Best slow down program

• Members

This one probably doesn't have as many options as some of the others mentioned, but I use it for practicing phrases etc.

It's called PracticeSharp and it's free.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers!

How's it working?

Bad WOT rep. Not specific.

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/publisher.brothersoft.com

• Members

I bought Transcribe last night and liking it so far. how do you pan it left and right?

You can't actually pan in the usual sense - to hear everything from right or left - but on the "mono/karaoke", if you select "active" you can move between left and right; each side is delivered through both speakers, rather than just one. (This is arguably slightly confusing, but I've used the program for years and not found it an issue.)

Selecting "out of phase" will then remove anything panned dead centre (when the slider is dead centre); IOW, the nearer the slider is to the centre, the more the centrally mixed sound is removed.

• Members

You can't actually pan in the usual sense - to hear everything from right or left - but on the "mono/karaoke", if you select "active" you can move between left and right; each side is delivered through
both
speakers, rather than just one. (This is arguably slightly confusing, but I've used the program for years and not found it an issue.)

Selecting "out of phase" will then remove anything panned dead centre (when the slider is dead centre); IOW, the nearer the slider is to the centre, the more the centrally mixed sound is removed.

So it will play anything that is left or right on the recording but out of both speakers without the other side? that's better then playing it out of one speaker

• Members

So it will play anything that is left or right on the recording but out of both speakers without the other side? that's better then playing it out of one speaker

That's my understanding, yes - that seems to be the effect of moving the slider left or right.

Personally, I don't find this helping very much, on most recordings. Sometimes guitars (or whatever) are panned fairly hard left or right, but it's quite rare. Most instruments are off-centre to varying small degrees, and moving the slider only makes slight, subtle differences to the sound. Sometimes you find the same sound is present right across the stereo spectrum.

What's more useful (IMO) is the centre-removal ("out of phase") option, because that's where vocals usually are, and they're the things that most often mask guitars (moving the slider won't have much useful effect in that case).

Of course it only works on stereo recordings! And only those where vocals ARE panned dead centre, which is not all. And bass is often also panned centre, so that will get removed too, which can sometimes makes chords harder to determine.

What would be ideal (naturally!) would be a way of isolating individual instruments from the mix, but that's not possible from a normal stereo recording. (Transcribe's EQ options do their best, at least with very low or high frequencies, but you will never be able to get the guitar on its own.)

I have heard of a website where you can download multitrack audio of certain famous recordings (such as G'n'R) - and you can then load it into a free multitracker like Audacity and see and hear all the instruments individually. I can't remember the URL, anyone know it?

• Members

Can you use Transcribe to slow down clips on YouTube?

Yes. If you only need the audio, just record straight into Transcribe (it will record streaming audio in real time, if you have your computer sound set up right).

You can also get youtube-MP3 converters, but I don't bother - realtime recording is no problem.

If you want the video too, you need to download it - using any suitable free software - and then convert it - using any other suitable free software. (There are tips in the help files.) This is a bit of a pain, but does work.

I use youtubedownloader

http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

and pazera PSP video converter

http://download.cnet.com/Pazera-Free-FLV-to-AVI-Converter/3000-2194_4-10786669.html

but others (maybe better) are available. (You need to convert the youtube FLV to MP4 or MOV, btw.)

When you open the converted video in Transcribe, you get the usual audio waveform window, plus a small video window. Your usual slowdown controls will control that too. There's also a little slider under the video window to let you put the video in sync with the audio if you need to - youtube videos are often out of sync.

It can be rather hard to see fine detail with this window (video resolution from youtube is often poor), but you can usually see whereabouts on the neck a guitarist is putting his fingers (and of course whether he's using a capo or not), which is -along with the audio - normally all you need.

• Members
What's this run for a good working version?

Not sure what you're asking. Transcribe is shareware, which means you get the full version for a month's free trial. After that, you get warning messages to register; current price is $39. When I got it, I found you could sidestep registration by just clicking away the messages. I used it for another month like that, but then decided it was such a good program they deserved my money! (And of course you then all the updates free.)

• Members

Hi, Steadfastly!

I can highly recommend this freebie for the Flash video conversion to a format supported by Transcribe:

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free

Transcribe supports MOV video files, the QuickTime format. In Any Video Converter, select the MP4 option as the conversion format. This works a treat in Transcribe.

AVC is extremely stable....I've never had any problems at all. At the end of conversion, a window pops up asking if you'd like to upgrade to the pro version. Just click "NO' if you don't want to, and this window closes.

There's a click to a Mac version at the AVC site.

Along with Irfan View, the free and wonderful graphics editor/audio player for PC, AVC is at the top of my best-ever freebies chart! I've tried other free video converters and none has been anywhere near as user-friendly as AVC.

Archived