Back for More - Another Video Lesson Critique

First off, if this is annoying that I am posting this, please let me know and I won't do it anymore....this will probably be the last request like this anyway, but I don't want make people think that I am spamming you....I really enjoy the forums and don't want to upset anyone...

I tried to do something a little more complicated this week with my blog. Instead of just a lick or simple technique lesson I tried to work in a lesson on building simple phrases with Pentatonic scales. Please let me know what you think!

http://blog.markwein.com/

I am working towards opening a full music instructional site next year and I'm trying to develop some of material and get used to filming and editing the video on my own. I will have to upgrade what I am using and be able to edit video (at least be able to show more than my left hand!) and add the notation to the video and all that stuff to be more professional, but I thought I would see how far I could get just using the family video camera and some cheap software first....

Clicked here hoping you were teaching the Ratt song Back for More.

LOL

Sorry 'bout that...I will choose my words more carefully next time! I am a Warren Demartini fan, though...when I was in High School "Invasion of your Privacy" was one of the big albums and playing "Lay it Down" with the wide left hand stretches in the intro was a test of manhood for all of my friends...

Thanks everyone for the kind words...I am having a lot of fun doing the lessons. I probably will go "Video-less" next week and write one of my normal blog entries...I was afraid that people would think I was being obnoxious by posting about the blog in here, but it seems to be OK... I might just post when I do the Video lessons....probably 2-3 times a month....

Thanks again guys!

Cool lesson. I liked the bit at the end too about the chord tones. I've been trying to work on that. Breaking out of the box, you know?

Thanks! I'll probably be expanding on those ideas next month...I'm trying to go gradually with the bigger ideas and I need to work through some things like chord construction and basic fretboard knowledge before I can get to that...something that might help without getting too far afield from this subject is this:

http://www.markwein.com/PDF/Minor%20Pentatonic%20Lesson%202%20-%20Expanded%20Home%20Position.pdf

or this:

http://www.markwein.com/PDF/MajorPentScale32.pdf

Nothing on chord tones, but they get you moving through the box positions a little more....

• Members

Thanks! I'll probably be expanding on those ideas next month...I'm trying to go gradually with the bigger ideas and I need to work through some things like chord construction and basic fretboard knowledge before I can get to that...something that might help without getting too far afield from this subject is this:

http://www.markwein.com/PDF/Minor%20Pentatonic%20Lesson%202%20-%20Expanded%20Home%20Position.pdf

or this:

http://www.markwein.com/PDF/MajorPentScale32.pdf

Nothing on chord tones, but they get you moving through the box positions a little more....

Hey thanks. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. I know the two basic "runs" but I have trouble spicing those up.

The one thing I still don't get though is how guys will be playing up around the 5th fret then end up down on the 11/12/13th frets and make it sound seemless.

My guitar teacher had been working with me(before I had to quit lessons) on using 3rds or 6ths diads to get up and down. It's an interesting way to do it, but the thing I really want to figure out is what I mentioned above.

I've also been trying to incorporate arpeggios to try and spice things up a little as well. I've found that it's another good way to get up and down the neck without playing full on scales.

I guess in short, the problem that I'm having is getting up and down the neck and making it sound not so "boxy"

That's part of what I really like about that lesson. Use less notes to get the point across better. Thanks again :)

• Members

Haha. I just noticed you're other blog article "I am not a Jeff Beck fan"

Nor am I. He just doesn't do it for me. I know he's a great guitarist and all, but there's not much there that I enjoy. Mayfield had more soul in his pinky than Beck does in his whole body. With that said, that cover wasn't too bad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ztKnb0O8bac

I'll take this version anyday. ;)

Hey thanks. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. I know the two basic "runs" but I have trouble spicing those up.

The one thing I still don't get though is how guys will be playing up around the 5th fret then end up down on the 11/12/13th frets and make it sound seemless.

My guitar teacher had been working with me(before I had to quit lessons) on using 3rds or 6ths diads to get up and down. It's an interesting way to do it, but the thing I really want to figure out is what I mentioned above.

I've also been trying to incorporate arpeggios to try and spice things up a little as well. I've found that it's another good way to get up and down the neck without playing full on scales.

I guess in short, the problem that I'm having is getting up and down the neck and making it sound not so "boxy"

That's part of what I really like about that lesson. Use less notes to get the point across better. Thanks again
:)

I think that a big part of what you are asking is the idea that your 5 "boxes" or patterns should eventually turn into one "big box"....no boundaries. Sometime I have students thinking that they know the whole neck in one scale or another, but they aren't able to connect the patterns, so it is almost like they have to know 5 different scales. There is an excellent book that I use with my students to help them out of this problem (it's a starting point, but not the whole solution) called Guitar Fretboard Workbook by Barrett Tagliarino:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Fretboard-Workbook-Barrett-Tagliarino/dp/0634049011/ref=sr_1_3/103-1140634-9985443?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188397462&sr=8-3

Once you have been working this ideas in this book, it helps to learn a few solos from your favorite artist (a non guitar player would be a plus) and try to move the ideas around not as "licks" or physical patterns but as each note being a "scale degree"...the idea is to get you playing something that is more pure melody and less "rote guitar lick"....it's kind of too much to describe in a post like this without being able to demonstrate, but I hope that I can at least start you on the right path...

as I was getting the URL for the fretboard book I ran across a new book by this guy...I haven't seen it yet, but I am going to order since it looks really good and seems to address your issue really well:

http://www.amazon.com/Chord-Tone-Soloing-Guitarists-Improvising/dp/0634083651/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1140634-9985443?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188397462&sr=8-1

Haha. I just noticed you're other blog article "I am not a Jeff Beck fan"

Nor am I. He just doesn't do it for me. I know he's a great guitarist and all, but there's not much there that I enjoy. Mayfield had more soul in his pinky than Beck does in his whole body. With that said, that cover wasn't too bad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ztKnb0O8bac

I'll take this version anyday.
;)

This really is a beautiful version.....

EDIT: as I was checking out your link I ran across this one :http://youtube.com/watch?v=VQqTxK7VhSk&mode=related&search=

I think that Curtis Mayfield's playing on this is pretty cool....almost looks like David Lindley in the background....I'm going to get no work done this morning if this keeps up!

• Members

I think that a big part of what you are asking is the idea that your 5 "boxes" or patterns should eventually turn into one "big box"....no boundaries. Sometime I have students thinking that they know the whole neck in one scale or another, but they aren't able to connect the patterns, so it is almost like they have to know 5 different scales. There is an excellent book that I use with my students to help them out of this problem (it's a starting point, but not the whole solution) called Guitar Fretboard Workbook by Barrett Tagliarino:

Once you have been working this ideas in this book, it helps to learn a few solos from your favorite artist (a non guitar player would be a plus) and try to move the ideas around not as "licks" or physical patterns but as each note being a "scale degree"...the idea is to get you playing something that is more pure melody and less "rote guitar lick"....it's kind of too much to describe in a post like this without being able to demonstrate, but I hope that I can at least start you on the right path...

as I was getting the URL for the fretboard book I ran across a new book by this guy...I haven't seen it yet, but I am going to order since it looks really good and seems to address your issue really well:

Thanks Mark. Yeah, I've got the GFW and I've read it but haven't done the exercises because I need to photocopy those pages so I can do the repetitively.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe a Coltrane lick or something and try and do it intervocalicly? Is that what you mean?

That other book looks really interesting. I'm going to add it to my cart for my next order.

Thanks Mark. Yeah, I've got the GFW and I've read it but haven't done the exercises because I need to photocopy those pages so I can do the repetitively.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe a Coltrane lick or something and try and do it intervocalicly? Is that what you mean?

That other book looks really interesting. I'm going to add it to my cart for my next order.

I would probably try something a little simpler, but yeah...less Jimmy Page and more horn-like (not that there is anything wrong with Jimmy Page!)

• Members
I would probably try something a little simpler, but yeah...less Jimmy Page and more horn-like (not that there is anything wrong with Jimmy Page!)

Have I mentioned that I am absolutely HORRIBLE at transcribing things. :mad:

That's why I'm working on theory right now because hopefully once I get a little more intervallic study and ear training under my belt, that will improve.

It's too bad you're in Orange, that's just a bit too far for me to travel for lessons. I used to work right off of Chapman years ago, so I know what a bitch that drive can be.

• Members
Have I mentioned that I am absolutely HORRIBLE at transcribing things.
:mad:

That's why I'm working on theory right now because hopefully once I get a little more intervallic study and ear training under my belt, that will improve.

It's too bad you're in Orange, that's just a bit too far for me to travel for lessons. I used to work right off of Chapman years ago, so I know what a bitch that drive can be.

:thu::thu: This is exactly why I started taking lessons and am trying to improve my understanding of theory, intervals, transposing and being able to pull chord tones during a progression.

And I'm lucky enough to work in the general vicinity of Mark's studio! Good stuff!

Have I mentioned that I am absolutely HORRIBLE at transcribing things.
:mad:

Where are you coming from? Everywhere is a bitch around here...I am lucky that I live and work in Orange...I would go crazy if I had to drive freeways to work every day...my wife works in Fountain Valley, which isn't too far but some days even that is a nightmare!

The distance issue is too bad...I have an instructor teaching an 8 week transcription class starting next month...

have you listened to much Carl Verheyen for the intervallic stuff? I have a handout from a clinic he gave at USC several years (maybe more than that) ago....if I can find it maybe I can scan it and send it to you.....

• Members

La Verne. Off the 210. By Glendora, Claremont and Pomona.

It's about a 30/35 minute drive by way of the 57. Really though it's the traffic.

I would love to take that course as that is exactly what I need to work on

No I haven't actually. That would be great if you could. :thu:

Thanks again Mark,

Tim

Great videos, great blog! I just read the whole first page and there's some really useful stuff in there.

Good luck with the full blown site, although you clearly don't need it!

Thanks! The response here has been really nice, so I'll probably just post as I add to the blog....

• Members

Where are you coming from? Everywhere is a bitch around here...I am lucky that I live and work in Orange...I would go crazy if I had to drive freeways to work every day...my wife works in Fountain Valley, which isn't too far but some days even that is a nightmare!

The distance issue is too bad...I have an instructor teaching an 8 week transcription class starting next month...

have you listened to much Carl Verheyen for the intervallic stuff? I have a handout from a clinic he gave at USC several years (maybe more than that) ago....if I can find it maybe I can scan it and send it to you.....

For 8 weeks I might be able to swing it. What days? Times?

• Members

:thu:
:thu: This is exactly why I started taking lessons and am trying to improve my understanding of theory, intervals, transposing and being able to pull chord tones during a progression.

And I'm lucky enough to work in the general vicinity of Mark's studio! Good stuff!

So are you taking lessons from Mark, Puckman, or somewhere else? I've got a pretty good studio/shop where I was taking lessons before "The Fret House" but I had to quit because I was taking night classes(school).

It was helping, but I wish my teacher would have explained more about what this is used for, and how it's useful instead of just play this. That's partly my fault. I need to be a little more proactive, and less intimidated when it comes to taking lessons. Plus a half an hour isn't really enough time, but 160 bucks(4 hour lessons) a month is a pretty good chunk of change just for lessons.

Archived