The Best Synth Interface

Tusks

• Members

What's your favorite synth interface? What about it "worked" for you? Was it perhaps a simple monosynth that allowed you get immediate access to sounds? Or was it perhaps a MIDI-ed monster with two keyboards, 3 knob banks, and some unusual controllers tacked on? Or was it something else? What was unique about it?

How did the interface reconcile immediacy with depth - for you? What kinds of articulations/gestures did it make possible?

Thanks for sharing,

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by xavios

...but the oscillator section controls annoy me.

I hated the {censored} out of it to. But it grows on you. Now I love it and think the whole nova/supernova2 interface is ingenious :o

very easy to do things that normaly take a lot of time.

• Members

Nord Lead 3 - Blows all the others out of the water,

Asssigning mod sources and destionation and haveing all the amounts lite up on each dial is a Breaze ! - puch and hold the source, twist the destinaion dial and watch the increase in leds on the dial,

the pitch bender stick is very organinc -

the 'programing ' of new sounds is a so obvious and simple yet dense and exciting too

Love this synth for making sounds - just wish the A6 had this simp-licity !

Beer

• Members

WYSIWYG, immediacy is my main aim ...

Gear that has drastically improved workflow:

Elektron Machinedrum for beats & pieces

Clavia Nord Lead 2x for digital goodness

Roland Fantom FA-76 for rompler purposes

Sequencing with MD & Fantom (synced with Fantom as master)

• Members

Originally posted by The Audacity Works

For how deep it is, V-Synth. Extremely easy to get around. It just
begs
you to mess with stuff.

+1000

I just wish it had more memory and more polyphony.

One thing I've got into is sampling solo choirboy phrases and then messing around with variphrase and playing the keyboard to get it coming back as a full on choir in sync with one another... talk about an idea machine.. this thing rocks.

• Members

Kewl. Keep it coming. :)

What's so funny about the Novation oscillator section? What does it let you do, and not do?

The only thing I have against the NL3 is that they didn't put a delay on it. Sure you can buy pristine outboard efx, but for live use, mid-ing up and controlling an external processor is convoluted. Apart from that it butters my toast. YMMV.

Agree that having a 100% sweet spot (as in the Mini) is the ideal. I do think the NL3 comes very close to that. The original NL was closer to my ears.

But is the Mini an ideal because it defined the instrument? Or to put it another way, what are the interface features that we added post Mini that people would consider a necessity in a modern synth? I would say velocity sensitivity and aftertouch are the big two.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by Tusks

Kewl. Keep it coming.
:)

The only thing I have against the NL3 is that they didn't put a delay on it. Sure you can buy pristine outboard efx, but for live use, mid-ing up and controlling an external processor is convoluted. Apart from that it butters my toast. YMMV.

Line 6 DL 4 -> tempo tap

Sweet as pie & easy as hell :)

• Members

I really like the Q keyboard interface. It's the best blend of deep arquitecture with intuitive and fast interface (in my opinion that is).

Elektron has the most intuitive sequencers.

Mono analogs for that 1 on 1 intimacy.

I'd love to try a v-synth one of these days....

• Members

Originally posted by Beermaster

Nord Lead 3 - Blows all the others out of the water,

Asssigning mod sources and destionation and haveing all the amounts lite up on each dial is a Breaze ! - puch and hold the source, twist the destinaion dial and watch the increase in leds on the dial,

the pitch bender stick is very organinc -

the 'programing ' of new sounds is a so obvious and simple yet dense and exciting too

Love this synth for making sounds - just wish the A6 had this simp-licity !

Beer

Couldn't agree more on all the above points. Its a joy to program!

Though the NL3 isn't the best-sounding synth in my arsenal, its not too shabby ;)

Archived