Change to TinyLick

scolfax

• Members

Hey Folks,

I am going to make a change to TinyLick.com and would like your feedback. Currently licks look like this:

mgYAAA.jpg

I want to replace the Category (ex: "Lick") and Genre (ex: "Metal") with either a generic Title ("Joe Schmo's Metal Lick") or maybe one or more user-created free-form Tags ("joeschmo, lick, metal"). The goal is to make this new field searchable. In either case the categories and genre's for existing licks would be moved over to the new format.

I also plan on adding a Url field so that you can link to a YouTube video or your own lesson site, or wherever. And very likely a much larger Description field, also searchable.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks!

• Members

I want to replace the Category (ex: "Lick") and Genre (ex: "Metal") with either a generic Title ("Joe Schmo's Metal Lick") or maybe one or more user-created free-form Tags ("joeschmo, lick, metal"). The goal is to make this new field searchable. In either case the categories and genre's for existing licks would be moved over to the new format.

I also plan on adding a Url field so that you can link to a YouTube video or your own lesson site, or wherever. And very likely a much larger Description field, also searchable.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Hey Scolfax! I love your site. That is a cool idea.

Not sure about your ideas (cause I'm kind of in a rush sorry!) but the thing I always have trouble with or think maybe you should add is hammer and pull symbols... maybe some arrows for bends... everything else works cool

• Members
Hey Scolfax! I love your site. That is a cool idea.

Not sure about your ideas (cause I'm kind of in a rush sorry!) but the thing I always have trouble with or think maybe you should add is hammer and pull symbols... maybe some arrows for bends... everything else works cool

Thanks for the feedback. The standard text-based tab notation already has hammers , pulls

, bends , and releases :

nAYAAA.jpg

• Members
Add some time (quarter, eight noites, etc) maybe not like classical notation but something that can help tab form
:D

I'm considering graphical updates like this (essentially standard notation above the tab) for the next *big* release, it might even require Flash.

Can you give an example of what that would look like in text-based tab?

• Members

Man - you're Mr TinyLick!? I love it!

The thing I wish most for is the ability to go back and edit my lick.

The other thing that would be good is "insert" and "delete" for any given position. IE sometimes you want to add in a gap where you can put more notes, or take one out.

I agree a Text title would be nice.

I just clicked on "most viewed" out of curiosity ... LoL the most viewed is the C Major Scale :)

GaJ

• Members
Man - you're Mr TinyLick!? I love it!

The thing I wish most for is the ability to go back and edit my lick.

The other thing that would be good is "insert" and "delete" for any given position. IE sometimes you want to add in a gap where you can put more notes, or take one out.

I agree a Text title would be nice.

I just clicked on "most viewed" out of curiosity ... LoL the most viewed is the C Major Scale
:)

GaJ

Thanks!

Editing, that's a good one. I really like the insert/delete idea.

Most Viewed and Latest Licks pages aren't really useful, that's why I'm thinking of replacing them with a search feature. The biggest problem with Latest Licks is that most first-time users just click around at random to see what the site will do. I end up with lots of bogus entries because of it. But I'd hate to add a CAPTCHA or something to fix that, the whole point of the thing is to be super-simple.

• Members

Super simple is for sure the absolute charm of your site. Indeed, I had a "uhoh" feeling when you mentioned flash, for this reason.

At one point you did have "log in" though, right? I used to have a "my licks" thingo, I could have sworn?

Certainly, when I said "I want to be able to edit my licks", I was meaning coming back to them later, as well as just the one that I did in my current session, which means log in. That's because you post a lick here, someone points out you goofed, you need to go fix it :)

If you have log in, then you could limit "latest licks" to those submitted by people who took the trouble to log in. I don't think you need to protect your login with CAPTCHA. And absolutely don't make it mandatory to log in. I have lots of feedback that no-one submits reviews at The Guitar Lesson Guide because they don't want to create yet another account just to do something quick like submit a small review ... or make a tiny lick.

On the other hand, I'd be prepared to log in in order to be able to save my tink licks and come back and edit them.

GaJ

• Members
Super simple is for sure the absolute charm of your site. Indeed, I had a "uhoh" feeling when you mentioned flash, for this reason.

At one point you did have "log in" though, right? I used to have a "my licks" thingo, I could have sworn?

Certainly, when I said "I want to be able to edit my licks", I was meaning coming back to them later, as well as just the one that I did in my current session, which means log in. That's because you post a lick here, someone points out you goofed, you need to go fix it
:)

If you have log in, then you could limit "latest licks" to those submitted by people who took the trouble to log in. I don't think you need to protect your login with CAPTCHA. And absolutely don't make it mandatory to log in. I have lots of feedback that no-one submits reviews at The Guitar Lesson Guide because they don't want to create yet another account just to do something quick like submit a small review ... or make a tiny lick.

On the other hand, I'd be prepared to log in in order to be able to save my tink licks and come back and edit them.

GaJ

Thanks for your input, it really helps.

I never wanted to have logging-in, to maintain the simplicity, but I did add it at one point so that you could add embedded YouTube videos and vote videos/licks up/down. It was an effort to add, and literally nobody used it. The only good thing about that was the "My Licks" page, but you can keep track of licks you care about with bookmarks.

I might just allow anyone to edit any lick and generate a new Url for it. Along with Insert/Delete that might make a nice set of new features.

Nobody has commented on the Tagging, so looks like I'll add the Title pretty soon.

• Members

It's wierd, isn't it, how us web designers can see that things would be so cool if people would log in, but they wont!

Geez, I do. In fact, I don't think literally no-one used it, because I'm sure I did :) I wanted to see if I could get back one of my licks and edit it lol.

However, your idea about edit-via-create-new-based-on-old is just fine.

And ... if there is an "author" field searchable, then I can find mine that way, too...

One day I'll get off my bum and take the login off my site also, see if that changes the use pattern over there.

GaJ

• Members
I'm considering graphical updates like this (essentially standard notation above the tab) for the next *big* release, it might even require Flash.

Can you give an example of what that would look like in text-based tab?

Something like this (its kinda of a dumb image, but its the idea :D)

tinylick.jpg

Archived