best outboard reverb <= $1000?

Jeebus

• Members

if you need actual rack hardware format, a used Lexicon PCM-90 w/Dual card.

if reverb quality is more imortant than anything else, and rack format is not needed, a used Lexicon NuVerb hosted in a used (and inexpensive) Mac that has a '030 or '040 68K processor w/math co-processor...something like a Mac IIci, Quadra 650, 900, etc. - and this will be less $ than a used PCM-90.

you should probably also consider the Kurzweil Rumour.

all other ideas are north of the $1K mark.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions Ian.

I've looked into the NuVerb and as tempting as it is, the last thing I have room for is another computer. I'd really like something in rack format for this reason. *sigh* :(

I'll check out Rumour.

I am open to units slightly above $1k, ie, up to $1200 if the quality is substantially higher than something at the $1k mark.

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

i've been watching several PCM91s go for 1000-1100 in last couple of months. even tho they can usually go higher than that, with little patience you you can get one for that money. needless to say - a great deal.

Good info, thanks. :thu:

• Members

There's a Lexicon PCM90 for $700 on HC-Classifieds right now:

Yamaha/Lexicon/Tascam

Asking Price: US$N/A

Condition: Excellent

Description:

All gear original owner, excellent condition, manuals,smoke free studio:

(1)Yamaha 02R DigitalV2 Console-Has two (2) Dual Slot analog i/o boards installed to give you the full 40 balanced inputs and 16 assignable outputs! (these boards collectively cost $1,600 new)Also has the $1,200 meter bridge. 24 bit record mode. Two independant SPX 1000 fX processors, full automation, scene memory, motorized faders, simple to use. Great for live or recording. Version 2 software.All faders work perfectly.$1,750 OBO

(2)Lexicon PCM90-Excellent sounding single space professional reverb unit. Low noise. Rich and warm with lots of depth. Sounds better than a plug in! Cost $3,000 new, sacrifice for $700 firm.

(3)Tascam DA38-8 track High-8 DAT recorder. With three D-sub harnesses,and 5 preformatted new blank tapes and cleaning tape. Plays any DA series tapes with 16 bit/44.1/48k resolution.Great to have around in an emergency or client who brings in older format. Good working conditon, recently bench checked. No manual.$150 WOW!

(4)3 Alesis Nanoverbs in 1 single space chasis.

Save your computer's processor strain!Have 3 independant reverbs running. Okay, its not a Lexicon 960 but the rooms and rotary patches are very cool and quiet. Delays, halls,plates all with adjustable decay times. Will only sell as package.$120 includes the rack mount bracket, all 3 power supplies and manual.Like new!

Prices do not include shipping.NO TRADES. prepay or Paypal

Seller: keith barnhart, 770-650-5959

E-mail: themusicplex (Profile)

Post Date: 11/8/2005

• Members

+1 for the Rumour. As far as I know, the reverbs are identical to the Kurzweil high end KDFX - although I don't have a KDFX so I can't vouch for that. I do have a Rumour, and it is wonderful. It replaced my MPX1 (which you could also consider), but with a much nicer interface.

-Ron.

• Members

Originally posted by program_insect

I'm confused. what is so awesome about some of these reverbs that make them cost that much? I can pick up a low-end multifx for about $200 and it sounds pretty good. Are these other boxes really 10 times better?

much more than 10x better. The problem with convincing people of that is that you can't even hear the best ones. Which is precisely what makes them so great.

• Members

Lexicon MX-200 ?? Don't own one. The reviews and specs look good, and you get a hardware unit AND VSTi with it! Okay, let's duck and prepare to hear from the "you get what you pay for" crowd!

I'm looking down the road at an ION and MX200 to process it through. I've always heard great things from Lexicon reverbs in the past. Just trying to help

:D:thu::wave:

• Members

I forgot...you might also wish to consider a Sony DPS-V77 (used). Also consider a t.c. M-One XL (has M3K algos).

As to why these boxes cost what they do...demand and availability, simple as that.

Nothing else sounds like they do, and nothing else has their algorithms, and there is no way to have their full function and sound character any other way.

As for the suggestions, make sure you know what kind of reverb tone you want before buying. t.c. electronic might be the right thing, or perhaps Lexicon, or perhaps something else.

It is also nice that many of the boxes in this price segment have dual engines, so you can either have 2 fx, or two verbs, or a single verb with extra sauce. ;)

cheers,

Ian

• Members

The Lexicons below the MPX 1 (i.e. 100, 110, 200, 500, etc.) aren't nearly as good. They might as well be made by Digitech or something.

I can pick up a low-end multifx for about $200 and it sounds pretty good. Are these other boxes really 10 times better?

New, cheap reverb: "Man, this reverb sounds pretty good!"

Expensive reverb: "How come my reverb isn't working? Wait a sec-- Didn't we record these drums in a smaller room?"

• Members

What we need is a "reverb demos" thread (sticky, of course), like Cluster's synth demos page.

Now who aeon would be aeon the most appropriate poster aeon to create this thread aeon...... :D

Maybe there's already one of these in one of the recording forums. Just a thought.

Archived