Wondering about HC protocol

Teletypist

• Members

So I got a Newb offering a trade. Problem is he is grossly overstating his guitar.

I give him the details ( OK, maybe he doesn't want to believe what I tell him, but I gave him enough links to check it out).

Of course I'm still a jackass, and he proceeds to post/offer his deal in the forum.

Do I call him out on this?

Or let The Buyer Beware (IE Check it out for himself?)

• Members

Unless he is not keeping his end of a deal I think technically he is in the clear. If it is just what he is asking and what he says about his gear is not false, don't call him out. If you know he's wrong and can prove it, he just doesn't want to listen, I would call it out for the sake of new buyers or traders looking at gear.

• Members

Just to clarify 'cuz it makes a difference:

The guitar in question comes in several flavors, and a significant collectibilty/price factor between them. The "average" reader might (actually - wouldn't) know the diff between the models, and just go by the offered data.

That's why I posed the question - seems like there is a thin line here.

• Members

Hey Teletypist, how you doing?

Maybe my response here is colored by my experience of today... I went to check out what looked to be a beautiful Heritage H150 advertised on NYC Craigslist. Guitar was clean, sounded pretty good, nice frets... was beginning to think I'd make an offer....

Then I turned it over, looked closely at the headstock and saw the telltale signs of the snapped headstock repair! Nice repair job, mostly concealed, but there just the same. Of course the seller claimed he knew nothing of it and never saw it.... yeah right!

I think if someone is misrepresenting an instrument in a way that leads them to seriously overvalue it, you should point it out, in a nice way. I'm sick of hearing about innocent, especially younger, players getting ripped off. If this is a community, we should be able to put our two cents in on an instrument and if it starts a flame war, fine, so long as the person raising the question is respectful and poses it in a way that allows the seller to respond and counter with information that can be proven or debated.

:thu:

• Members

Teletypist points out that the instrument in question is not of the "rare" -- i.e., "more expensive" -- type, but the more common one. If seller is misrepresenting it as such, TT should point that out and if he's wrong, once the seller proves him wrong, good etiquette would be to apologize! But if TT is right, then shame on the seller and good for him for pointing it out.

• Members

Teletypist points out that the instrument in question is not of the "rare" -- i.e., "more expensive" -- type, but the more common one. If seller is misrepresenting it as such, TT should point that out and if he's wrong, once the seller proves him wrong, good etiquette would be to apologize! But if TT is right, then shame on the seller and good for him for pointing it out.

Hi George:

Thought about it- and your answer is correct.

I've PMd the seller, asked him to pull or modify the listing.

If he doesn't, I'll post the details of why I think he's off-base in his thread.

• Members

My wife doesn't really care for the literally thousands of hours I've spent on the internet looking at guitars over the years but I'll tell you what, I know my stuff when it comes to guitars and if I do happen to come across a deal that I'm not sure about I do my homework. Especially these days when it seems like dollars are harder than ever to come by. The internet is a big place and if you search hard enough, the answers are out there.

• Members

i had an experience here where the idiot was offering a USED eric Johnson strat for a trade equivelent of $2300...i first lol'd then i wrote in his thread that he may be asking too much considering there were EJ strats being sold here for $1300! He pm'd nasty {censored} to me and {censored}ed with my spam thread like a little spoiled brat. People are just too {censored}ing lazy to research the market or ask opinions here before they list.

• Members

Panoramic, no offence man. But, take a look at your own post here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307978

$225 for a Epi Sg jr.? I remember these selling new for between $99-(mabye)$150 new.

Like I said I don't mean to offend you or anything but mabye you can see why you haven't sold that jr. yet..................

• Members

haha yup they probably did, I based that price off something else altogether, which is the the quality of those plus the 90 rips, not a {censored}ty humbucker version. But hey whatever, my price on that is less than others I have seen of that model, plus now i am going $200

lol

Panoramic, no offence man. But, take a look at your own post here:

$225 for a Epi Sg jr.? I remember these selling new for between $99-(mabye)$150 new.

Like I said I don't mean to offend you or anything but mabye you can see why you haven't sold that jr. yet..................

• Members

I could be guilty of missing details from models I don't know as well, strats for instance. I apreciate when someone or people from the community speak out against mis-representations. I know that buyers beware but I have had a few good transactions here and think that younger less experienced buyers can use the input.

• Members

i had an experience here where the idiot was offering a USED eric Johnson strat for a trade equivelent of $2300...i first lol'd then i wrote in his thread that he may be asking too much considering there were EJ strats being sold here for $1300! He pm'd nasty {censored} to me and {censored}ed with my spam thread like a little spoiled brat. People are just too {censored}ing lazy to research the market or ask opinions here before they list.

I remember that- I also think he tried to claim that he expected that everyone would value their trades at new value as a starting point or something really bizarre- I actually was interested in the guitar but not after that little bit of logic.

Archived