/, slide up, 9/10

p, pulloff, 6p5

h, hammer, 3h4

b, bend, 10b12

r, release, not sure what this means

v, vibrato, 6v

These are the basics.

To start the discussion, can you do this:

5h3 or would this be better expressed as 5p3, or 5r3.

I'll be playing the 5 note, and do a ghost note, for lack of a better description, where I lift the 5 off and touch the 3 note with another finger, but not quite play it. It does get sounded out, but sort of as a hammer of the finger without the pick doing the plucking.

Which would be correct?

I've also found other oddities, like b12r10. This would be bending the 10th fret note up to a 12th fret pitch, hitting the note as already bent, and unbending down to the 10th fret which would be simply a 10 but not plucked.

Am I on the right track here?

Is TAB lacking?

• Members

Slight threadjack - sorry.

Does anyone know of a good site where one can buy quality PDF versions of tabbed and chorded sheet music online? I see free tab sites getting whacked by ASCAP and others, and I'm all about copyright protection, but I hate having to buy entire bound songbooks just to get one or two songs that I want to learn.

Thanks

• Members

Hey Eracer,

I think this is thread where I saw this question, but you didn't start another thread on this topic, did you?

Anyways, yeah, I was looking into the same thing because I was getting slammed on songbooks too (and let's be honest, a good deal of the "homemade" tab out there is pretty messed up). The one major site I found was www.musicnotes.com. They have a variety of options and prices (around 4.95 for just the tab, and 6.95 or so for a more involved lesson). They seem to have most of (I think) the Hal Leonard stable, so you've got Zep, the Beatles, the Stones, yadda yadda. However, a few big acts are missing. They don't have AC/DC though. Wish it was a little cheaper, but it's probably about right for printed music (I don't really have a place around here that sells individual sheet music, so I don't know how competitive it is). Hope this helps.

• Members

No I didn't start another thread on this topic. Thanks much for the info. You're right, $6.95 is pretty steep. I was hoping for something more along the line of $2.95.

You know, asking $6.95 for a piece of sheet music is just greedy. Of coursde, asking $13.95 for a CD is pretty greedy as well, and I've paid that a bunch of times.

• Members

OK, most of us know the notation:

, slide down, 75

/, slide up, 9/10

p, pulloff, 6p5

h, hammer, 3h4

b, bend, 10b12

r, release,
not sure what this means

v, vibrato, 6v

These are the basics.

To start the discussion, can you do this:

5h3 or would this be better expressed as 5p3, or 5r3.

I'll be playing the 5 note, and do a ghost note, for lack of a better description, where I lift the 5 off and touch the 3 note with another finger, but not quite play it. It does get sounded out, but sort of as a hammer of the finger without the pick doing the plucking.

Which would be correct?

I've also found other oddities, like b12r10. This would be bending the 10th fret note up to a 12th fret pitch, hitting the note as already bent, and unbending down to the 10th fret which would be simply a 10 but not plucked.

Am I on the right track here?

Is TAB lacking?

Tab can't possibly describe playing guitar at musical resolutions so, yeah.

As to the ambiguity, You can quite easily tap/hammer descending.

[b12r10] could indicate bending 12 and releasing in a pull to 10.

There is no right and wrong, just aesthetics.

The standard notation component can however provide the deciding information. Also many of these devices are old cliches and your ear will often be the guide.

• Members

Hi -
I , as I'm sure many others, initially started playing guitar and using tab as an aide (Hell, it was hard enough just trying to learn the 15 starting chords - - - never mind trying to read along with it). But as time went on, use the associated notation and time signature to get the song down - - - not to mention the obvious practice of listening to the piece being studied. Additionally, I've found some tab to be downright "incorrect" as far as fingering the pparticular notes or location of playability on the fretboard. This leads to the next issue of learning the fretboard of neck and all this stuff falls into its respective place as time (and efficient/sufficient practice) progresses. I guess what I'm saying is to look at tab as a form of shorthand; but for the subtle nuances of the tune ya really need to listen and just play along. I've heard and read thi scountless times from way too many players that the days of the ol' portable phonograph, sitting down in front of that crappy ol' 3 inch speaker and re-playing a '45rpm over and over and over until [he/she] "got it" was one of the key elements to making them a better player. Conversely, we have today (modern tech) so many means and ways to make it "easier" for us to "learn" it's almost too confusing. So take tab for what it's worth, but don't rely on it too much. Oh yeah - - - and definitely Jam?Comp with other players (This alone with greatly enhance your ability to play on several levels)!!

Good Luck,

GenoD55

• Members

... Additionally, I've found some tab to be downright "incorrect" as far as fingering the pparticular notes or location of playability on the fretboard. This leads to the next issue of learning the fretboard of neck and all this stuff falls into its respective place as time (and efficient/sufficient practice) progresses. I guess what I'm saying is to look at tab as a form of shorthand; but for the subtle nuances of the tune ya really need to listen and just play along.

GenoD55

I agree. A lot of tab is incorrect and you really need to figure out those intricate parts on your own. When I started learning Iron Maiden in the late 80's, tab was much less readily available (no internet) so I was forced to learn much my ear. My point is I hope everyone who uses tab also tries to learn some songs by ear. It's a skill which everyone should know.

• Members

yeah I defintely see tabs as sort of a "starting point," or actually now more of a "I'll just have a look to see if I'm on the right track" kinda thing. I find quite often that I'll figure something out by ear (which is how I do it more often then not now) and then when I check the tab I'll find I've got it right, but I'm playing it at a different spot on the fretboard than the tab and that playing it according to the tab doesn't sound as correct. Sometimes I find the tab just plain wrong. WHen you're dealing with user submitted tabs on the net you never really know what you're getting. I've seen lots that appeared to be created by 14 year olds who had been playing about 3 months.

Archived