Why always label the knobs?

felix

• Members

My SID Station Rack has no knob or button labels. There are only 4 controller knobs, and one big encoder though. The newly designed face will have silk-screening. The old one without the labels looks cool, but if you pick the right font, labels can look better than none. I especially like the old style of grouping sections with a rounded thin line (see the Prophets, PPGs for example.) Along those lines, I think the OB*12 is one of the coolest looking synths ever made. Sometimes labels get a little cluttered and become ugly, but done right I think they look good.

• Members

Originally posted by felix

Somewhat silly subject, but when looking at some guitars and basses, it struck me that the knobs and switches are never labeled.

oddly, they sometimes are (strat knobs for instance)

generally, I think the reason is that there just aren't that many knobs on a guitar, the ergonomics tend to put them in "default" positions, and the functions are pretty apparent in about 1.5 seconds (so if there is concern, check em as you are strapping on)

The guitar synths of the 80s actually DID have functions labelled (Typically on a clear plastic sheet tat could be removed at the player's choice)

• Members

Somewhat silly subject, but when looking at some guitars and basses, it struck me that the knobs and switches are never labeled.

Someone should make a cool-looking synth with unlabeled knobs. Could be slick.

Just use a controller keyboard - they dont usually have useful labels on them :)

• Members
Something like the 4ms Triwave Picogenerator doesn't usually come with labelled knobs, I don't think.

I wouldn't exactly call that a synth though, and it looks more like something some high school kid made in shop class anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by Khazul

Just use a controller keyboard - they dont usually have useful labels on them
:)

and what PITA they are!

So how may knobs does a geetar have then? Is the knob on the Micron labelled?

• Members

Could be liberating - no preconceived notions... (just a thought, seriously).

Then again, could be like tweaking a Korg Karma - you'd never quite be sure what's going to happen.

But then again, sometimes that could be a good thing.

Somehow, I imagine a synth with a wood control panel, chrome knobs - could be kinda cool in a way.

Maybe the LCD display changed to reflect what parameter was being adjusted when a knob was turned.

Just imagining what a boutique synth could look like.

• Members

Someone should make a cool-looking synth with unlabeled knobs. Could be slick.

Sure! It could also have an OS which changes/swaps the function of every knob at random, every time you power it up.

Coming up with crazy, mangled sounds shouldn't be a problem anymore... :D :D :D :D

• Members

It's not exactly the same thing (it's worse!), but the Ensoniq Mirage is edited solely by parameter numbers. For example, to edit cutoff you punch in the number 36, and then you adjust with increment/decrement buttons. The Mirage has about 72 parameters that are edited this way, and there is absolutely nothing on the front panel or on the display that shows which number corresponds to which parameter.

Chicks jizz their panties over it every time I show them, trust me. :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by BOBA JFET

It's not exactly the same thing (it's worse!), but the Ensoniq Mirage is edited solely by parameter numbers. For example, to edit cutoff you punch in the number 36, and then you adjust with increment/decrement buttons. The Mirage has about 72 parameters that are edited this way, and there is absolutely nothing on the front panel or on the display that shows which number corresponds to which parameter.

Chicks jizz their panties over it every time I show them, trust me.
:rolleyes:

:D

• Members

In all seriousness, the Mirage gets bagged for this kind of thing a lot and even more commonly it receives criticism for it's use of hex parameters. But when you think about what it did for the price it went for when it was new, it's actually a bit incredible it did as much as it did and it sounded as nice as it did doing it (and the mirage does sound quite pleasing, believe it or not). At the time, an obtuse UI probably seemed like a pretty minor complaint when you could get a sampler for under $2000 MSRP.

*PS - sorry for the semi-hijack. :)

Archived