Greatest Piano Solos of All Time

Learning67

• Members

No GLen Gould! No McCoy Tyner! No Classical or jazz! Make that a different thread.

Best Rock and Roll Piano Solos?

Bill Payne on Dixie Chicken from the little Feat live album

Steve Winwood, Low Spark (?)

Jerry Lee Lewis Great Balls of Fire

Who played piano on the Chuck Berry records? that guy rocks.....

hmmmm...Im thinking more about great rock pianist more than great rock piano solos....

Roy Bitten

Chuck Leval

Steve Winwood

Nicky Hopkins

recent tragic events have prompted me to get back into the New Orleans tradition of piano players

Professor Longhair and Alan Tousaint are just amazing..................

discuss amongst yourselves............

• Members

Gotta go with the Bill Payne. There's a transcription from an old Keyboard magazine interview floating around here somewhere.

Ah, here it is:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/18/t/009027.html#000000

While I am a strident defender of intellectual property rights, when this appeared on this forum I checked with Keyboard magazine and it is not available from them, so one can assuage one's guilt (however much you may or may not have) since it is not commercially available.

• Members

I agree that Billy Payne is great. In addition to his work with Little Feat, check out his opening on the Doobie Brothers' "Sweet Maxine." That has to be among the tastiest of any 12 second solos!

Here's another guy to consider: Bruce Hornsby. Too many stellar piano solos by him to list!

Cheers,

Tim

• Members

lady madonna is great but doesn't have a 'solo'.

and I really like some of the flavs on the animals songs.

plus- who can forget the edge on 'new years day'?

but that piano work on the black crows 'remedy' is money- one mother of a breakdown. the whole 'southern harmony...' record, in fact- that's my vote.

• Members

Chuck Leavell's solo on the Allman Bros.' "Jessica" (or any of his other soloes on the "Brothers & Sisters" album, for that matter)

Billy Powell's solo on Skynyrd's "I Know a Little"

"Last Date" by Floyd Cramer (don't laugh, I'm serious!)

Anything by Bill Payne

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

Worth mentioning again: Emo on "Karn Evil #9, 2nd Impression"

I agree with this. In fact, I sometimes prefer the piano-driven work of ELP more than their organ/synth driven work (though this is not always the case). So in addition to ELP71 and Tucktronix's mention of "2nd Impression," I'd also add the piano work on "Trilogy," -- (also mentioned by Cruel Hoax), "Endless Enigma," "Bitches Crystal," and "Benny the Bouncer." Sure, the last one is a bit comedic, but it's still has some great piano work.

Cheers,

Tim

• Members

Don't quite get how you can exclude 'jazz' or jazz influenced players from a list like this. - true great solos are improvised so isn't that more or less the same thing as jazz ? ANd Blues/boogie - ? where do you draw the line ?

Greg Philligaines (?) the intro to 'Maxine' on Nite fly

MIchel Camilo's cuban pliano playing on 'One More Once'

The best piano solos are by Jazz Pianists - They know the changes and how to work with them.

• Members

what about the intro to 'firth of fifth' on the original 'Selling England by the Pound' album by Genesis? Also dig the intro in 'they won't go where I go' by Stevie Wonder. Or Billy Joel's tasty stuff in 'scenes at an italian restaurant'.....

Archived