George Benson - Art of Jazz Guitar

• Members

He's known for his "Benson pick technique" (described in detail on Tuck Andress's site) but damn, he rips with just his thumb. Anyway, somebody put up this video in 7 parts. So far, I've found it quite entertaining and informative

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The weakness of most celebrity guitarist video lessons is that they're usually not great at explaining what they do, and have long moved on from what they're best known for by the time they do them.

I own a copy of the Benson DVD. His arrangement of Danny Boy with the simulated bagpipe harmonics is interesting, but playing traditional Irish tunes on nylon-string is not what made him famous.

And kind of funny when he says he found out he's part Irish, but certainly possible.

• Members

I watched that on youtube. It's a good watch, but I really got nothing out of it. Sometimes the greatest guitarists make the lousiest teachers if they can't put into words what they're doing.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone own the Mclaughlin DVD?

http://www.mediastarz.com/shopThisIsTheWayIDoIt.php

It's big bucks, but if there's one guy on this planet whose worth over a hundred bucks for a couple DVD lessons, it's him. His playing is so alien to me, and I'd love to at least attempt to understand some of the things he plays.

• Members
I watched that on youtube. It's a good watch, but I really got nothing out of it. Sometimes the greatest guitarists make the lousiest teachers if they can't put into words what they're doing.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone own the Mclaughlin DVD?

http://www.mediastarz.com/shopThisIsTheWayIDoIt.php

It's big bucks, but if there's one guy on this planet whose worth over a hundred bucks for a couple DVD lessons, it's him. His playing is so alien to me, and I'd love to at least attempt to understand some of the things he plays.

Ironically, I read a lot of the same sort of negative comments about McLaughlin's DVD that have been posted about Benson's. :lol:

If I could afford McLaughlin's DVD set, of course I'd get it. Any kind of insight I could get off it would be worth every penny to me. I've already found some cool {censored} off of Benson's posted videos that I feel I can actually use.

• Members

I got that vid as a gift. I think it's great. I've never been much for instructional videos though and that's probably why I like it. I got the Jimmy Bruno vid at the same time, and have no use for it. I guess technically it's a better instructional video, but then again I think it depends on what you're trying to learn.

Archived