Bach Stradivarius Trumpet

Armstrong Flute (it doesn't work...)

Accent Clarinet

The clarinet I really don't know much about. My mom bought it for me when I really wanted to play the clarinet, and it was cheap and works so I didn't really care what kind I got...

• Members

7 horns

Altos- SML (wonderhorn!) Also a Selmer Super 80

Tenor-Selmer Mk VI

Bari- An old Pan-American I won in a poker game

Trpt-Blessing student model

T-Bone-Another old silver plated Pan-American

Baritone-King student model

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has some SML saxophones. These are great horns.

Archived