Using arpeggios tastefully and musically

• Members

When something is contrived and then learned by rote ,odds are that such repetition will

reduce "emotional content". As Bruce Lee points out in "Enter the dragon" ,such an approach should get your ass kicked! Bach is an excellent example to learn from. I was listening to the "24" as a child before "neo-classical " playing became popular. Bach intentionally left space for individual interpretation and improvisation. One needs to develope a voice in real time to get emotionally involved.

I don't agree with what you're saying but I respect your opinion I suppose. But I think we're straying from the point of this thread a little bit, which is actually touching on some great points that I've been studying the last couple days when practicing.

This is about sharing arpeggios and how to use them best when improvizing. Classical music obviously is a great tool for this, aside from being great music in itself.

Thanks all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also to note the thing that differentiates the Bach pieces from everything else is the lack of repetition.

Ummm...I'm sorry, but that's so untrue it's absurd. There is an enormous amount of repetition in Bach's cello suites; perhaps more so than in any other music he wrote. I am not implying in any way that the repetition is bad...quite the contrary, the repetition is a huge part of the cohesiveness and logic of the pieces. But make no mistake, it IS loaded with repetition.

• Members

This is about sharing arpeggios and how to use them best when improvizing.

Come up with actual motives and melodies that incorporate, hint at, or are entirely constructed of arpeggios, rather than tearing through a bunch of arpeggio licks that the kiddies play at Guitar Center on Saturday afternoons, and you'll be onto something. Organize them into coherent musical phrases, and your problem is solved.

If you're looking for something that's purely 'emotional', then sing/scream/moan about how someone did you wrong, and people will imagine your playing is emotional, even if you're playing air guitar to a MIDI track.

• Members

BTW try to learn several of the pieces (or at least the ones that are playable on the guitar) from the Cello suites

All of them are playable on guitar...whether they translate well or not varies from piece to piece, but they are all most certainly playable (as are the Sonatas and Partitas for violin).

• Members

This is a great one and contains a couple great classic bebop lines. Instead of play arpeggio one or over the chords you're playing try some directional playing FROM chord tone TO chord tone instead of OVER the chord...(I've posted this here before, but it's definitely a musical way of playing through arpeggio's)

This is a little piece I pulled out of the song "Little Willie Leaps" many years ago. (this isn't necessarily from the song but something I came up with to show the fundamentals of creating some motion looking at the fundamentals of the song/progression)

It's a basic || Imaj7 | IIm V | IIIm VI | IIm V || progression played through twice. So it plays through the Imaj7 chord in the middle resolving to it at the end of the 8 bar phrase.

You can think of the IIm-V as the Key of F, and IIIm-VI as a IIm-V in the Key of G if you want, but it's much more musical to just learn to play FROM where you are TO where you're going, because once you take the thinking out of it you end up using notes that only have the purpose of MOVEMENT and have no "scale or Key name" without things getting really convoluted theory-wise.

The first four bars show you how to logically walk FROM chord to chord using the notes that aren't in Key to make the notes that are in Key sound less drab...

IOW, instead the common "play F Ionian/arp, play G Dorian/arp, Play C Mixolydian/arp, play etc...etc..." which tends to make it sound amateurish and lifeless playing OVER the chord on these types of progressions. These simple notes in between the chord tones give the normal chord tones life and purpose and they keep the line moving ahead.

The second four bars are some things I've picked from various places. There's some nice linear moving chromatic lines across bars 5 and 6. Bars 7 and 8 show you a 'must know' descending IIm-V bebop lick that I must have picked up from some Parker recordings at some point (maybe someone can remind me where it came from? but it's definitely Parker).

Anyway...

Those with Finale can get the file here to slow it down and stuff:

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Lessons/ChromResolvJazzLess1/jazzlesson1.mus

Other wise here's the MIDI:

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Lessons/ChromResolvJazzLess1/jazzlesson1.mid

A slower MIDI version:

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Lessons/ChromResolvJazzLess1/jazzlesson1-100bpm.mid

and the jpeg:

page0001.jpg

• Members

Ummm...I'm sorry, but that's so untrue it's absurd. There is an
enormous
amount of repetition in Bach's cello suites; perhaps more so than in any other music he wrote. I am not implying in any way that the repetition is bad...quite the contrary, the repetition is a huge part of the cohesiveness and logic of the pieces. But make no mistake, it IS loaded with repetition.

With respect - have you learned and played any of these pieces on guitar?

• Members

Arpeggio's based on the basic harmonies of three basic chord families (useful inside and outside a Diatonic Key)...

Another thing you can do is realize there are always three applicable arpeggio's for each type of chord family (maj7, m7, 7). This takes an understanding of arpeggio's and how chords are build and brings them together. What you do is build arps off the fundamental harmony of the chord. These are the arps per family:

maj7 - Build a triad/arp from the Root, M3, and M6 interval. IOW for Gmaj7 play G, Bm7, Em triads.

m7 - Build a triad/arp from the Root, m3, and 5. IOW for Am play Am9, Cmaj7, Em7 arpeggio's.

7- Build a triad/arp from the Root, M3, and 5. IOW, for D7 play D, F#mb5, Am7 arpeggio's.

You can build into them further tot eh 9, 11, and 13 but you'll end up with redundant tones that are already covers by the three basic arps, and you'd start specifying more modal type harmonies which are necessarily needed.

These basic harmonic arpeggio's can also be stretched our linearly to create great scales to use against these types of chords:

Gmaj7 - GBD, BDF#A, EGB - G A B D E F# - notice there is no 4/11 in the scale, these three arps by default exclude the 4/11, so this one scale covers the Major scale and the Lydian scale.

Am7 - ACEB, CEGB, EGBD - A B C D E G - notice there is no 6/13 in the scale, these three arps by defualt exclude the 6/13, many players use this scale as their "Minor scale" since it covers Dorian and Aeolian in one scale. Actually, you'll find many jazzer prefer the Cmaj7 and Em7 arps over the Am arp itself, it's at the heart of that CLASSIC Wes Montgomery/George Benson sound a lot of guitarist emulate.

D7 - DF#A, F#AC, ACEG - D E F# G A C - notice there is no 6/13, the meaning behind this one is a liitle more wide open in that anytime you take notes away from the Mixolydian scale it just sounds cooler.

• Members

Arpeggio's based on the basic harmonies of three basic chord families (useful inside and outside a Diatonic Key)...

Another thing you can do is realize there are always three applicable arpeggio's for each type of chord family (maj7, m7, 7). This takes an understanding of arpeggio's and how chords are build and brings them together. What you do is build arps off the fundamental harmony of the chord. These are the arps per family:

maj7 - Build a triad/arp from the Root, M3, and M6 interval. IOW for Gmaj7 play G, Bm7, Em triads.

m7 - Build a triad/arp from the Root, m3, and 5. IOW for Am play Am9, Cmaj7, Em7 arpeggio's.

7- Build a triad/arp from the Root, M3, and 5. IOW, for D7 play D, F#mb5, Am7 arpeggio's.

You can build into them further tot eh 9, 11, and 13 but you'll end up with redundant tones that are already covers by the three basic arps, and you'd start specifying more modal type harmonies which are necessarily needed.

These basic harmonic arpeggio's can also be stretched our linearly to create great scales to use against these types of chords:

Gmaj7 - GBD, BDF#A, EGB - G A B D E F# - notice there is no 4/11 in the scale, these three arps by default exclude the 4/11, so this one scale covers the Major scale and the Lydian scale.

Am7 - ACEB, CEGB, EGBD - A B C D E G - notice there is no 6/13 in the scale, these three arps by defualt exclude the 6/13, many players use this scale as their "Minor scale" since it covers Dorian and Aeolian in one scale. Actually, you'll find many jazzer prefer the Cmaj7 and Em7 arps over the Am arp itself, it's at the heart of that CLASSIC Wes Montgomery/George Benson sound a lot of guitarist emulate.

D7 - DF#A, F#AC, ACEG - D E F# G A C - notice there is no 6/13, the meaning behind this one is a liitle more wide open in that anytime you take notes away from the Mixolydian scale it just sounds cooler.

Gennation, thanks for your help. All your posts are informative.

• Members

My name might be shred but I don't necessarily only shred. This is for soloing in general. In any case your comment is really helpful at all and is moderately negative and spiteful. But s'all good.

Shred - the Rock genre. Guys with no sense of rhythm who in an attempt to sound virtuosic, stream sophomoric blocks of rapid sixteenths and/or triplets.

This flavor and level of musicality will always govern the impact of any series of notes; Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms - dunn mattuh. lol.

No spite. And certainly none personally directed.

• Members

Shred - the Rock genre. Guys with no sense of rhythm who in an attempt to sound virtuosic, stream sophomoric blocks of rapid sixteenths and/or triplets.

This flavor and level of musicality will always govern the impact of any series of notes; Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms - dunn mattuh. lol.

No spite. And certainly none personally directed.

Come on, nobody's saying any rock style is even remotely close in quality to the classic composers as far as how complex and evolved music it is. That being said, I still love rock, metal and fast electric guitars. And if they play a little classical influences stuff, not cheesy 80s {censored} but a new different spin on it maybe, I think that would sound cool and I suppose that's what this threat is kinda about. And I think it also depends on what you consider shred. Would you call Al DiMeola a shredder? I would, somebody else wouldn't I guess.

• Members

Come on, nobody's saying any rock style is even remotely close in quality to the classic composers as far as how complex and evolved music it is. That being said, I still love rock, metal and fast electric guitars. And if they play a little classical influences stuff, not cheesy 80s {censored} but a new different spin on it maybe, I think that would sound cool and I suppose that's what this threat is kinda about. And I think it also depends on what you consider shred. Would you call Al DiMeola a shredder? I would, somebody else wouldn't I guess.

Al Dimeola's not a favorite but he does have his moments - and his own take on pushing the envelope. I also like my share of distorted guitar - style and toan but what I listen for is the front to back musical experience. Not that I do any real listening in those genre but I rarely run across anything up to standard.

Player wise, Frank Gambale is a favorite, so are Scott Henderson, Guthrie Govan and a slew of others. Give a listen to those Italians in my Lead-o- Matic thread. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2805555-Lead-o-matica Couple of 'em have this prog fusionary bent. Immaculate chops, slick licks and a fair amount of musical flow. I was going to add those clips to this thread but didn't feel like writing a segue lol.

• Members

Lol, to one of my friends, Al Di Meola is synonymous with shred. For example, I played some tracks from David Torns' Cloud About Mercury album, and whenever Torn went nuts on the fretboard, this friend said "He's going Al Di Meola!!!". At some point, I said that he sounds more Holdsworth-ish to me there, and told him about this guy named Allan...

• Members

While I don't especially disagree with that statement, it's not one I would make without including jazz, fusion, country, and blues (etc etc etc) guys in that description. There are snake oil players in pretty much every genre; by no means have 'shredders' cornered the market on speed without purpose. At the same time, there are also wonderful players in those genres as well. Tasteful/distasteful playing seems to have little to do with genre, and much to do with the individual player.

If I'm reading that correctly, you're suggesting that a 'shredder' playing music by any of the above is still mere 'shredding', despite the quality of the material? On that, I would have to disagree...I would consider it merely a 'cross pollination' of styles, not unlike examples by Bela Fleck or Brian Setzer.

And if I read that incorrectly, please clarify what you meant (it came across a little ambiguous to me). :)

(For the record, I'm not a fan of 'shred' in general, probably for the same reasons as yourself)

• Members

Well the two statements are one statement. Yngwie thru SymphonyX thru those coroner school metal bands, Bad shred is bad. Doesn't matter what the notes are. As far as cross pollination, sure if the musicianship is commensurate with the material - nevermind the ambition.

• Members

Well the two statements are one statement. Yngwie thru SymphonyX thru those coroner school metal bands, Bad shred is bad. Doesn't matter what the notes are. As far as cross pollination, sure if the musicianship is commensurate with the material - nevermind the ambition.

You should qualify that statement with "IMO". Whether you like it or not doesnt make something BAD -just bad for you. For me,I dont consider Yngwie as bad shred. I may not like everything he does but I cannot deny his ability.

• Members

You should qualify that statement with "IMO". Whether you like it or not doesnt make something BAD -just bad for you. For me,I dont consider Yngwie as bad shred. I may not like everything he does but I cannot deny his ability.

Still in context of borrowing from the masters so it's less opinion than comparative. Perspective maybe. I do see that Yngwie is a milestone in electric guitar manipulation. How about Yngwie does a bang up job of banging up Bach and Paganini? lol.

• Members

Well the two statements are one statement. Yngwie thru SymphonyX thru those coroner school metal bands, Bad shred is bad. Doesn't matter what the notes are.

In this forum you posted a link to an amp demo, mentioning that you found a dozen 'killer players' in the process. The video you posted features a horrible, wank-o-riffic cheeseball fusion shredder with sub-par technique and zero musicality. Did you post it as an example of a bad player, or as your idea of a good one?

• Members

In this forum you posted a link to an amp demo, mentioning that you found a dozen 'killer players' in the process. The video you posted features a horrible, wank-o-riffic cheeseball fusion shredder with sub-par technique and zero musicality. Did you post it as an example of a bad player, or as your idea of a good one?

They're demoing the AMPs. One of the places is called Music OFF.

I heard colorful Govanesque moments and uh,.. guess what?

Arpeggios!!!1!11

I thought it witty and refreshing in contrast to the usual Batio/Gilbert/Yngwie fare.

Any way I liked most of what I heard.

• Members

Really? We are really going down the who uses chops best, fusion or shred metal? C'mon.....

Chops are just that...chops. Yes they impress young minds and inspire young spirits, no matter the genre. And they also bore those who aren't impressed with fretboard gymnastics.

Bottom line is if you ain't sayin nothin', you ain't sayin nothin'. Whether you run your musical pie hole at high or low speed.

The reason Holdsworth is genius isn't because of his swift legato, it is because of his artistry; his conceptualization of his vision and the effect it has on the listener. And I guarantee that 95% of the players on HCF will go "Meh. Complicated noodling." cuz they CAN"T FIND the artistry in what Allan does.

I have had MANY conversations with MANY musicians who think that complicated artistry is just plain selfish. I disagree cuz I need MORE art in my art. My art needs to be packed with depth, passion, aesthetics, craft of the highest level, and honest intention. But that doesn't mean that they don't have a point. Because more art, to me, doesn't necessarily mean more chops.

Cuz the thing that makes any art last is how it's integrity relates to it's audience.

Therefore, creating a "who's chops are more valid, shred metal or fusion?" is just silly. It is like arguing "which sport has more justified violence, Hockey or Football." :cop:

Non sequitur is as non sequitur does.

• Members

Ya twakinna me? :lol:

The question was 'musically and tastefully' and these guys - never heard of 'em nor the amps; these guys happen to shred gracefully.

Arps, tapping, - the whole nine yards if you go through the lot.

And where did Holdsworth come from? Since you brought him up, I like the now Holdsworth. He didn't used to land his phrases and passages so well - major fail I thought at the time.

Archived