Practice so much that your hands hurt?

bengerm77

• Members

So I've been playing a lot in the last few days, and my fingers on my hands hurt. Did I overdo it? I think obviously I did, but does this ever happen to anyone else? My knuckles, joints, and fingers are a bit hurty and stiff. Should I be drinking more milk or something?

Also what have I been working on this whole time?

• Members

From the bottom of that site page:

Disclaimer: The statements on this website have not been been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. The supplements sold on this website are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

I like soap. And milk. I know this for a fact, because I was once stony-broke in The Netherlands, and I found some bottles to take back for the refund. Lots of bottles. I had a choice :). I bought soap and milk. Lots of milk. Just enough soap.

• Members

I am VERY aware of any hand pains I have... If I feel any stress I IMMEDIATELY back off. Switch to a chording drill or reading or one of the myriads of slower drills you can do. No pain no gain IS bull{censored} where guitar is concerned. Take good care of your hands. Serious problems CAN happen and it is a real drag when they do. Prevention is the best.

• Members

Along this line, most players acquire enough chops and endurance to,

hurt themselves if they're not careful.

I try to stay in the window of muscle tone; where everything is fresh and responsive. And frankly this zone is where ALL your performing should be.
I usually end up going beyond - like jogging 10 miles instead of 5 and while it makes for a satisfying session, I'm pretty sure this has a toll on the progress aspect.

• Members

So I've been playing a lot in the last few days, and my fingers on my hands hurt. Did I overdo it? I think obviously I did, but does this ever happen to anyone else? My knuckles, joints, and fingers are a bit hurty and stiff. Should I be drinking more milk or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agMF4eaxOr4

Practising that sort of stuff would make my head hurt way before my hands hurt.:(

Do you actually like practising like that? Do you find it interesting? If you do, great. If not, find something interesting to play. (A song, a riff, a tune, a chord progression.)

But either way, stop when it starts to hurt. Pain in the fingertips (while they're toughening up) is acceptable up to a point - some discomfort is inevitable until you either develop calluses, or your skin just toughens. Pain elsewhere (eg in tendons, joints, muscles) is not: it's a warning sign.

Either you're doing it wrong, or you're doing it for too long.

There's no fixed "too long" time limit that applies to everyone. You know you've practised for long enough (today) if either:

1. you're getting bored; OR

2. it's starting to hurt; OR

3. People are throwing things at you and trying to tear the guitar out of your bleeding hands ;).

• Members

I get some pain too... here is my probably useless advice

1) be sure you're not doing anything dumb, like trying to learn barre chords on a classical guitar with wide fingerboard and insanely high action

2) play a little each day vs. cramming it all into one or two days a week

3) get your guitar set up by a pro

4) switch to light strings. I went to 9s. I think all this business about thick strings having better tone is b.s... at any rate you can learn on 9s and increase later as your hand strength develops.

5) Lay off the string bendy stuff for a bit. There are plenty of other things to work on.

6) Calm down, try to play stuff with the bare minimum of effort. Sometimes it sounds better too.

7) Adjust your guitar strap. Wherever it is, try looser or tighter but see if it's better in either direction. Try to pay attention to posture.

That said yesterday I tried to learn the solo in the middle of The Offspring's "Kids Aren't Alright" and it nearly tore my hand off and made me have to stop playing. I have the feeling I'm doing something wrong.

I think if I ever buy a second guitar it will be something with a shorter scale length. I really like the way Jaguars feel (24"). Even Les Pauls (24.75") feel a little easier for me.

• Members

Learn some stretching exercises.

Even after 35 years of playing I still work my hands until they hurt. Not a strain but a growth type of hurt. Sometimes it's cycling the same lick over over and over for an upcoming session or for a gig I get called on for a specific spot/tune. Or maybe it's a hardcore fingerpicking thing where I'll develop water blisters on my right hand fingers, clip them open, drain the water, and keep playing until they hurt so bad they become callouses.

I remember one recording session I worked so hard leading up to it that I had to wear fabric bandaids on all four of my left hand fingers to do the session. (those fabric bandaids are a GODSEND!)

I stretch my hands, arms, and shouldered throughout the day, everyday to keep them active. I always catch myself in the store, pumping gas, talking to clients, etc...and stretching my fingers and hands.

One time I had a speed metal piece I had to play and my speed metal technique involves the pinky side of my right hand to physically rub the strings for every note picked. I rubbed the side of my palm raw to the point of picking skin off from it. But, I had to play it with a band at hyper speed so I kept practicing. We played that show for about 3-4 weeks...I ended up with a solid callous about the size of a half dollar on the side of my palm!!!

There are other times I'll play so hard and so long that it take over a week for my hands to not feel tense or just not normal. I keep stretching them through the week, cracking knuckles, etc...but I also keep playing through the week...at this point my hands would be worse off if I didn't do what's normal.

There is a difference of pain-no-gain verses life long injury. It's takes year to understand it, and then a few more to trust yourself.

Archived