Lessons or No Lessons?!?

PastorJeff

• Members

I am an average player, I know A,B,C,D,E, and G chords and many others (F still hurts my hand...:( ). I have really good strumming technique, and the Praise and Worship songs are sounding quite good...but I want to be great! I put in about 1-2 hours practice minimum, more if I can.

I want to be able to play lead guitar and to be able to play for the church...should I be taking lessons?!?

I want to get really good at fingerpicking too...(Eric Clapton - No more tears in heaven for example)

What is your advice?!? Should I sign up for lessons?!?

Thanks for your help!

Jeffrey

• Members

Lessons can go either way. I had lessons when I started. Started with one teacher and he wasn't so hot, and switched to another that was great. They both played well, but didn't both teach well if you catch my meaning. I stopped because I was in an auto accident and by the time I recovered my teacher moved away.

Now I'm in the position that I've been playing 5 years (does it sound like it? depends on who you ask) and I'd like more lessons to get better, but I live in such a remote area that finding a teacher is hard, and coming up with the money is just as hard.

I'd say if you can afford it, go with lessons for a bit, see how it goes. If it isn't all it's cracked up to be, you might do just as well using books and instructional videos/dvds. I'm thinking about getting some videos for myself right now, so if anyone reading this has some suggestions, let me hear them.

• Members

If you are the type who is agressive enough and disciplined enough to stick with something WITHOUT someone standing over yoyu then may i suggest any one of several available online tutorials/lessons. If you need alot of structured tidbit size tutoring then forget it and get a teacher. And dont think for a second that taking lessons is some kind of hangup for people who cant learn on their own. Ive been teaching for ages off and on and still take lessons now and then. :)

But its a fact that alot of guys download things expecting to learn a TRICK or SHORTCUT and bang! They immediately will become a lead player.

Doesnt work that way....

First, to play lead of any kind you are limited by what your ears can identify and what your fangers can reproduce on the neck. That takes months to years to lifetimes...

So the trick (if there is one) is to train your ears to identify what they hear and translate it to something you pick up in lessons. Mostly , that meand chords, scales, and technique.

See, a solo is just a bunch of partial scales from some key signature with some bends and partial chords thrown in. So you train yourself to know them by their sound when you teach yourself (or take lessons for) all of the above. Same thing with the theory thang. Its not about being an egghead or some jazz cat with monster chops. Theory is nothing more than the minds explanation/translation of what the ears hear. This cant happen until the mind understands enough things like scales or chpords to identify them when heard.

People been doing this through lessons and copying other peoples songs off records for ages. Its all part of a long term mental development of building up licks and sound recognition through repetition.

So definitely go out and audition SEVERAl teachers/instructors and take lessons from as many as you can to find the right chemistry. There isnt much worse then a bad combination of teacher/student and ther aint much better then the right combination of the two.

Archived