When you learn songs by ear, do you...

• Members

Use a cassette tape, CD, or Mp3? I prefer cassette, even though they are really obsolete now, because it's easier to rewind/fast forward. The disadvantage is that they have poorer quality in sound than mp3's. So it's much harder to hear every single note clearly. Anyway, how do you prefer to learn songs?

• Members

Nowadays, I use "Transcribe"..it's brilliant. Really easy to use and you can really zero in on the guitar parts with all the eq options.

When I started though it was "lift the needle off the record" x 1 billion...:cry:

• Members
Nowadays, I use "Transcribe"..it's brilliant. Really easy to use and you can really zero in on the guitar parts with all the eq options.

When I started though it was "lift the needle off the record" x 1 billion...
:cry:

Yeah, I hear ya. The old days......:facepalm:

• Members

+1 for Transcribe.

I don't use the preset speeds, I open the "FX" dialog and use the speed slider for fine control. This is good both when figuring out but then also when practicing to get up to speed - set the slider where you can play it, and gradually work it up....

GaJ

• Members

Usually mp3 these days, occasionally a CD. If it's something fast like a metal solo I'll pull it into Logic and loop whatever measure or phrase I'm stuck on. That's really useful for things like that. 2-3 years ago some friends from work and I decided to perform "Eye of the Tiger" at a work party and I only had it on vinyl, so I learned it from that. I was proud of myself for doing it old school, but mp3 is certainly much faster and more convenient. And less wear and tear on the records!

• Members

Use a cassette tape, CD, or Mp3? I prefer cassette, even though they are really obsolete now, because it's easier to rewind/fast forward. The disadvantage is that they have poorer quality in sound than mp3's. So it's much harder to hear every single note clearly. Anyway, how do you prefer to learn songs?

Usually MP3, you can 'rewind' or go to a song section in an instant by clicking on the progress bar and slow down the parts you need to when you can't hear what's going on. I can't see any advantage to using a tape over an mp3 to be honest.

I heard in the old days Tommy Emmanual used to weigh his records down with coins to make them spin slower when trying to work out fast parts!

• 6 months later...
  • Members

are you kidding me? cassettes, while small and nowadays obsolete, still offer superior sound quality (assuming they have been properly cared for) to CDs. but the fact that you had the guts to say that MP3s (even a 128kb/ps or less file?) sound "better" than any cassette tape really crosses the line... it really depends on how the tape was mastered, and if that album is transferred from an analog master tape then certainly the CD version will be the inferior version compared to vinyl or cassette.

anyways, not to go off-topic, i prefer listening to MP3s (simply because i will not be able to put wear on my tapes and i don't have any CDs anymore).

Archived