How do I write psychedelic rock?

VanillaFudge

• Members

That's right. It's the music you thought you heard when you were on that trip. It doesn't exist in real life.

But then - hey, man - maybe we don't exist either?... The music is real, we're just a figment of its imagination... pass that bong....

Yeah, totally mann. Nothing is impossible except nothing itself.

• Members

Jon has given wonderful answers here!!! I would like to expound on them a bit.... First off, there is NO REAL WAY TO FORMULAICLY CREATE A PSYCHEDELIC SONG.... There are no specific chord progressions, or techniques (instrumentally speaking) to get you there. It's all about the VIBE you are trying to create.

now, if you are into the beatles brand of psychedelia, it's pretty pop oriented, and relies MOSTLY (as do most other psychedelic groups) on experimentation on a sonic front, whether that be guitar effects, vocal effects, analog synths, echo on the bass, whatever.... If you're into Floyd, they write very differently, meldocially and harmonically, than the Beatles. Hendrix, again, is more psychedelic because of his backwards leads, uni-vibe and wah wah pedal excursions and cool instrumentation....

What it SOUNDS LIKE you are trying to do is be more modern with it, fusing your metal influences with this new found love for psychedelic rock.

I would recommend listening to newer bands that embody the prog/psychedelic scenes' development.

A few that come to mind: Porcupine Tree, Mars Volta, Portugal The Man, Ozric Tentacles, Tortoise, Phish, the Black Angels, etc. etc.

There are tons of these bands. They all take certain influences from the sum total of bands they have been influenced by and generate their own unique style.

Honestly, you can even listen to some of MY stuff, on my myspace page.

I have one tune that is actually a tribute to Pink Floyd, called: "Paramecium".

But then I also have heavy tunes, jazzy tunes, etc.

Just start writing songs and the style will eventually come to you...

Good Luck, Broheem!!

• Members

Yeah, totally mann. Nothing is impossible except nothing itself.

No generalisation can be wholly true. Not even this one.

:)

"turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."

just watch out for the Crocodiles of Reality.... :D

(hey there's a great band name!)

• 5 months later...
  • Members

i want to bump this because i've begun the journey of writing my own music, and this is basically the type of music i hear in my head that i want to write. it's seriously just insane twisting psychedelic crazyness up there... i have to materialize it.

i'm just so afraid of write cookie cutter songs, so i always abandon the things i write because they sound too plain to me. i guess i just need to start fooling around with chord progressions until my head likes it? i wish i could find the perfect balance of a jazz approach with a groovy funk vibe.

• Members

i want to bump this because i've begun the journey of writing my own music, and this is basically the type of music i hear in my head that i want to write. it's seriously just insane twisting psychedelic crazyness up there... i have to materialize it.

i'm just so afraid of write cookie cutter songs, so i always abandon the things i write because they sound too plain to me. i guess i just need to start fooling around with chord progressions until my head likes it? i wish i could find the perfect balance of a jazz approach with a groovy funk vibe.

Psychedelia is not really about the chord changes - except to play around with unexpected ones, and maybe other structural things like metre (time sig) changes. (eg Happiness is a Warm Gun).

Mostly it's down to the disorienting effects you can get with various methods of processing the sound, such as flanging or phasing (the old 60s standby), backwards tracking, etc.

As well as the post-60s bands Danny namechecked, I'll mention Portishead, whose music was known as "trip-hop", but can easily come under the umbrella of psychedelia - such as this spooky track:

NB: nothing odd at all about the chord changes! The weirdness is all down to the production and the use of samples.

Listen to the production on these too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6rJn_TEu5Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiT0fBePR0Q&feature=related

The main thing here is the extreme compression - but you can take any normal effect to extremes and get sounds that will do for psychedelia.

Similar ball-park (more romantic, but just as spooky):

Again, chord-wise, totally traditional pop song stuff.

Radiohead can enter this space too:

Here's the Pixies with some good old-school psych (dig the title, man):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXdXcpNsv4

More "weird" value in the chords this time, less in the effects (but still some).

• Members

Oh yeah, some of my best sounds come from my Moog MuRF, i have an expression pedal for that too, so cool! I can get all the sounds under the sun with my pedals, so it's the moreso MUSIC i'm that concerned with. I can spend hours making super cool psychedelic soundscapes but i want to write some tunes!

I really dug those youtube examples Jon!

As I previously sorta mentioned, i just have this complex about writing... that whatever i write is too plain or boring. i just want this stuff to groove! so maybe i need to focus on the rhythm section parts instead, and add in the psychedelic flavor later. Writing is tough without a band to give you the bass/drums in the background to write to. and i havent heard a backing track that hasn't made me go 'wow, how cheesey!'

So what i've been doing is playing over long jams with a single or two chord vamp. i record my phrasing and when i play something that i really like, i save it and section it off in the 'build off of...' category.

Archived