OT: best sports coupe? best midsize sedan?

Jeebus

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
  • Members
Originally posted by Roald

uhm...does it have to be a new car?

I'd reeeeeally like a Citroen SM! what a nice car:

007g.jpg

and as a sedan, hmmm, this one: NSU Ro80

NSU_RO80_main.jpg

when I'd have to have a new car, the Coupe would be the Peugeot 406 (one of the last then, they just stopped producing it)

406coupe-01b.jpg

and midsize a Saab 9-3 or 9-5

Ha !! My lost twin !! We have the exact same taste in cars !! And dare I say, you have damn good taste !! Right now, I'd buy this one :

2004122849714857_01.jpg

Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8 V6 Turbo. It's a sport car and a Sedan in one.

• Members

I almost put in this one

Mercedes_Benz_72_Coupe_280CE_White_fs.jp

because it's so damn cool! I mean, it's just 'the taxi' in all it's glorious plumpness and then they put a coupe upper part on it! What a shape. I just like how this car screams 'I don't give a damn about what you think!'. It's not elegant but I like the attitude and th big white steering wheel.

but it's not really a -sports- coupe
:(

• Members

Speaking of sports coupes...

Mercedez has a couple of new diesel coupes. One is a twin turbo, the other a tri turbo(I saw the badge on the side of the car...triturbo).

Both are faster than their largest displacement gasoline equivalents. One of the diesels is only 0.4 seconds slower to 60 than the SL55 supercharged V8! It gets mid 30s miles per gallon observed, too. :eek:

That's the kind of diesel sedan I'm in the market for. :D

• Members

Add one more to the Saab list. I've tried to test-drive many of the cars on this thread, but my 6'5" frame just doesn't FIT in many of them.
I did fit in the BMW 3, loved the way it drove, but my 2001 Saab 9-3 XE Convertible blew its doors off. That's my sweetie! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by GregCh

beemers are a waste of $$,IMO

If you have $$$ to burn and want to make a yuppie statement, go ahead.

Disagree, brother Greg.

I drive a 330i - I love the thing to bits. I think it looks great, and rides like a dream. :cool:

To each his/her own...as a friend of mine is fond of saying - that's why there's blondes, brunettes and redheads. ;)

dB

• Members

Originally posted by 13ghostsofscoobydoo

How do you post images?

Put the letters "IMG" into brackets (these brackets "[]" not these "{}"), then paste the URL of the image you want to post, then put "/IMG" into brackets at the end of the URL.

That should do it.

dB

• Members

In seeking a replacement for my almost unreliable/noisy/rattly Volvo 740, I test drove the following cars: Mercedes-Benz C-Series Sedan, Volvo S60, BMW 3-Series Sedan, and Audi A4.

Since I've had my Volvo since forever, I thought the Volvo S60 would be the "one," but no. Even though it had good power and good features, it was very impersonal to drive. The streering wheel was ultra light and unpleasant and the interior too plasticky. Also, with all the options that I wanted, the price came out to WAYYY too much.

Then I drove the BMW. For a car with so much hype, I didn't like it. The interior of the car was not to my liking, nor was the re-design of the exterior, but it had plenty of oomph (this was the 2.5 liter I6, I believe) and using the manual automatic was fun! However, the suspension was too stiff and not to my liking and there were too many [expensive] options that I felt should have been standard.

On to the Mercedes-Benz. The car had a lot of power, but the interior felt fragile, as if I'd break something if I tugged on it too hard. I really liked it otherwise, but the people at the dealer were total arseholes, snobby, and generally not to my liking, so I said pass to that one, too.

Down the street, though, I test-drove a 2005 Audi A4 2.0T. Loved the power, interior, exterior (honestly, I think the front looks bad on the A4,) confort, options, and the customization potential (not aftermarket, just the combinations of options, etc.)

Long story short, I placed an order for a super-rare white on beige about 2 months ago. Lots of cool stuff, especially the price. I have been hearing some complaints about interior noise at low speeds (I was too busy flooring it to determine this during the test drive,) but I'll have to check it out. If all goes well, I should take delivery in about 2 weeks! :D

Here are some pictures (click for larger versions):

18.jpg

09.jpg

0a.jpg

09.jpg

And if I had more money, I'd get an RS4:

0507_audi_rs4_07_445.jpg

0507_audi_rs4_06_445.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by scubyfan

And if I had more money, I'd get an RS4:

0507_audi_rs4_07_445.jpg

0507_audi_rs4_06_445.jpg

Same colour as mine! Sadly not a RS4, just a plain old 1.9tdi (which anoraks will note must be a 2004 model with the old-style lights). ;)

• Members

13ghosts: 'tis a real shame it is!

flat_earth: wasn't that a Cerbera there a little while ago? Am I getting mixed up? Anyway, you can't argue with a Tuscan. TVRs are works of art!

For everybodys enjoyment, allow me to add the Sagaris:

sagaris.jpg

sagaris5.jpg

DJ
--

• Members

I think I read somewhere the guy who bought TVR is going to try and bring them to the States. That'd be really cool as I've never seen one in real life. They certainly have some interesting designs. I hope they are able to maintain quality and creativity to keep up with the companies that have more resources.

Archived