My MS-20 demo, you decide

Trillian

• Members

This is really nice.. quite frankly I couldn't care if it was a Korg MS20 or not this is just great stuff... I never knew you could take a solo like that... it has that vibe of bands like Air but theres something more to it than that... very inspirational and full of personality.

I like stuff that people just bang together really quickly... a nice groove a killer bass line and really nice retro elec piano sound (how did you do that.. double track? Or are the oscillators tuned in 5ths)

I can't really fault it in anyway... I know you didn't intend it to be a composition but to me it is...

Peace
Ofunk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by sizzlemeister

being irrational, and, frankly, completely moronic.

the little world your ego has built for your consciousness.

Your arrogant response

despise your presence.

Too late, sweetheart

I took five minutes or so to really think about replying to you or not, but here goes.

You know, if you just need to chat with me, you really could just be polite or go about it in a far more constructive manner, pm me, start a thread for me and then hope ill take part or maybe just ask me out to dinner. You certainly go out of your way to make me know your around. I only know you due to these kind of rants you seem to enjoy throwing my way.

But here's the deal.

You make an apology to me and i'll think about if an apology needs to be made to Flat Earth, hows that sound?

This was just an ordinary thread with members sharing opinions about the Korg MS20 untill your little out burst. My comments to Flat Earth have nothing to do with you, if Flat Earth feels i owe him an apology, let him speak out. It's a well known fact that he/she can get a little defensive about Korgs, it was not meant to be an out right attack on him, i have been chatting with Flat Earth on my other thread, i like him/her. I found it interesting how he/she would use the confusion smiley and the words " totally disagree " when just a " i disagree " would of said it all? The use of the smiley suggests that he seemed shocked and/or confused to learn anyone could have negative opinions about the MS20.

So sizzle, what did it have to do with you?

I really find the way you post to me and conduct yourself when im around fascinating, especially the way you blatantly exaggerate things and your ability to be so hypicritical as if just to get a response from me!! Maybe your getting off on this reply from me? Who knows?

You also seem to enjoy speaking on behalf of others at times, like with your " despise comment "

Do you think i don't know a small heavily harmed resistance fighter unit lies in wait for me around here? Why, are you their leader?

Joking aside now, i have had problems due to the ADSR episodes? but you're seriously deluding yourself if you believe that there are more members like you than the members who just enjoy reading threads and posts and couldn't give a fig who posts as long as the threads and posts are useful. You're in the minority and not the majority.

I actually wonder how many people actually despise people like you, with your ability to ram your way into a debate like some super hero defending everyone from the ways of ADSR and your ability to be easily as arragant as the people you claim to be arragant and then run off screaming for a ban!!

You know, all i seem to get from you is the usual rantings, abuse and insults but this time you top it with a request of an apology to someone who may not even feel he/she needs an apology from me...!!

Again, sorry Sheryl, i just needed to say that.

• Members

Nobody despises anyone here at the forum its just that we all have different takes on what we like its as simple as that...

There are certain people who come across as either being professional or amateur but I often think the amateurs are the ones who create the more interesting stuff..

The great thing about music is that its so accessible to all.. the bad thing is that a lot of whats out there is so disposable or under utilised.

• Members
Originally posted by Trillian

OK, I took a little time out from watching TV and recorded a quicky MS-20 demo. Now, this is not intended to be a killer composition or a polished performance, it's totally simple (because I am basically lazy).

Wow, if this is a lazy effort, I would love to be blown away with you actually making a polished performance! This is great stuff!

Once again proving that it is the Musician, not the Instument making The Music!

My CS-15 cowers to your MS-20 greatness! :p

• Members

I thought it sounded excellent. Yeah, the MS is a little weedy, but it sounds great in the proper context. I personally am not into most vintage synths. I'm of the opinion that technology is my friend. I even prefer the sound of a GOOD digital to the sound of most (maybe not all) analogs. Give me a Q, Creamware, or an ION over most vintages pieces any day. I do fall into one vintage "camp" however, and that would be Oberheim. The camp that couldn't be any further from Korg. (and yet, I still totally appreciated the sound in this demo, AND the excellent playing.) Vintage Korg is probably the most distant consideration I could have as far as what I would want to own, but she made it sound very nice. I can appreciate when someone takes something I don't personally go for, or a style I don't usually listen to, and make it cool through skillful use/ability/talent. Nice demo, nice sounds, gives me a little more respect for the MS, but it's still last on my list. :)

Someone could take a Casio PT-10 and some stomp boxes and make something I'd like. Would I personally rush out and buy a PT-10? No. (actually I have one from when I was a little kid :D )

Anyway, nice demo.

• Members

That sounds great - cheers for that Trillian - some excellent playing.

I thought the piece had a real 'Air' vibe to it! BBC might want to play that on the next series of Gardeners World! ;)

For some more MS20 sounds check out William Orbit (as previously mentioned in this thread) or Shpongle / Hallucinogen (if you want to get really extreme!)

• Members

This was just an ordinary thread with members sharing opinions about the Korg MS20 untill your little out burst.

Erm no, it was fast turning into an ordinary ADSR thread where you start with some subtle baiting, making out that anyone who disagrees with you has some sort of issues/perverse incentive, and then just keep ramping it up until someone bites.

• Members

very well done Sheryl, after all it's about making music with what you've got not how much you've got. I have never owned an MS series, always Moog but I appreciate them for what a good musician can do with them.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Purity_Control

Erm no, it was fast turning into an ordinary ADSR thread where you start with some subtle baiting, making out that anyone who disagrees with you has some sort of issues/perverse incentive, and then just keep ramping it up until someone bites.

No, what i think you will find is that a few of you occassionally get so paranoid its as if you cannot help yourselves but to look for and find any ressemblance to past ADSR posts.

I think you are being unfair and just a little paranoid.

This is the second time in just a few weeks you have mentioned the word " bait " Any opinions i gave regarding the MS20 i stand by, so no baiting at all.

I think you should also practice what you preach or atleast read your own quote and then take a look at all the posts in this thread and see if anyone else deserves to have the word " bait " levelled at them.

You are reading far to much into this, chill a little, this is a nicer ADSR experience, watch and observe and don't be too quick to judge :)

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

and really nice retro elec piano sound (how did you do that.. double track? Or are the oscillators tuned in 5ths)

Peace

Ofunk

'Just realised I never answered your question. The chords were done just by playing each note of the chord progression on separate tracks. It does sound a bit like an old RMI piano or something but I didn't realise that when I was playing the single notes, I just wanted a sound that wouldn't get in the way.

-Sheryl

• Members

I -LOVE- the bassline on this track. Thumping, dynamic, but still very tight and disciplined playing. Very good effects, too. Very fitting. The substitute EP is good too - a little compression to pull it up a bit in the mix would've been nice though, right now you have to listen carefully.

How long did this take you to do?

I do miss the Solina String ensemble though. But that's just for the completeness of the whole vibe ;). This one definately goes in the collection here :).

re: bzzt & wow : I've always seen the MS as a dry but agressive bass machine, sort of like a truly manual TB-303 but with a different character, and as the champion of the wormy portamento saw lead with an evil edge.

One of the filters I'd like to see in the Ion (provided that those developers will surprise us again) would be the MS-20 filter. Right now I usually employ the ARP-emulation, but this one is 'wetter' in its resonance and has a different kind of bite.

• Members

Originally posted by Trillian

'Just realised I never answered your question. The chords were done just by playing each note of the chord progression on separate tracks. It does sound a bit like an old RMI piano or something but I didn't realise that when I was playing the single notes, I just wanted a sound that wouldn't get in the way.

-Sheryl

damn thats cool, Im gonna have to do that indeed. Hey Trillian, did you know that there is a patching trick to make the MS20 actually duophonic! I have the patching notes at home and its not nearly as good as doing it your way but it is interesting!

• Members
Originally posted by Yoozer

How long did this take you to do?

I do miss the Solina String ensemble though. But that's just for the completeness of the whole vibe
;)
. This one definately goes in the collection here
:)

Hi Yoozer,

I guess it took me about an hour. Most of that time was spent noodling and playing around with the sounds. I put a drum loop up in Acid and played the bassline first and then did the chord part. Yeah, I should have gone for a sustained string type sound, as it would benefit from an ethereal high string pad. Then I did the solos and lastly I brought in the sci-fi sound effects from a folder of effects I did in previous programming sessions.

If you took into account the time spent creating the little sound effects it would obviously be longer.

In the newer demo I didn't use any sounds from previous sessions, it's all stuff I did on-the-spot and I will most likely re-use some of the effects eventually because I was quite pleased with a few of them. The newer demo took about three hours and I don't consider it wasted time at all because I am very happy with the melodies I came up with in the second half, so those will definitely be used at some point down the road.

-Sheryl

• Members
Originally posted by electrobaby

damn thats cool, Im gonna have to do that indeed. Hey Trillian, did you know that there is a patching trick to make the MS20 actually duophonic! I have the patching notes at home and its not nearly as good as doing it your way but it is interesting!

No, I did not know there was a way to make it duophonic :o I would be curious how it can send two different voltages from the keyboard in order to get each oscillator to play a different note.
That's very interesting.

-Sheryl

• Members
This is really nice.. quite frankly I couldn't care if it was a Korg MS20 or not this is just great stuff...

my thoughts exactly. Just great music and if the MS20 inspired you to create this then it's a great synth already! Wicked soloing, really awesome. Soundwise I think this synth is not the one-thing-does-it-all, it just has it's own (pretty freaky and agressive :D) territory. I see a lot of live bands and many still use MS20s, in fact they're the only real analogs I see a lot, maybe they're simply reliable. Sometimes it doesn't need to be thumping bass and round leads (moog) or flutes (arp) {just to overboxify stuff :D}

• Members

I think you are being unfair and just a little paranoid.

Naw, we've been here so so many times before. We both know how it always starts, how it always pans out, and how it always ends. I seriously doubt it will be any different this time:(

seeing as this is about the ms20, I think it's fair to say that its a nicer HADSR experience.

That is one of it's nicer touches, along with that nifty little LFO that can morph from a triangle to a square (was it triangle and square - a while since I owned one) and the duel filters.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Purity_Control

Naw, we've been here so so many times before. We both know how it always starts, how it always pans out, and how it always ends. I seriously doubt it will be any different this time:(

You know, i really could say exactly the same about you, your above quote goes a long way to summing up your slightly negative ways occassionally, but people are often the last to know about themselves. Is it reasonable to suggest you may have a slightly negative view of the whole ADSR thing and have you ever thought about the positive things ADSR gave to the forum? It works both ways you know.

Don't throw stones if you also live in a glass house! Try to look for the positives more, it will all work out much nicer if you do, you'll see :)

• Members

Trillian/Sheryl, if you were selling you're M20 I'd be sold on the grounds of the demo. Really tasty. Lovely shape to the solo and lots of character you squeezed out of the synth. Wish most synth demos were half as good.

And yeh I'm a sucker for the BBC/Dr Who effects. I'm only a novice at programming (have a DSI), can do leads and bass etc. and understand the terminology, but I would be really grateful if you wouldn't mind explaining how you got the effects (at around 13 seconds and from 1:45-2:07).
Thanks.
Peter

Off to see if I can't track down "Astromill".

• Members
Originally posted by niacin

Trillian/Sheryl, if you were selling you're M20 I'd be sold on the grounds of the demo. Really tasty. Lovely shape to the solo and lots of character you squeezed out of the synth. Wish most synth demos were half as good.

And yeh I'm a sucker for the BBC/Dr Who effects. I'm only a novice at programming (have a DSI), can do leads and bass etc. and understand the terminology, but I would be really grateful if you wouldn't mind explaining how you got the effects (at around 13 seconds and from 1:45-2:07).

Thanks.

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks :)

The effects were done in a previous session some time ago and the key to most of them is heavy use of echo and then just the modulation on the MS-20. I used an Electrix 'Mo FX' for echo and for the classic retro 1960's type sound effects it is set to something around 200 milliseconds, maybe a bit less and lots of regen.

-Sheryl

Archived