F/S....'93 JCM 900 100w SL-X

64DUECE

• Members

Are you interested in my Marshall Plexi Clone as a straight up trade? Its in dead mint shape and come with JJ tubes. IT has EL34s in the power section. I paid $1000 for it. I just need an amp that has a master volume. Also, seeing that your in Indy, We might be able to meet somewhere to avoid shipping costs. PM me if you are interested.

50 watts
PTP hand wired
hot-rodded lead channel mod
bias lock mod

• Members

The SL-X is a model I am not familiar with, I did some research, it's interesting it has an extra valve stage.

How does this sound compared to a "regular" jcm900? Any real difference that you can tell? (better/worse?)

Looks really nice for a 14 year old amp

• Members

any interest in LaneyGH50L maybe?

No. I wanna sell this so I can get a 1959 SLP reissue.

I like Laney amps though.

I used to have an AOR 50 and I've played through a GH50L and the Iommi, and thought they sounded pretty tough.

• Members

Are you interested in my Marshall Plexi Clone as a straight up trade? Its in dead mint shape and come with JJ tubes. IT has EL34s in the power section. I paid $1000 for it. I just need an amp that has a master volume. Also, seeing that your in Indy, We might be able to meet somewhere to avoid shipping costs. PM me if you are interested.

50 watts

PTP hand wired

hot-rodded lead channel mod

bias lock mod

It's closer to what I need, but I'm after the 100 watt non master. I can remember posting on your thread when you got that amp. I think it looks sweet. If I change my mind, and wanna go back to a 50w non master volume amp, I'll keep this one in mind.

I've had a 1987x, and went the HotPlate route. One of the best amps I've ever had.

• Members

The SL-X is a model I am not familiar with, I did some research, it's interesting it has an extra valve stage.

How does this sound compared to a "regular" jcm900? Any real difference that you can tell? (better/worse?)

Looks really nice for a 14 year old amp

The 900's come out with a single channel. The 2100 and 2500 MkIII.

....and a 2 channel. The 4100 and 4500 Dual Reverb.

A few years later Marshall made the 2100 and 2500 SL-X.

In my opinion, none of them sound the same.

I've played through a 4500 that a friend used to have, and I've had a 2500 MkIII before. I thought the DR sounded thinner than my MkIII. But, I thought it did classic rock stuff better than the MkIII. Both use clipping diodes in the preamp gain. This may or may not have much to do with their tone. That debate has been going on here at the HCAF for years. I didn't bother me with either amp though. And I played through each amp in a band setting...loud as hell. I'll throw a boost in front of an all tube signal in a heart beat.

The SL-X looks identical to the MkIII. Single channel w/ 2 master volumes. 2 controls for the preamp too. One for preamp volume, and one for preamp gain. The main diff's are the 4 preamp tubes, no clipping diodes in the preamp, better trannys, and a much darker voicing overall. Pretty much adds up to a reworked MkIII. Same idea, they just tightened up the design a bit.

For me, it's a cool amp. It sounds like a gainy Marshall should. I just wanted to have a Marshall that I could plug straight into without leaning on a OD pedal. It's got plenty of gain so it does that fine, but I'm over it. I want another Plexi reissue.

Archived