• Members

with the 26 letters of the alphabet
67'108'863
different words can be written when each letter appears only once in the word

for example:

Aakoymbwenigdpcqhrultsjvxfz

or

Aelpsqxjuyfwtoigkrd

Aakoymbwenigdpcqhrultsjvxfz has two 'A's. In some dialects it starts with a further 'bp' usually lowercase and one more vowel; usually another 'a' but also an 'o' in the southernmost regions.

• Members

Aakoymbwenigdpcqhrultsjvxfz has two 'A's. In smoe daclteis it sttras wtih a fteuhrr 'bp' uualsly leascwore and one mroe vweol; ullausy antheor 'a' but aslo an 'o' in the snsrutmheoot riogens

ohh, taht was jsut a tpyo

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

• Members

Abstract though it may be, this is the point. Rules and possibilities pertaining to a system of communication. Unlike psychobabble though, your modes and progressions have distinct and readily absorbed qualities. Maybe you're trying too hard to pinpoint the meaning and missing the event? There are very thorough ear training methods in use at competent schools. Ask around.

• Members

Back on topic, modal playing can be overwhelming. Look, I've been playing for 26 years (as a hobby not professionally) but I'm now taking lessons to learn just these things - music theory. I took a year (cut short due to moving) of classical lessons but there was almost no mention of music theory! It was more about doing the etudes and performance. Now I have a teacher who is a jazz/progressive guitarist and who knows his theory (a student of Robin Trower no less).

Teaching oneself complex things is very frustrating. If you can't get help online or in books, find a teacher or someone willing to give up some of their time to educate you. It really helps having another mind with the constructs they built to learn and use complex ideas passing that information on to you.

Keep going and best of luck!

• Members

For straight theory, piano might be excellent. But for practical *guitar* application - sucky, sucky. Guitar is far more complex and sometimes very much limited compared to a piano (piano = linear array of notes, no repeats; guitar = 2D array of notes with overlaps and a particularly exciting shift). This is why I think piano players tend to be very solid on theory whereas a vast number of guitarists are not very up on it (if at all).

For instance, show a person learning piano a C major scale and that person can play that scale anywhere backwards, forwards, starting here or there - the pattern never changes. On a guitar, there are many, many ways to play a scale (down a single string, CAGED, 3NPS, 3NPS-shift, and so on). Theory is the same but application between the two are different universes (unless you are one of those really good musicians who maps theory to any instrument well - unfortunately, not all of us are or ever will be that good).

• Members

hey freetime, music colleges offer a degree in music after 4 years of study. Be patient and learn. There is a lot of theory but it doesnt have to be complicated. Just a lot to learn.

Start with the basics and go from there.

I highly suggest you start here... http://lessons.mikedodge.com/

considering its free and its really good explanation and beats most books out there. Once you understand everything on that site then you are good to go with more advance music theory.

• Members

For straight theory, piano might be excellent. But for practical *guitar* application - sucky, sucky. Guitar is far more complex and sometimes very much limited compared to a piano (piano = linear array of notes, no repeats; guitar = 2D array of notes with overlaps and a particularly exciting shift). This is why I think piano players tend to be very solid on theory whereas a vast number of guitarists are not very up on it (if at all).

For instance, show a person learning piano a C major scale and that person can play that scale anywhere backwards, forwards, starting here or there - the pattern never changes. On a guitar, there are many, many ways to play a scale (down a single string, CAGED, 3NPS, 3NPS-shift, and so on). Theory is the same but application between the two are different universes (unless you are one of those really good musicians who maps theory to any instrument well - unfortunately, not all of us are or ever will be that good).

Well the guy jams in Dorian and cant even tell. Has nothing to do with fretboard mechanics.

Archived