How do you maintain your keyboard?

keyman_sam

• Members

I let the dust build up on mine until I can't feel the keys anymore, then I wipe it off. :o

Seriously, I think the main thing to do is keep it clean. Someone more dedicated than me would probably cover it when not in use, wipe it down regularly, and every now and then go over the hard to reach places witha q-tip or something.

I usually put a little mild cleaner on the cloth, but most people would probably say not to do that

• Members

what is a good thing to do...especially if your keyboard is in the same place for 70%+ of its time...is to keep an aircan or two around as well as a cloth and bottle of spray (water)...then every once in a while when it comes to mind...give it a little air dusting, damp wipedown,and one more air dusting...

• Members

I use alcohol and a soft cloth to clean all the flat surfaces, the keys and under the keys. I hate to see finger smudge on my keybaord and on the display.

I also try to cover it up whenever I am not using it but not all the time. I have never vacuum the inside where i am sure dust must have gotten but maybe will at some point.

• Members

Originally posted by skyyder

I use alcohol and a soft cloth to clean all the flat surfaces, the keys and under the keys. I hate to see finger smudge on my keybaord and on the display.

I also try to cover it up whenever I am not using it but not all the time. I have never vacuum the inside where i am sure dust must have gotten but maybe will at some point.

yeah covering up is good...my friend does that for his Keystation 88...nice black leather piece to cover the entire keyboard stand

• Members

I have a neat little soft dusting brush (readily available) that fits on my vacuum cleaner. I dust the keyboard once a week and have been doing this for years with no ill effects. About one a year I take it apart and clean out any dust that can't be vacuumed. I do the same with the computer and anything plastic since it's the only way to pick up dust without generating static electricity. (Well, there's some due to the velocity of the air but it's minimal).

Bryan

• Members

Keyboards don't really need that much TLC. I occasionally swab mine down with a damp paper towel if needed, maybe once a year or something. They develop a bit of muck over time, but these are pro keyboards designed for heavy use and so they don't really need to be babied every day or even every week. I've followed this notion for over 20 years with no problems. No need to over-analyze your gear maintenance proposition.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Them stretch on keyboard covers (cover your axe brand for example) to keep dust ect out when gigging can help a lot during moves and on dirty stages ect. Just remove shortly before ready to start. Also for at home if not playing for a coupe days or more as dust covers. Regular dusting with feather duster. And as needed soft lightly damp cloth to clean keys. Air can can also be useful.

• Members

I service all of my Keyboards periodically (Rhodes, and Combo Organs). With the Rhodes, I disassemble the entire keyboard, give everything a thorough cleaning, and shining if necessary, I spray all the joints and felt pads on the hammers bottoms and key butts with Silicon Lubricant (I also replace any overly worn ones), replace any grooved damaged hammers and damper pads, I then reassemble the entire unit, and give it a thorough retuning.

For my Combo Organs, I clean and polish the exterior, wipe it with plastic protectant type liquid, then if I can, I open the unit up, clean the contacts, check for bung caps, resistors and transistors, replace if necessary, I clean all the contacts and retune any oscillators that may have drifted.

And that's how I care for my Keyboards on a semi-yearly basis.

• Members

Coming from the Rhodes/Wurly/Hammond generation I was into maintenance & repair from the beginning. In addition my experience with techs has been almost universally negative. When I buy an older board(saves BIG money) I open it up for a super clean, you find some interesting/terrifying stuff. Coins, paper clips, cat hair and of course long dried beer. You might mess something up if your not careful, but you will learn and be the better for it.

Archived