leslie 2101

rvandenbroeck

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

.....my favourite organ tone was Keith Emerson's, which uses none of this stuff........
[/url]

+1

Not to get too far off track here, but what did he use? It seems I recall an interview stating he used 122s with a Marshall heads. Is this correct? Anything else?

• Members

Originally posted by Pawnz

Not to get too far off track here, but what did he use? It seems I recall an interview stating he used 122s with a Marshall heads. Is this correct? Anything else?

a combination of 122s, 145s, 925s, and 31Hs all hacked up and repainted with the amps removed and drivers replaced with JBL components, driven from original-series Hiwatt DR201 amps with the KT88 quartet.

basically it was a total frankenstein wall of leslies and raw tube power.

on the records i don't know exactly what was used but in The Manticore Movie there are studio shots which show him using at least one of the live cabs in the studio, which leads me to believe there wasn't that much of a difference.

i mean, that is _not_ a 122 or a 147 on Tarkus.

• Members

Keith Emerson's Hammond organ had drawbars that went to 11 ;)

I just picked up the complete Wooden Nickel recording of Styx, their first four records from the early 70s. Nothing earth-shattering here. They were much more progressive back then and you could hear Emo's influence in Dennis DeYoung's hammond playing, which is not evident on their later more well-known songs.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

a combination of 122s, 145s, 925s, and 31Hs all hacked up and repainted with the amps removed and drivers replaced with JBL components, driven from original-series Hiwatt DR201 amps with the KT88 quartet.

basically it was a total frankenstein wall of leslies and raw tube power.

on the records i don't know exactly what was used but in The Manticore Movie there are studio shots which show him using at least one of the live cabs in the studio, which leads me to believe there wasn't that much of a difference.

i mean, that is _not_ a 122 or a 147 on Tarkus.

Thanks for the info, suitandtieguy! I would just love to play that rig for at least 30 seconds!

No telling what mods were done to his C-3......although Geoff did some stuff....I think to install MIDI. I'm fairly certain that he also used a Voce module for the percusion only (probably a V-3), to beef up the percussion. Has anyone heard this? If you look on EMO's web site, he lists Voce on his equipment list.

• Members

FWIW, Leslie went to foam rotors before abandoning the 2-speed motor stack. 80's-vintage 122's sport foam rotors...

As for the motors, HS has supposedly worked out the bugs and the latest rev is fairly reliable in the field. As for the tone, I heard Tony Monaco's old B-3 through two 122A's that had been retrofitted with Jensen P15LL's. Hokey smokes that rig sounded great (well, it was also in the hands of a great player).

Best Leslie I've ever heard? 22R converted to 122 by Murph Wanca in Nashville. (nashvilleprohammond.com). Un-freaking-believably sweet Leslie. Nothin' like the old plywood cabinets!

Todd in Beerbratistan

• Members

There is a new kid on the block, that several guys are raving on. Super compact, genuine leslie amp (but super spec'ed) and horn, big bass for its size, loud, big balls and tone, did I mention balls?

It's not cheap, and it doesn't use a bass rotor. According to those early adopters who have one, it's the best thing they have ever tried for live gigging.

http://www.speakeasyvintagemusic.com/roadbox_mark3.htm

• Members

There are a few guys out there (Hammond Store, Keyboard Specialties, Speakeasy, Tonewheel General Hospital, B3 guys, Goff, Tom Petro, etc.) that an refurbish the older shortie Leslies (142, 145, etc.). In general, they run around the $1500 - $2500 range. This typically includes amp rebuilding (redoing the caps, wiring, new tubes, rebuild the motors, speaker replacement, etc.). More if you want the cabinet refinished. If you go the build your own from Ebay and other replacement wood parts, etc. (see previous thread), it probably costs around the same or less, depending upon your soldering and wiring skills and bargain hunting skills. I've noticed some ads are selling a "less desirable" Hammond model (i.e. non-B-3, C-3, A100 series, etc.) with a "desirable Leslie for about the typical cost of the "desirable" Leslie series (122, 147, 142, 145) alone. Last time I checked, the Leslie 2101 was around $1000 or so. I'm sure if you got all the Hammond players together from this and other forums, there would be very "animated" discussions. Just read the comments from the guys in the B-3 shootouts in Keyboard magazine, and you see the same thing. Also, remember, depending upon what's been done to a Leslie, its use, age, etc., just like the tonewheel organs, no 2 used tube will sound exactly alike.

It's all about what sounds good to YOU. As discussed, every artist had their own Hammond sound, so use your ears (with your wallet's limitations). With all due respect to the players and others in the audience, 95% of the time, the crowd won't tell the difference (100% if you have a bad or drunk sound man).

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Forgive me.. I know this thread is so old.. but I found this on google searching and it's been a real pain... I have a 3 year old Leslie 771 hooked up to a Hammond A100 but not too long ago the upper or lower motors no longer turn.. So checking the wire leads to the motors I found out I'm not getting any power to them.

So me and some others have put the blame on the motor controller board.. BUT it's so hard to find info on it and 3 years is not that long of a time for something like this to go out.

Any ideas on how much it would be to replace it?

• Members

Forgive me.. I know this thread is so old.. but I found this on google searching and it's been a real pain... I have a 3 year old Leslie 771 hooked up to a Hammond A100 but not too long ago the upper or lower motors no longer turn.. So checking the wire leads to the motors I found out I'm not getting any power to them.

So me and some others have put the blame on the motor controller board.. BUT it's so hard to find info on it and 3 years is not that long of a time for something like this to go out.

Any ideas on how much it would be to replace it?

PM me and I will get an answer for you

• Members

I have a Speakeasy Roadbox III which is more portable than a real leslie but still 90 lb (A real short box leslie is more like 130 lb).

It has a super loud 60 watt leslie amp but uses a direct fire 12" for bass so you give up the lower rotor sound. Tonewise it is authentic.

• Members

Holy crap, I looked a few posts back and I said the exact same thing 9 months ago.

To answer the new question - if you get no love from Suzuki you could consider some Caribbean controller boards. They are more reliable than Suzuki from what I hear. Speakeasy sells them, you might be able to find them elsewhere as well.

Archived