Recommendations for Guitar Teacher in Boston

• Members

Boston is a hotbed of music teachers, as you have Berklee, New England Conservatory and many other colleges with music departments in a very small area... It depends on the area of study you wuold be interested in. Jon Finn, who actually posts on here, is a professor at Berklee... I know many other teachers from there.. Mick Goodrick is there.. Last I was there, John Abercrombie taught privately... There are TONS of gifted players/instructors there to choose from...

• Members

How To Choose a Good Guitar Instructor

Do not look for a guitar teacher at a music store. Music stores are mainly interested in selling equipment. They likely have first rate equipment and second rate teachers. Go to a music studio, where their first concern is teaching. They will likely have first rate teachers and some even sell second rate equipment.

Here are some questions you should ask.

1) How long have you been teaching?

2) How many students do you presently have?

3) How many of your students have been with you over one year?

4) Ask for two or three references.

5) What structure do you use for teaching?

6) Do you teach your students to read music?

7) What types of music do you teach?

8) How much do you charge and what are the lengths of your lessons?

Numbers 5 and 6 are, in my opinion, the most important.

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions! You are the one paying for them and you deserve to get the best teacher you can for your money. Lessons are not cheap!

Here is a second source you may be interested in. It is a well thought out and well structured course.

http://www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/

• Members
Not to hijack this guy's thread but do you guys have any tips on how to go about finding a guitar teacher for my 8 year old daughter?

Like Danny said, try Craigslist, your local publications, etc.

My first guitar teacher was a music store dude. :facepalm:

At her age, just about any teacher will do. Save the money for the higher level teachers after she's put in a few years and has given you a clearer indication of where she wants to take her playing.

• Members

Do not look for a guitar teacher at a music store.

I totally disagree with this statement. Around here, teachers at music stores rent space from the store and have no vested interest in the sales of equipment. As a matter of fact, the teachers can't take credit cards, because you'd have to run them through the store's machine, which would mess up accounting.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of the advice in this post. Ask questions, if you like the answers, give them a try.

To me the most important thing at the early stages is "is your daughter having fun". If the answer to that is yes, the rest should fall into place.

• Members

I totally disagree with this statement. Around here, teachers at music stores rent space from the store and have no vested interest in the sales of equipment. As a matter of fact, the teachers can't take credit cards, because you'd have to run them through the store's machine, which would mess up accounting.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of the advice in this post. Ask questions, if you like the answers, give them a try.

To me the most important thing at the early stages is "is your daughter having fun". If the answer to that is yes, the rest should fall into place.

TB: That is the first time, I've ever heard of that. I can see where my advice would not apply in that case. I will modify my advice to include that in the future. Thanks, Flip.

• Members

Hi all,

Colleague at work is asking about learning to play, and I thought i'd see if anyone has recommendations for guitar teachers in Boston.

How long has your colleague been playing?

What does he/she want to learn?

• Members

yeah theres tons of great teachers as mentioned but if hes just starting out, he wont need the great ones just yet. plus they are much more expensive than say, a music store teacher

Just starting out is the most critical time to have a great teacher!

• Members

Great teacher for beginners is largely about fun and enthusiasm. Chemistry is tough to quantify but I would look for someone who seems full of positive energy. Lots of sullen musicians out there.

Listen for the words "We'll be keeping it fun"

fun fun fun

• Members

Just starting out is the most critical time to have a great teacher!

sorry i meant expensive teachers with advanced subject matter. i teach advanced things out of my house and nothing else. i have to teach everything under the sun in my music store

Archived