What key do you like to play in?

Outkaster

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like Dm. It is the saddest of all keys ;).

Exploding drummers aside, I don't understand why I sing better in A. But I do know that since I like just carry one harp, most of my acoustic guitar folk stuff is in G and D. And I have a much better grasp of the C/Am scale on the keys, for obvious reasons.

• Members

I think sharp and flat keys generally sound better than the typical pop tune keys like C F G, etc. Typically, I transcribe from a record or learn a song from the music, and change the key to fit my voice range, which usually beens lower the key.

I like Eflat, and BFlat. A lot of country songs are in D, which is a great key for country songs playing piano ala Floyd Kramer. :)

Mike T.

• Members

Without meaning to shatter your dreams or illusions, I doubt many (if any) of you have perfect pitch. In which case, it's unlikely you can tell which key music is in when you listen to it. Therefore, it's unlikely to make any difference when you play it.

Originally posted by Mintbeetle

C major, A minor, and G flat major pentatonic!

With respect, pentatonic refers to a scale not a key. If you're interested, pentatonic scales are commonly used as a basis for traditional scottish music composition, and use the first, second, third, fifth and sixth notes of the key.

Regards,

The Piano Man.

• Members

I am wondering how many new kybd players are using the transpose keys in their synths these days. I was watching a show in which the singer would call for a key change and I could see the kybd player count the half steps. I've played since the early 60's and there are still keys that I find problematic from time to time and I only wish this function was available decades ago - would have saved me thousands of hours and I just don't buy the idea that learning every key and scale will make you a better gigging player anymore.

• Members

Originally posted by gdh

I've played since the early 60's and there are still keys that I find problematic from time to time and I only wish this function was available decades ago - would have saved me thousands of hours and I just don't buy the idea that learning every key and scale will make you a better gigging player anymore.

PAGING DAVE HORNE

PAGING DAVE HORNE

(sorry - inside joke for KCers).:D

• Members

Just so we are all operating on the same page.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

In music theory, the key identifies the tonic triad, the chord, major or minor, which represents the final point of rest for a piece, or the focal point of a section. Although the key of a piece may be named in the title (e.g. Symphony in C), or inferred from the key signature, the establishment of key is brought about via functional harmony, a sequence of chords leading to one or more cadences. A key may be major or minor; music in the Dorian, Phrygian, and so on are usually considered to be in a mode rather than a key. When a particular key is not being described in the English language, different key naming systems may be used.

Although many musicians confuse key with scale, a scale is an ordered set of notes typically used in a key, while key is the center of gravity, established by particular chord progressions.

The chords used within a key are generally drawn from the major or minor scale associated with the tonic triad, but may also include borrowed chords, altered chords, secondary dominants, and the like. All of these chords, however, are used in conventional patterns which serve to establish the primacy of the tonic triad.

• Members

If it's boogie or blues.. or anything really fiddly, I like Em, Am and C. The twiddly bits are so much easier in those keys... and to be honest, I can't be arsed trying to be clever and playing it in odd keys. I only aspire to be as good as I need to be to get the result I want. :cool:

For my own work, I'm not sure why but I like Eb and B. The last song I wrote was a thunderous power rock meatloaf-esque epic in B and it just doesn't sound right in any other key. There's something about B I really like and sadly I'm not "muso" enough to explain it. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Jez

For my own work, I'm not sure why but I like Eb and B. The last song I wrote was a thunderous power rock meatloaf-esque epic in B and it just doesn't sound right in any other key. There's something about B I really like and sadly I'm not "muso" enough to explain it.
:rolleyes:

Isn't B the note that the universe resonates at? ...(although at a quite low octave)

Archived