Guitar pro - best answer for simple play-along MIDI?

joegrant413

• Members

I've been looking for something that will:

- Find reasonably accurate versions of songs.

- Allow for me to play along with those songs, (leaving the lead guitar part out for me, that is.)

- Doesn't cost a lot of cash.

- Bonus: Show me the tabs to learn the lead guitar parts.

Well, hey, thanks to someone on this forum, I've trying out Guitar Pro. Between Guitar Pro and the mysongbook.com tabs done by users of this software, I have all of this, in a package that looks pretty usable. I think it sells for $50 or so.

Are there other alternatives I should check out before buying this?

Thanks, folks!

-- Joe

• Members

Guitar Pro is free basically. The demo version is basically the full version, and it never expires. Only thing you cant do is print off the tabs. And DONT download that RSE version, it 200mb of pure crap. You can also download the full version free off Limewire if a little internet piracy doesnt bother you :p

• Members

A "friend" told me that if you search for Guitar Pro on eMule, you can find a certain file that contains Guitar Pro and 36,000 tabs that cover anything you can imagine. "He" has never seen such a complete, accurate collection of tabs in one place before.. All have bass, drums, everything.. I, err I mean "He" also found one with 12,000 tabs for Powertab.. eMule is your friend!

• Members

Well, I'm checking out the trial version, and so far I'm pretty impressed.

The only feature I don't see that I'd like is to export the playing of the score into an MP3. But I have some software to convert MIDI files.

I haven't heard anyone chime in with a recommendation for other software, so this is probably going to be the one I'll buy.

Thanks!

-- Joe

• Members

as far as I know there is only guitar pro and power tab. Powertab is free but it's ass backwards in how it works.

Like someone else said gp5 with RSE is kinda sucky. The simulated sounds can sometimes sound good but most often they dont. And I have experience sync issues while using RSE so I usually change it all back to midi anyway.

BUT list most guitar pro, you need the most updated version to play all the files you can usually download. So way the pro's and cons on that one.

anyway, visit www.mysongbook.com for tons of tabs

• Members

Thats true, But I'm pretty sure that's the biggest site around. Though, I have noticed places like ultimate guitar have alot of links to gp's now.

Also as far as the ram thing is concerned, I have 2gigs so I dont think so. I think it's just a problem when you use midi on some tracks and RSE on the others the midi tracks are in sync and the RSE tracks are in sync, but they arent in sync together. Dont ask me.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just wanted to say that I've bought and have been using Guitar Pro.

I'm very happy with it. Lots of very good ways to learn phrases, and plenty of songs on mysongbook.com to play along with it.

My only major beef is that the software is buggy. I can't play the score in 'RSE' without crashing most times. And I can't export files to MP3 without crashing. But I can live without these features.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

-- Joe

• Members

No problem for me, but when I switch to midi the sound is incredible worse. Could be my soundcard.

The speed trainer is a awesome function: Select a section, then select loop -> start speed and increment and go. Wow!

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

A "friend" told me that if you search for Guitar Pro on eMule, you can find a certain file that contains Guitar Pro and 36,000 tabs that cover anything you can imagine. "He" has never seen such a complete, accurate collection of tabs in one place before.. All have bass, drums, everything.. I, err I mean "He" also found one with 12,000 tabs for Powertab.. eMule is your friend!

you can find on eMule archive from Jan 2006 with 55.924 tabs. It's the most complete version you can find. It's about 116mb big and when you extract it, it's over 1.2 gb big :eek:.

• Members

If I can ask a question in this thread, I got and installed GP but didn't install the RSE option. I'd like to try it now with it. Is there a way to get it going with out installing and reinstalling the program?

And thanks for the advice on getting it! Sweet way to learn songs! (I got the 26,000 tab set...wish I had realized there was a newer one!)

L8R

Raths

• Members

Anybody tried using a half-decent midi soundcard with Guitar Pro?

I was thinking of purchasing one and then using it to make backing tracks from the Guitar Pro exported midi files, as well as being able to play along to much better tabs within Guitar Pro.

Trouble is I havent got a clue about what midi cards would be suitable...

• Members

Originally posted by Moggo

Anybody tried using a half-decent midi soundcard with Guitar Pro?

I was thinking of purchasing one and then using it to make backing tracks from the Guitar Pro exported midi files, as well as being able to play along to much better tabs within Guitar Pro.

Trouble is I havent got a clue about what midi cards would be suitable...

+1 I got the RMS to work and it sounds OK. Better than the MIDI, but not the greatest. I'd like to hear input on some sound cards in the

L8R

Raths

Archived