Guitar Strumming Pattern / Rhythm Question

• Members

Is it normal and correct to sometimes change the strumming pattern/rhythm in a song or song section (for example, one strumming/rhythm pattern in the verse and another in the chorus or bridge)? It seems some songs keep a steady strumming pattern throughout the entire song and I was wondering if this is the norm or if changing it up is ok.

Thanks for any help.

• Members

Honestly Jack, you can do whatever the hell you like!..:)..if it sounds good to you, it's all good. In a pop context, listen to The Beatles and their masterful use of different rhythm guitar feels during a song..from something as simple as "Love Me Do" which is basically the same all the way through, to something like "All my loving" which has a fierce rhythm pattern during the verses and much more laid back "stabs" for the chorus.

• Members

Is it normal and correct to sometimes change the strumming pattern/rhythm in a song or song section (for example, one strumming/rhythm pattern in the verse and another in the chorus or bridge)? It seems some songs keep a steady strumming pattern throughout the entire song and I was wondering if this is the norm or if changing it up is ok.

Thanks for any help.

Normal and healthy :thu:

As for "correct" there is no such concept in the world of rhythm...

• Members

I think that it's more common to switch it up than not. Although, it depends on what type of music you are playing, etc. I say do research on the music that you like. Listen to 20 of your favorite songs and learn the strumming patters for the verse, chorus, bridge, interludes, intro, outro.

Sometimes what you want to go for is contrast between the verse and chorus to really make that chorus shine. What is common in pop music is something like this example:

Verse: Quiet, Short Notes, Sparse Quick Strumming, Low Singing

Chorus: Louder, Long Notes, Bug Full Strums, High Singing

Even in harder music like Stone Temple Pilots' first two albums you can find this type of contrast.

But, in the end, do whatever you want!:thu:

Archived