Roland Juno: 106 or 60?

tuco

• Members

I am not a real keyboard player, but I want to get some

hot, hammond B3 kind of sounds for my home recording project.

I am using a Roland BR 1180, and a presonus blue tube

preamp to warm the signal up for my guitar and bass.

I am using the pre-loaded percussion.

I have read alot about these two synths, and they are in my

price range. From what i've read, the opinion seems to be that

the 60 is better for B3 sounds than the 106. Any thoughts?

I am thinking that the fact that the 106 is MIDI compatible

would be a plus for me, but I don't know ANYTHING about

MIDI---or much else, for that matter....:(

• Members

I've never heard anyone say these have great B3 sounds... is someone pulling your leg?

The Junos are analogue synths that make synthy sounds.. nisce strings, pads, some basses and thats about it... B3 sounds?? Well, perhaps it has a very basic organ tone, that probably would have sufficed in 1985 but now there are better keyboards around for doing organs I'd imagine...

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

I've never heard anyone say these have great B3 sounds... is someone pulling your leg?

The Junos are analogue synths that make synthy sounds.. nisce strings, pads, some basses and thats about it... B3 sounds?? Well, perhaps it has a very basic organ tone, that probably would have sufficed in 1985 but now there are better keyboards around for doing organs I'd imagine...

No, no one said they had GREAT B3 sounds I went to a Roland

forum, and some other reviews, and well, i guess SOME said the

60 had "great B3" sound I don't expect too much , because I don't have very much budgeted for organ.

Do you know of a better way for me to go here?

• Members

Maybe the question I should be asking is: What can I get in

the $300-$400 range (Ebay), that will get me close to

a hot B3 type of thing. I am thinking classic Steve Winwood,

or like the solo that plays at the commercial breaks on the

T.V. show "Monk".

• Members

no problem :)

You will be very happy I can tell ya. I had a DJ kind of guy around my flat and he fell in love with the EX5... it just seems to be very organic (theres that word!) and seems to appeal to rockers and electronica people... I rate it as among Yamahas best... and with a site like www.ex5tech.com you will never run out of sounds...

• Members

You could also check out any number of dedicated B3 clone modules like the Voce stuff. The 106 does an organ emulation. It's not that great, it sounds like a synth doing an organ. I used to use mine layered with a "percussion" sound on my JX10 when I had no other choice, but organ wasn't the biggest sound need back then- I'd never rely on it for an entire gig of organ.

• Members

OK, after a quick look around, it doesn't look like any Yamaha EX

5 or 7's are anywhere near the $300-$400 range.

Anyone else got a suggestion? Again, I want it for organ--

any other synth sounds are icing on the cake.

• Members

Originally posted by tuco

OK, after a quick look around, it doesn't look like any Yamaha EX

5 or 7's are anywhere near the $300-$400 range.

Anyone else got a suggestion? Again, I want it for organ--

any other synth sounds are icing on the cake.

Hmm.. I don't think you can be looking too hard because I got an EX5 for

• Members

Originally posted by dan88z

You could also check out any number of dedicated B3 clone modules like the Voce stuff. The 106 does an organ emulation. It's not that great, it sounds like a synth doing an organ. I used to use mine layered with a "percussion" sound on my JX10 when I had no other choice, but organ wasn't the biggest sound need back then- I'd never rely on it for an entire gig of organ.

Hmmm....the "micro B" module looks like the ticket--and one is available in the $150-$200 range. But---no keyboard. :(

• Members

Theres one on ebay for $300 atm

http://cgi.ebay.com/yamaha-EX5-keyboard_W0QQitemZ7355566744QQcategoryZ29552QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Could always do a snipe in the last few seconds...
;)

That link didn't work for me, but I DID see one for $300--

and one for $700+. I have a feeling it will go for much more,

but I am "watching" it, thanks. The problem is, I have been watching and bidding on Junos--both 106's and 60's for a

while now, and I haven't been succesful, even though I am a

"sniper" from WAY back....and i want to get going.

I will broaden my horizons now, thanks.

• Members

Hmm.. seems like links to ebay don't work anymore..

ANyway good luck, I really think an EX5 or EX7 (basically the same minus VL engine and half the polyphony) would suit any beginning keyboard/synthesist... much better than a Juno anyday.. the organ sounds are top notch.. great Procol Harum stuff in there... lots of grit too... :)

• Members

Hmm.. seems like links to ebay don't work anymore..

ANyway good luck, I really think an EX5 or EX7 (basically the same minus VL engine and half the polyphony) would suit any beginning keyboard/synthesist... much better than a Juno anyday.. the organ sounds are top notch.. great Procol Harum stuff in there... lots of grit too...
:)

Thanks, mate! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

the Juno 6 sounds better than either of them.

it does _one_ very excellent organ sound, similar to 888800000 with fast leslie and no chorus-vibrato. it only sounds convincing when played through a tube guitar amp.

i'm working on getting my Juno 6 (signed by B

• Members

Originally posted by BillyWa

You came to the right place!!!
:p

p.s. get off uranus ... and get an ensoniq vfx for cheap
xcellent
b3 sounds!
:)

hhmmmm...one reviewer says that the vfx has "maintenance issues", and he has had in in for repairs 4 times....price IS good, though.

• Members

The Juno-6 is exactly the same as the 60 without patch memory... maybe you meant JUPITER-6??

Anyway, the Juno-60's Hammond:

Juno-60 Hammond 1

and the Juno-106's Hammond:

Roland Juno-106 Hammond 1

Now, as the others said, the Junos are really good for analog synth, pads, strings and bass. But Hammond?

There are lots of other options on eBay for you to consider:

The Yamaha EX-series is great, but still a bit expensive on the used market.

I would suggest getting a Roland JV-1080 (or JV-1010 which is the same thing plus the Session card, minus display) module plus an M-Audio controller of your choice. It will run you about $300/400 and you'll have a great starting base. Then, when you catch the G.A.S. bug (AND YOU WILL) you'll be ready to add more modules. There's currently a 1080 for $290 BIN : see item 7354607092 and for example, an M-Audio Keystation 49e is $98 BIN see item 7356318038

The 1080 has GREAT Hammond sounds to start with, but if you really really want, you can expand it later with a 60s and 70s board and you'll have an incredible choice of organ sounds.

www.rolandus.com

www.m-audio.com

This solution will offer you professional Hammond, AND all the other sounds you need.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Varaldo

The Juno-6 is exactly the same as the 60 without patch memory... maybe you meant JUPITER-6??

Anyway, the Juno-60's Hammond:

Juno-60 Hammond 1

and the Juno-106's Hammond:

Roland Juno-106 Hammond 1

Now, as the others said, the Junos are really good for analog synth, pads, strings and bass. But Hammond?

There are lots of other options on eBay for you to consider:

The Yamaha EX-series is great, but still a bit expensive on the used market.

I would suggest getting a Roland JV-1080 (or JV-1010 which is the same thing plus the Session card, minus display) module plus an M-Audio controller of your choice. It will run you about $300/400 and you'll have a great starting base. Then, when you catch the G.A.S. bug (AND YOU WILL) you'll be ready to add more modules. There's currently a 1080 for $290 BIN : see item 7354607092 and for example, an M-Audio Keystation 49e is $98 BIN see item 7356318038

The 1080 has GREAT Hammond sounds to start with, but if you really really want, you can expand it later with a 60s and 70s board and you'll have an incredible choice of organ sounds.

www.rolandus.com

www.m-audio.com

This solution will offer you professional Hammond, AND all the other sounds you need.

EXCELLENT, Mr V! I will check out this route....yeah I guess I was mixed up---the 6 is cheaper than the 60.

• Members

In the $300 - $400 range, I'd look for a Korg N5 or N5EX. It has, in my opinion, some very good Hammond emulation patches (I thought they sat in a live mix better than my Triton), plus about 1,000 other sounds. Physically a very plastic build, but a great bang-for-the-buck board.

• Members

Thanks for the great clips Mr V.....you're a talented keyboardguy!

I couldn't tell any differences as you said (especially on my crappy

computer speakers), it sounds like an organ---but I am looking

for something hotter---were your clips direct or through an

amp and mic? I DO have tube amps, and a SS (swr workingman

15 bass) that I was thinking of micing....

Anyway, you've given me a lot to check out....

Archived