new tune, harmony central 'theme'

Trillian

• Members

OK, here's a new one from me. Some time ago I had the idea of doing a sort of 'them song' for HC. I mentioned the idea to Dave who said (as expected) that they may not know what to do with a theme song for HC but what the heck.

So I did one, knowing full well that it is likely no one at HC HQ will be interested in doing anything with it. Worst-case it was a fun exercise for me and I like it myself.

I heard it had been passed on to Mr Anderton but have not heard anything more (he probably hates it :).

So, I don't see any reason not to post it here. I wanted to do a big bombastic rock tune because it is meant to reflect the rest of HC and not only KSS.

So, here it is; http://zenradar.com/MP3/harmonycentral.m3u (streaming version)

If you do not have a fast enough connection to stream it you can download it here; http://zenradar.com/MP3/harmonycentral.mp3

-Sheryl

• Members

Someone should do a real guitar though.

Totally appropriate in the KSS section, though. :) I like that song! The style reminds me of some old Beatles music.

Did you sing all the vocals? Lots of layers - you could probably do some decent Enya impersonations, if you were so inclined. :D Can you tell us how you recorded/layered the vocals and what instruments that you used?

• Members

Originally posted by Purity_Control

Hehe you are really Lene Lovich in disguise:D

I've been depressed all day but that really cheered us up.

Nice one!

Hi Purity,

I'm so glad it cheered you up, that's really great to hear, thanks very much :) I get depressed a bit now and then and I hate feeling that way.

Take care,

Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Conway

Totally appropriate in the KSS section, though.
:)
I like that song! The style reminds me of some old Beatles music.

Did you sing all the vocals? Lots of layers - you could probably do some decent Enya impersonations, if you were so inclined.
:D
Can you tell us how you recorded/layered the vocals and what instruments that you used?

Hi Mike thanks very much!

I did do all the vocals and tried to do a few different inflections with the lead parts to make them sound like different singers or at least slightly different vibes.

Everything was recorded in Acid 3. The harmony vocals were done in layers of five parts. I did two takes of each part and then did a whole other set of takes of the same parts so that if you pan them out you get a big stereo effect. (so the main harmony is a total of 20 voices, two sets of five parts with each part double-tracked)

I also did one set of very high ones in 3 parts with two takes per part which I used now and then mixed way back. The 'answer' harmony parts and the 'oohs and ahhs' are, I think, just three parts, nothing elaborate.

I had to render down the two big vocal stacks and bring them back in as stereo tracks in order to get Acid to play it all at once.

The electric piano, bass, strings, lead, guitar and pipe organ sounds are just the Korg Z-1. I also used various sound effects from previous programming sessions and the big hit sound I borrowed from one of my own songs.

-Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by Trillian

I heard it had been passed on to Mr Anderton but have not heard anything more (he probably hates it
:)

I doubt that. It's a lovely piece of work!

I haven't spoken to Craig since I forwarded it to him, but I'm sure he liked it...

You've pretty much nailed the issue in your first post though...what can HC do with it? If we could hit them with a good suggestion, it'd make it easier to pitch...

dB

• Members

i think it would be cool if we had someone, most likely from the Guitar Forums, contribute a shredding guitar solo.

and maybe could even extend the invitation to the Bass and Drums forums and have people contribute tracks in order to give a more live and organic feel. that is, if they can communicate intelligibly (j/k :p )

• Members

Thanks everyone very much for your comments! I really didn't know if it would get a positive response or not.

I had thought of the idea of having some other people play on it and I would be happy to supply 'music minus one' type tracks to dub a part onto and then I could fly it in to the final mix here. However, at this point it would be an exercise without a definite purpose, so we shall see.

Many thanks,

Sheryl

• Members

Originally posted by Trillian

I wanted to do a big bombastic rock tune because it is meant to reflect the rest of HC and not only KSS.

...and it is good you posted it here! The song is very good, and the idea of 'them song' for HC is brilliant. Which other forum got one? Heh, i think we can expect others to steal this idea, sooner or later. :)

Good work! :thu:

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by daFunkyUnit

i think it would be cool if we had someone, most likely from the Guitar Forums, contribute a shredding guitar solo.

and maybe could even extend the invitation to the Bass and Drums forums and have people contribute tracks in order to give a more live and organic feel. that is, if they can communicate intelligibly (j/k
:p
)

Good idea.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Bryce

I doubt that. It's a lovely piece of work!

I haven't spoken to Craig since I forwarded it to him, but I'm sure he liked it...

You've pretty much nailed the issue in your first post though...what can HC do with it? If we could hit them with a good suggestion, it'd make it easier to pitch...

dB

Thanks Dave (and everyone else for your comments as well). I suppose I am not always as self-confident as I could be :)

-Sheryl

Archived