help, i want to improvise better and develop originality...

lpstudio86

• Members

all i know are blues scales, and major scales. i know only learning scales wouldnt be helpful to improvise better. how can i get out of this rut? also do u need to learn all the notes on fretboard? can u learn other theories besides this and still be able to improve? i was thinking of learning other theories then come back to learning the fretboard little by little.

• Members

you know, i used to just play songs i knew, learned the chords, learned the scales, kinda forced my hands where to go. one day, after having played a lot, they started going on their own. i did my best to just let them go without browbeating them. it's hard to find that place with all the distractions and pressures that there are. i find playing around others to be unnerving, since your aims and theirs aren't similar.
that probably isn't very helpful.

• Members

Transcribing always helps me. It makes me realize all the other materials out there that are available rather than pentatonics and major scales like arpeggios, melodic minor scales, diminished whole tone. Or sometimes it makes me realize that using simple materials in new inventive ways is what I need to do. I would try transcribing a solo by a non-guitar player, like Miles or Coltrane. I heard the Allman Brothers used to listen to Miles Kind of Blue album alot. I think non-guitar music can help you break out of a rut.

• Members

In what way? Do you need to know the note names? Probably not - but it helps. Do you need to know how to play a scale all over the fretboard - yes you do...

something leaves a bad taste in my mouth about being able to play a scale all over the fretboard and not knowing the note names or WHY the scale is the scale that it is.

• Members

something leaves a bad taste in my mouth about being able to play a scale all over the fretboard and not knowing the note names or WHY the scale is the scale that it is.

Meh, I can see your point - but ultimatelyit's more important that you can hear what sounds good and know the fretboard well enough to play it. Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, George Lynch, EVH have all written some decent songs and played some decent solo's without knowing what chord tones they're playing etc. etc.

I've found learning the notes names has been beneficial for understanding theory, reading music, finding new chord inversions etc. It helps you learn, but when I'm playing or improvising I don't sit there thinking about what note names I'm playing. Why'd I care so long as I like how it sounds?

• Members

Meh, I can see your point - but ultimatelyit's more important that you can hear what sounds good and know the fretboard well enough to play it. Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, George Lynch, EVH have all written some decent songs and played some decent solo's without knowing what chord tones they're playing etc. etc.

I've found learning the notes names has been beneficial for understanding theory, reading music, finding new chord inversions etc. It helps you learn, but when I'm
playing
or
improvising
I don't sit there thinking about what note names I'm playing. Why'd I care so long as I like how it sounds?

to be honest, i dont think too much about chord tones when i solo either.. depends on the setting really..

i just feel that you learn a scale, but if you knew the notes to the scale, youd understand the scale itself better.. instead of just a "sound" that a scale gets. you actually see why it does that.. and this helps you get DEEPER into the music. also, if you learn a scale, how do you know where it starts and stops if you dont even know the notes of a fretboard? the way you worded made it sound like you didnt need to know the notes on the fretboard to play scales... but i think eventually it would just end up as finger patterns, if you were trying to learn scales without knowing the notes...

im a firm believer that it doesnt take knowledge in music theory to make beautiful music. but i think if you have the potential as a good musician anyways, it will only make you 20 times better.

and you said, "its helpful when learning theory, but when im playing...." well the thing is.. youve already learned those things and internalized them.. there is no need to think about it.. you do have facility over your instrument.. others dont though.. and the best way for them to LEARN to hear that sound, is to study it..

i think a musician could learn a TON from music if they just learned how to construct chords and how they relates melodically.

WHY DONT GUITAR PLAYERS WANT TO LEARN THE NOTES ON THE FRETBOARD!?

• Members

I don't disagree with any of that :thu:

and you said, "its helpful when learning theory, but when im playing...." well the thing is.. youve already learned those things and internalized them.. there is no need to think about it.. you do have facility over your instrument.. others dont though.. and the best way for them to LEARN to hear that sound, is to study it..

I particularly like this bit because for me that's what music theory is about. It's a learning tool... it's about taking a theory/concept and exploring it... then having it open up your ears to a new idea, then internalising it and then eventually not having to think about it too much anymore :)

• Members
I don't disagree with any of that
:thu:

I particularly like this bit because for me that's what music theory is about. It's a learning tool... it's about taking a theory/concept and exploring it... then having it open up your ears to a new idea, then internalising it and then eventually not having to think about it too much anymore
:)

:thu:

yeah.. some things i would have never been able to "hear" without learning it and playing it over and over again.

heh.. {censored}.. sometimes i still guess when im playing.. but thats another element of fun and spontaneity.

Archived