Best method/books for learning music theory?

• Members

Well, I've been playing for about 8 years now, and I feel that I'm at a point where not knowing music theory is holding me back. Or looking at it another way, I think learning theory could help me in some ways when writing songs.

I've tried to learn theory a couple times, but I easily grew frustrated and gave up. It does not come easy to me, but I am prepared to really learn it this time. So, I was wondering if there was a particularly good method/book for dummies like me that you all could recommend? I feel like something that's like a textbook, that maybe has quizzes/problems or something to force you learn the material before moving onto a new topic, if that makes sense. Something that helps you chart your progress. Thanks!

• Members

I recommend Mike Hoffman's book "Serious Guitar". Here's his website: http://www.seriousguitar.com/

He does have "quizzes" and practicing-type homework per chapter.

For me, this book answered all my questions about keys and modes, and goes a long way toward providing guidance in how to "choose correct notes" from scales when soloing, vs. playing a scale blindly. He even provides recommended books for those wanting to develop their phrasing further after they understand how scales and keys work and interrelate.

• Members

if you know basic theory on the piano, you know advanced theory on the guitar.

i learned how to play the piano first, and it makes a whole lot more sense when it's laid out on a keyboard. scales, modes, chord construction is all VERY intuitive.

from there, all you have to do is learn the note names on the guitar and apply what you've learned.

• Members

Awesome, thanks. I'll check both of those out.

Any other books/websites that have "homework"? I feel like that's the best way for me to learn it- approach it like a class.

You said you write songs, so you could use your own songs as homework.

Theory is not needed to write songs, but it is useful for analyzing songs after they have been written. So for each of your own songs try this:

1. Identify the tonal center of the song - in other words, what key is it in?

2. If your song has chords, identify which chords are the I, IV and V chords. So if your song is in A major, the I chord would be A major, and the IV chord would be D major.

3. If your song has a melody, identify the key of the melody, and identify the interval between each note of the melody. Bonus assignment: Identify the duration of each note, using a metronome.

• Members

This is something that to me is not up for discussion. THE BEST heory book in existence for all genres of music is:

The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine (Sher Publishing)

BEST THEORY BOOK WHICH ADDRESSES EVERYTHING THERE IS TO ADDRESS!!

While I agree with you and tealightcandles on this, I might add that for a beginner level student that book might be a little deep, in my opinion.

It's possible that some of the more shallow-end-of-the-pool books that might not scare off beginners as much.

• Members

I don't think I learned theory from any particular book - In fact, I think I learned more from various guitar teachers I've had in the past. The advantage of learning from a good teacher is that they can regulate how much new information you receive at a time and make sure you can integrate and apply it before learning more.

My experience with books has always been a tendency to rush through to the next concept. I've learned to slow myself down over the years to really assimilate the material, but a good teacher who knows you can help to pace yourself.

• Members

if you know basic theory on the piano, you know advanced theory on the guitar.

i learned how to play the piano first, and it makes a whole lot more sense when it's laid out on a keyboard. scales, modes, chord construction is all VERY intuitive.

from there, all you have to do is learn the note names on the guitar and apply what you've learned.

I've said this a couple times. It's a point lost on guys ten, twenny years into guitar.

• Members

I think learning
theory
could help me in some ways when
writing songs

One more book recommendation, for doing homework:

51KQFWP7RML._SS500_.jpg

You will need sheet music paper to use the book. It introduces you to the basics of composing. Yes, you already write songs (ie. compose), but each lesson in the book introduces a little more theory which you are then asked to use in a composing assignment(homework) for that lesson.

• Members

So this is wierd. I seached google for sites in australia matching "the jazz theory book". Second in the list was this promising looking link. Check out the suggestions that accompany this book....

http://au.shopping.com/xPO-Media-SDC-The-Jazz-Theory-Book

GaJ

Well once you master Jazz who knows what doors will open for you....:love:

On topic, buy a Casio keyboard and learn your theory on a piano.

• Members

So this is wierd. I seached google for sites in australia matching "the jazz theory book". Second in the list was this promising looking link. Check out the suggestions that accompany this book....

GaJ

I changed my mind. The best theory book is: "Sin's Apprentice"

Hands down.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived