Beginners All-In-One groovebox solution?

• Members

So I've been helping a close friend of mine out, her and her boyfriend write music (she plays drums, he guitar). They've come into my studio a couple times and just messed around, and they loved the idea of having synths and stuff to play with.

They LOVED my MPC2000xl. I think in particular the loved the immediacy and range/fullness you could get with just one instrument. The ability to create whole tracks all with one piece really got them excited, and with them having a band already, they would really be interested in adding that additional element to the whole process.

Problem is the budget. $1000 is like absolute MAX. It would be real hard for them to get even a used MPC2000xl...

I have been trying to help them out but I don't know too much about the whole "groovebox" thing other than the MC505 I used to lust after years ago (pretty lights!). I think I have a couple of things for them to look in to:

Akai MPC1000: Easy to use, great sequencer, similar to the 2kXL, lots of sample space, effects, USB, VERY portable.

EMU Command Station: Built-in synth engine with lots of sounds and patterns, fairly simple interface with lots of creative potential, doesn't seem as easy to use as the MPC though. Seems like more of a complete package, no sampling is a drawback, but at $440, not bad...

Others I know of...

Yamaha RM1x: 16-track midi sequencer with built-in patterns, though outdated sound set, seems like little edit-ability of the sounds too...

Yamaha RS-7000: Seems like a much bigger brother to the RM1x, with sampling, lots of polyphony, nice effects section as well as sound edit-ability... about the same price range as the MPC1k (around $450-600).

My question: is there anything I'm missing? Are there any clear-cut choices as far as a WHOLE solution for song-writing, with a good sound-set (or a highly editable one), with a detailed, simple to use sequencer and interface for around $300-1000(max)? Again, I think a key element would be ease of use, as these will be almost complete beginners (the guy/guitarist has used Acid and some other software, but that's it). Anyone start out in this way and have success with a particular machine? Any stories, suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

I think you would be smart to recommend one with a sampler. This way they could add there own loops and such. The MPC1000 would be a good choice. Korg has the ESX-1, Roland has the MC-808/909.

:wave:

• Members

I used to love the hell out of my Yammy RM1X. So easy to use and I liked the drums in it alot. I never even had the manual and I figured out everything on it in a few days. It takes me weeks to learn the other boxes I've tried. It's sort of Motif-like in the way it works. Only sold it to buy some software and computer stuff. I'll probably get another one........ someday.:(

You can't really go wrong for the price.:idea:

• Members

i sold my MPC-2000xl with factory zip drive and eight outs for $1000, i'm sure you could find one for less. original 2000s are even cheaper. not sure if i'd suggest one though due to memory/storage (not that it ever bothered me really), but installing a flashcard reader in one might not be a bad idea. hell, that sounds great actually. for the money though, a used 1000 should be found for maybe $6-700 which with the new OS is a far more complete machine than even the 2000xl. some things about it though that just don't stand up to the quality of the older MPCs though, it's pretty sad.

then again, they might like something with filters, more fx, or easily accessible pre-loaded sounds. maybe a used MPC and a used synth or sampler totalling ~$1000 would be a good route? if they got a different, cheaper sequencer they'd have more cash to go around. actually, how do they feel about a MachineDrum? :D

• Members

I really think the MPC1000 would be a great choice for them, as they really loved the 2kXL, that, and the 1k is cheaper, comes stock with effects, more memory than the 2kXL, and offers USB transferring, as well as most of the 2kXL features. My only gripe is the compact layout, which shouldn't be a problem for them since they are starting fresh, while I spent like 5 years with my MPC.

The other one I was thinking about but forgot to mention was the MC909. I think that might actually be a more capable instrument, with it's sampling AND ROM synth engine. It looks a little more difficult to pick up than the MPC, but also looks like it could be more rewarding as a stand-alone unit (as in, not within a synth studio). Only problem is it might be just a little too expensive. Still, worth looking in to.

I really feel like the Korg ESX might not be what they are looking for, between limited sample memory and a funny interface, I think it could be a great tool and know a lot of people like them, but for what they are trying to do, I don't think it would be the right choice.

Fruity Loops would be a pretty cool solution, but I don't think they can afford a good enough laptop to run the thing smoothly. Still I'll have them check out a demo and see how they like it.

The RM1X looks like a good bet. Price wise it it seems cool, and like the MC, it has a lot of different sounds and patterns and looks pretty easy to use, though the lack of sampling kind of hurts it a bit. Maybe coupling this and an older Akai rackmount sampler would be a good combo...

A MachineDrum is an interesting choice, but, and maybe this is a bit unfair, it sort of seems "sound specific". What I mean is, while it has a very wide range of sounds with the FM modules (or whatever they are called) and Userwave and all that stuff, it's still BASICALLY an analog drum machine. I think they might want to get a little more diversity than that form whatever they get.

I don't know about those 80's sequencers, some of those are a little less than user-friendly, however, I did think about the idea, perhaps something a little more user-friendly like a Yamaha QY70 (or similar), coupled with a sampler, and maybe a Nord Lead2 or sound module or something... That would be a really powerful little setup for VERY few bones...

Hell you could put together a Sequencer/Sound Module (Qy70/RM1X), VA/Drum Machine/Vocoder/Noise synth (Nord Micro Modular) and Sampler (Akai rack) for about $400-600...

or a Yamaha RS7000 (sampling, sequencing) and Nord Lead2 for like $1000...

Fun stuff...

• Members

The MPC1000 is definately the way to go, they like the 2000XL, and the 1000 is better in pretty much every way except for build quality and pad feel. (I've used both, and own a 1000)

Second hand prices of the blue and red ones should be dropping now that the black ones are out, just be careful of dead pads. I've had mine since they first came out and I've had two pads die on me.

A good way to test them is to turn on the full level and then lightly touch each pad in program mode. If the display doesn't change to that pad there's a chance the pad could be dead, go to the other/pad screen and test suspect pads for a smooth velocity response.

The good news is dead pads are pretty easy to replace and only cost US$16 each. If you're looking at a second hand machine and it has suspect pads, try and knock off about $25 for each dodgy pad.

• Members

Thanks Robo'Squid, I'll be sure to pass along the advice. I wonder though, is the same true for the 2kXL in terms of separate pad replacement?

And as for the 1000, yeah, I mean, I just don't like it because I'm really used to my 2k... but as you said, aside from build quality and maybe layout, there isn't much difference, and in some ways, the 1000 surpasses the 2kXL.

Any other issues anyone has with the 1000? Dead pads seem to be a common thing, which is a bit funny considering their short life-span so far... but I suppose they had to cut corners some how...

One last thing, are the effects, filters, etc... CC controllable/assignable? I know no such thing exists on the MPC (aside from some basic Velocity assigning and certain parameters [start, stop, etc...]).

• Members

Originally posted by dxdreamer

an used MC909~ , others all in one doesn't sound close to professionals, sound quality wise

Yup! I know a guy, his whole band is just MC-909. He can buy more instruments, but dont want to. I've seen MC-909s on eBay going low as 550$.

• Members

Originally posted by hyperstationjr

Thanks Robo'Squid, I'll be sure to pass along the advice. I wonder though, is the same true for the 2kXL in terms of separate pad replacement?

And as for the 1000, yeah, I mean, I just don't like it because I'm really used to my 2k... but as you said, aside from build quality and maybe layout, there isn't much difference, and in some ways, the 1000 surpasses the 2kXL.

Any other issues anyone has with the 1000? Dead pads seem to be a common thing, which is a bit funny considering their short life-span so far... but I suppose they had to cut corners some how...

One last thing, are the effects, filters, etc... CC controllable/assignable? I know no such thing exists on the MPC (aside from some basic Velocity assigning and certain parameters [start, stop, etc...]).

Cheers! :)

The 1000 is the only MPC with seperate pads, in the others it's one big unit. In the others they're not so fragile though, so it's not really an issue.

The effects and filters can't be controlled externally through midi, although you can control two filters at a time with the Q-Link sliders. You can also use the sliders in the mixer page to control level and pan, and if you're in record mode it records the changes as part of the sequence, which it awesome. There are also envelopes for the filters, and there's two filters for each voice.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Originally posted by hyperstationjr

I

The RM1X looks like a good bet. Price wise it it seems cool, and like the MC, it has a lot of different sounds and patterns and looks pretty easy to use, though the lack of sampling kind of hurts it a bit.

I would not recommend it without an external sound source, the internal sounds are really as bad as all the reviews claim - but i do like the workflow/layout/functionality on it. Very flexible.

And if the reviews are right, then the bigger RS7K would be the thing to get (price/performance), but i have never tried it first hand, so can't really recommend it although i believe it might fit the bill.

Archived