Roland Juno: 106 or 60?

tuco

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Varaldo

The Juno-6 is exactly the same as the 60 without patch memory... maybe you meant JUPITER-6??

no. i meant exactly what i said.

the extra digital {censored} in the Juno 60 makes certain fine-tuning adjustments of the controls not as fine as on the 6. the organ sound i can make on the 6 is unpossible on the 60 or the 106.

i realise that the 6 is supposed to be the same as the 60, but i know that the juno 6 i had sounded much better than the two 60s i've played outside of it. EDIT: which probably has something to do with their conditions.

i'm kind of poking fun saying the 6 sounds better than the 60, it sounds the same, but the 6 is better because it doesn't have patch storage.

• Members

Originally posted by tuco

What about the Voce Micro B, hooked up with the M-Audio 49e?

The Voce Micro B has an extremely authentic Hammond sound (I have a Micro B II ). However, its on-board Leslie simulator is absolutely horrible! The "fast" speed sounds like a whiny vibrato, at best. You will definitely need a dedicated Leslie simulator with this axe. I play mine through a Dynacord CLS-222. Sounds fabulous.

• Members

Originally posted by Pawnz

The Voce Micro B has an extremely authentic Hammond sound (I have a Micro B II ). However, its on-board Leslie simulator is absolutely horrible! The "fast" speed sounds like a whiny vibrato, at best. You will definitely need a dedicated Leslie simulator with this axe. I play mine through a Dynacord CLS-222. Sounds fabulous.

Sheesh, seems my "cheap" route is getting complicated! I

DEFINITELY want a good leslie.....that's key: B3 and leslie.

All other synth voices would be nice---but I don't expect

Pink Floyd on a garage budget, and I really only like the B3

for my type of rock/blues.

• Members

Originally posted by tuco

My next question is: does the Roland JV 1080's leslie sound as good as it's B3 sound? Is the leslie's speed changable with a pedal?

the JV-1080 does 888800000 passably with the onboard leslie. you'd have to programme it right though. i've never programmed one. i had the XP-80 keyboard.

why do you want a keyboard for this? why don't you just get an M3 and a Rotosphere or something? it would sound _much_ better than any of the stuff in this thread.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

the JV-1080 does 888800000 passably with the onboard leslie. you'd have to programme it right though. i've never programmed one. i had the XP-80 keyboard.

why do you want a keyboard for this? why don't you just get an M3 and a Rotosphere or something? it would sound _much_ better than any of the stuff in this thread.

:confused:

I looked back, and I don't see a reference to an "M3"--what

is it? And who makes the Rotosphere?

• Members

OK, I figured it out....but the Korg M3 and the H & K Rotosphere

are gonna be around $300 EACH, used. I am starting to think

that I am not going to be able to get what I want for the

$$ I can spend...:(

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

uh dude i meant a HAMMOND M3.

OK, I found one on Ebay that is only $120 right now--but

shipping on a full-size organ?

And again, the Rotoshere along is around $300.

It doesn't look like my budget will get me were I want to be.

• Members

It's sorta like you have champagne taste on a beer budget. You CAN get a decent organ sound for your budget, but it's going to be lacking in a lot of areas. If a good organ is the sound you really want to have, then forget about looking at synths like the Junos or anything like that. Look at some kind of organ clone, or a real Hammond like mentioned. Yes, shipping on an M3 would be horrible. Try and find one local, they are out there. Otherwise, you will most likely need to increase your budget some, and look at the Voce stuff or maybe a Roland VK7 which has a good basic organ sound. The leslie simulators in the Voce's may not be the best but it sounds like you really don't have much experience with leslies or drawbars based on your questions, so the Voce will probably sound fine compared to using a Juno for organ sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

Nobody mentioned the DX-7 yet? There you've got 6 drawbars, and it's cheap, too. Do add a rotary + tube effect or something though.

Looks interesting, thanks for the tip!

• Members

Based on your previous assumption that the Juno-60 would be good for organ sounds, let me please clarify my suggestion.

The DX7 has 6 sinewave oscillators. A regular B3 has 8 tonewheels - the vintage electromechanical equivalent of the sinewave oscillator. As you have seen, "presets" are defined by a row of 8 numbers which can each vary in volume. When a number is 0 on the B3 it won't do anything (except cause minor electronic signal bleeding, maybe). So, technically, the DX7 would be 'too small'. This should not pose many problems - because not all of 'm are on on full volume anyway, and this allows you to skip the "zeros" (no sound, right?).

You can put these oscillators in various configurations called "algorithms". The most basic algorithm has the 6 of 'm in parallel, which means, when properly tuned, they can act as 6 'drawbars'. You can control both volume and pitch - you could build a basic patch on the DX7 to use as a starting point.

The main advantage is that the DX is cheap - because a lot of 'm have been made and they're not easy to program (hence : not a lot of time has been put into making one's own sounds so the attachment of the owners isn't that high).

A Korg N5 or X5D as earlier suggested would offer you a lot of B3 too - so would an E-mu Vintage Keys pro (the new version, not the old one). These come with the whole rotary effect included but they cost a bit more. It's light-weight too. Don't expect complete control; after all it is dependant on its internal samples, so in order to get something like an 80880080 you might have to stack an 80800000 and an 00080080. Simple arithmetics on paper, fiendishly difficult in practice.

A secondhand Roland XP-30 as earlier suggested with the Keys of the 60's and 70's would be pretty capable too; but this might go above your budget. Also, you can find an XP-30 without the card, but you'd have to program all your own organ settings then, and the Keys of the 60's and 70's card has 130 presets (and better samples) with the names referring to the classics/standards, so it's easier to search through.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A CX-3 is a dedicated organ simulator/clonewheel. An EX-5/7 simply has an organ as one of the (series) of multisamples and presets.

Since the CX-3 is of a more recent date and it features waterfall keys, and a dedicated Leslie sim the answer'd be pretty obvious, really.

Here's a review:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan01/articles/korgcx3.asp

Archived